• Petra,
    i'm glad to hear things are improving with Otis.

• Houston

We got Otis results back from Dr DOdds and his thyroid is A OK..however today he attacked a friend of ours 6 yr old daughter and grazed her on her buttocks. I am feeling like this is the end of the road and that I am out of options..

• @Basenjimamma:

We got Otis results back from Dr DOdds and his thyroid is A OK..however today he attacked a friend of ours 6 yr old daughter and grazed her on her buttocks. I am feeling like this is the end of the road and that I am out of options..

He just surprise attacked her from behind? Did she have any interaction with him at all before that?

• Houston

Several times..her sister and her spend almost every friday at our house, so Otis knows her very well
    He was laying on the dog quilt in the living room playing with a toy when she came through the living room to go outside..She was maybe 3-4 feet from him when he got up and just charged her, she turned and tried to run away and he got her on her buttocks.

• It wasn't like a play attack but a mean I'm going to hurt you thing? Buddy has charged me from behind with a surprise bite but it's a rowdy play thing.

• Houston

She has bite marks on her little butt..no this was far from play.

• I didn't hear you saying anything like this until now…Is he having some pack order issues with Moses being in the household? What is Moses' maturity level? (Teenager, young adult, etc) Just wondering if something has been brewing between them under the surface.

The only dog bite I have ever received was a bonzai attack from behind as I was leaving the home. It was a West Highland Terrier that got me. I had been petting him not five minutes before he bit me. I never did figure out why he bit me. No growl, no warning...just bolted from across the room and got me. Maybe some of the experts can help explain it...

I'm so sorry you're having trouble with Otis.

• @AJs:

I didn't hear you saying anything like this until now…Is he having some pack order issues with Moses being in the household? What is Moses' maturity level? (Teenager, young adult, etc) Just wondering if something has been brewing between them under the surface.

The only dog bite I have ever received was a bonzai attack from behind as I was leaving the home. It was a West Highland Terrier that got me. I had been petting him not five minutes before he bit me. I never did figure out why he bit me. No growl, no warning...just bolted from across the room and got me. Maybe some of the experts can help explain it...

I'm so sorry you're having trouble with Otis.

I was thinking about Moses as well. Seems Otis has had this biting thing escalate since Moses arrived. Not that Moses is fighting to be the alpha dog just that Otis feels threatened.

• It would be a wise thing to keep him in his kennel at this point, that kind of bite is a serious thing. Was there any "noise" "warning" first? Or just straight up went for them? Where were the other dogs when this happened?

• Houston

As far as I know it was very sudden, caught her off guard and freaked her rightfully out.
    The other dogs were outside in the back yard enjoying the spring weather, Otis was outside as well, until he came in about 15 minutes before this incident..I had the door opened so they walked in and out as they pleased, the kids too.

Moses is 10 1/2 months and very non confrontational, will cower if Otis comes at him or if he has a bone/toy or is sleeping where Otis wants to sleep he will drop the bone/toy and get up and leave the spot for Otis…Otis dominates Moses very much..

• -Even though he is neutered, there had not really been enough time for the testosterone to be flushed from his system, so you are still dealing with the temperment/etc of an intact dog.

-Moses may or may not be an issue. Yes, it does seem like many problems cropped up when M came along, but it is also the same time frame that O would be reaching maturity. Maybe a combination? Maybe the arrival of M, maybe just poor timing. Just because O dominates M, doesn't me that the presence of M is not troublesome for O.

-The bite sounds like it could be O being overthreshold/overstimulated. Playing with a toy, playing outside, kids running around, etc, could put O overthreshold. And it does take time for an animal to come down from an adreneline rush. (more on this, i suggest reading (surprise!) Control Unleashed and playing lots of the Off Switch game)

-Or perhaps the bite was preditory drift?
    http://www.alldogsgym.com/content/view/378/
    squealing children can trigger preydrive.

that's my two pennies worth of thoughts

• Houston

He bit my husband before Moses entered our lives by a month or so, maybe Moses coming in escalated things, maybe not..my untrained eye have a hard time seeing that..

I realize his neutering will take a while to go into effect " hormone wise", so I am not expecting wonders, that wouldn't be fair for him.

Over stimulation, maybe, but this is how our house is, kids playing, dogs running around and roosters crowing. We have a normal household with a 5yr old and a 9 yr old..4 dogs and lots of other things going on..we thrive on it, but maybe Otis is not.
    We are talking about what needs to happen from here out..he is my angel and always will be, maybe he isn't supposed to be here though..

• Petra i am so sorry to hear about Otis, you must be worried sick. Do you know anyone who would take him who have no children and possibly where he is the only Dog. I know you have his best interests at heart as well as the rest of your family.

• @agilebasenji:

-Even though he is neutered, there had not really been enough time for the testosterone to be flushed from his system, so you are still dealing with the temperment/etc of an intact dog.

