• We all know you Petra as one who would never just give up. There's no question the love and care you have for Otis. You are thinking the best for Otis. If you kept Otis in an environment that was stressful to him that would not be in his best interest. Let us know on the vet visit.

• @tanza:

I think that re-homing him to a home without children or more then one other dog (female) that he would enjoy is the right move to make…. And someone that is dog/Basenji savy so that they can work on his behaviors. Anyone that would judge you for doing what is best for your family and your pet is certainly out of line.

I completely agree with Pat….sometimes the most difficult decision is the one that is best for the dog and the family, but it still breaks our hearts. We had to return our little brindle girl, Ariel, to her breeder before the twins were born, because she just couldn't get along with our other dogs; and we couldn't manage running three packs...I still get sad about it to this day, but she is gloriously happy back with Jeff...she runs with a few of his other dogs, and comfortably knows her place there..something she never seemed to find here.

I wish you and Otis the very best, however it works out, and we will be here to support you 🙂

• Houston

Thanks guys, I can't tell you how much it means to me to know that I can still stay onboard here if we go through with this..one day I hope I will have a basenji in my life that works well in our family, not only for us but more importantly for the basenji.
    again, Thanks from the bottom of my heart.

• @Basenjimamma:

Thanks guys, I can't tell you how much it means to me to know that I can still stay onboard here if we go through with this..one day I hope I will have a basenji in my life that works well in our family, not only for us but more importantly for the basenji.
    again, Thanks from the bottom of my heart.

We'd be upset if you left! 😞

• Petra, contact me off forum PLEASE.

• Houston

Sharron..I just sent you an email..

• Houston

By the way..Gus' vet visit went fine..allergies ..like we have to pollen and other springtime wonders..so he is on benadryl and feeling much better..no more sneezing..which is kind of funny looking and sounding coming from a dachshund…:);)

• @Basenjimamma:

By the way..Gus' vet visit went fine..allergies ..like we have to pollen and other springtime wonders..so he is on benadryl and feeling much better..no more sneezing..which is kind of funny looking and sounding coming from a dachshund…:);)

That's good news! There's a dachshund down the street that we run into on walks and he's 16 and doing really well. He' very friendly to a youngster like Buddy for an old guy, just stands there wagging his tail. The lady says he's a "pretty tough cookie". 😃

• Ms. B-mamma: You are doing the best you can for Otis. Don't let anyone tell you anything different. And I'm gald you are staying on here…it wouldn't be the same without you.

• Petra, I don't remember where I read this, but "In matters of the heart, often the right thing is the most difficult". Trust me, anyone with empathy would not judge you for trying to find the best solution for Otis.

Several years ago a member of our dog park group had a young basenji he (and wife) adored. They got another rescue German Shepherd, and had a baby. Suddenly the basenji was not the center of the world and some negative behaviors got much much worse. Separation anxiety, soiling, very stressful for everyone and he was looking at rescue. One of our group contacted a classmate who had a male basenji, and after a weekend trial they took this little girl and immediately all her issues were gone. Dog is in a home that fits her better. Did the first owners love her, heck yes, did they want the best for her , yes! Did that mean finding her a home that was abetter fit for her, and them, at that time in all their lives…yes. The story has very happy endings, basenji girl and new family are very happy together, old family is happy, and glad to know their basenji is well loved and safe.

Sometimes things don't work out in spite of much effort. If you can help Otis find a loving home, you will be doing a wonderful thing. Maybe he needs a quieter life, less stimulation, who knows, but you can't risk keeping a biting dog around kids who may trigger the behavior. We all understand that!

Hugs, fingers crossed that things work out for everyone!

Anne

• Houston

Anne, Belinda..

Thank you so much for your supporting words. This is one of teh hardest things we have done as petowners, but feel confident he is a great dog that deserves a second chance at living a great life.
    We met with his potential new mommy yesterday and the meeting went very well.
    He was of course a little reserved but warmed up after a little while. I will take him with me to our homevisit with her and then in a week or so he will, if all works out, move to his new home. She will take a weeks vacation from work so he will have time to get used to her and his new home before he is left alone during the days.
    She has had a basenji in the past that had very similar issues, so she nows how to deal with it and feels he will be a great dog in her home. more importantly, she has now children in her home and none that visits on regular basis.
    I will keep you posted as how it goes, but for now I am spending as much time with him as my life permits…and I am loving it. I will miss my little boy and he makes it very clear he will miss me too, he is very much "momma's boy"...

• <hugs>
    i'm so sorry he didn't work better in your home. sometimes it is so hard to do the right thing.</hugs>

• I'm sorry Petra that you have to make such a tough decision.. I hope Otis will have a wonderful life in his new home. I can't imagine how hard it must be to 'lose' your boy.. I already had a difficult time giving up a guest.. Big hug for you for doing the right thing for your boy.

• Petra,
    i hope everything works out well for Otis