-Moses may or may not be an issue. Yes, it does seem like many problems cropped up when M came along, but it is also the same time frame that O would be reaching maturity. Maybe a combination? Maybe the arrival of M, maybe just poor timing. Just because O dominates M, doesn't me that the presence of M is not troublesome for O.

-The bite sounds like it could be O being overthreshold/overstimulated. Playing with a toy, playing outside, kids running around, etc, could put O overthreshold. And it does take time for an animal to come down from an adreneline rush. (more on this, i suggest reading (surprise!) Control Unleashed and playing lots of the Off Switch game)

-Or perhaps the bite was preditory drift?
    http://www.alldogsgym.com/content/view/378/
    squealing children can trigger preydrive.

that's my two pennies worth of thoughts

Agile thank you for posting this, i have read the article on preditory drift and it helps me make sense of what happens with Malaika.
    Usualy as soon as i go down on the floor to play with her, usualy a retrieving game, she quickly begins to leap at me and bites hard. If i yelp she becomes even more excited and the behaviour escalates.
    She isn't as bad with my husband.
    Needless to say i stop play immediately but it's frustrating to say the least.

• Houston

Sheller.

We are looking into having him rehomed, the last thing I want is him being put down. I think, and speaking with BRAT, they also think, he would do great in a home with less action, meaning no kids, only dog or maybe one dog friend. He is a great dog, very loving, but seems to be on the wrong path in his life right now.
    I will keep you all posted as to what is going on..but as of right now he is here with us and is doing well, under constant supervision, or course.

• Petra, I can only imagine how hard this is for you, I know you adore Otis. Finding him a home better suited to him at this point in his life is a very loving thing to do. He is a sweet dog with some "situational" issues, so hopefully you will find him a home soon.

Best of luck to you all,
    Anne

• Petra,

Can I just put a bit of a different slant on Otis's situation, for you to think about… Please bare with me, trying to make a long story short :)...

Reading on another dog site, where a German Shepard lived for 6 years being a loved family member. This family had 3 kids themselves, but also fostered other kids from babies to young teens. A very busy, active family, people coming and going all the time, all times of the day and night. G.S was fine till recently, when he began to display unprovoked attacks/bites, on the foster children only, not on his family members, (at least not that Im aware of). People walking through the house, etc. Was offered a lot of info from the Forum, (and I will just add, the original poster was also offered a lot of nastiness, but thats a whole different issue :mad:), which she followed up on.

Anyway, I have placed an 18 month old Cattle Dog in a home with 3 young kids, and this boy, (who has been recently castrated), was also nipping the kids friends, washing machine repair man, her friends etc, etc. NOT the children of the house though. Long story short, I emailed this lady with the G.S. to let her know I was going through the same issue with my placed boy, (thankfully this incredible dog savvy lady seems to be getting things sorted out, with Nosh, with our input, and her common sense !!).

As it turns out, I got a followup email from the G.S owner, yesterday... She got his thyroid tested, and he was normal. She had behaviorists in to help with his issues etc, etc. She did everything in her power to try to sort her boy out. Unfortunately, the behavior continued, he had a full medical workup, only to find he had multiple brain lesions, which was causing his temperament/behavior changes. He was given his wings last week, RIP Ben.

I debated whether to tell this story, but reading about the bite to the young girl this week, I decided to tell you. I feel for what you are going through, I really do. I know this is probably a very long shot, and is really quite a rare and extreme case, but...

I wish you the very best of luck with Otis, my thoughts are with you... I am hoping that Otis's story wont follow Ben's.

• Houston

Saba,
    Thank you for sharing Ben's story with me. I have not thought of it being something like that, but you never know. Our dog, Lou, whom crossed the bridge last year april 25th, had brain cancer and started getting a bit unsteady in his behaviour, but he was 12 yrs old..he never showed any agression or nipping but knowing that it was possibly coming and that the tumor was pushing his right eye out of its socket we decided to help him along as well, very hard decision but we felt it was the right one to make for him more importantly but also for our children. We did not want them to experience anger or nipping from the dog they grew up with.

We have spoken to one person about him and she had a basenji that just passed away last summer with very similar behaviour issues. She is coming to our home on saturday this week.
    I know me finding him a different home might be totally wrong in many peoples eyes and nastiness might follow..but shame on anybody for judging anyone trying to do what is best for their family and beloved pet.

This is one of the hardest things I have ever had to do..I firmly believe that you do not give up on a family member or pet and he is very much my little angel. After a lot of praying and soul searching this is what is best for him.
    No dog should live in a home locked up in a crate off and on through out the day even though you are home with him.

I will talk to my vet today about the lesions and it being something potentially. I have a dachshund with allergies, sneezing all day long..so off to the vet we go.

• I think that re-homing him to a home without children or more then one other dog (female) that he would enjoy is the right move to make…. And someone that is dog/Basenji savy so that they can work on his behaviors. Anyone that would judge you for doing what is best for your family and your pet is certainly out of line.

• Houston

Pat,
    Thank you, that is exactly how we look at it.

Suggested Topics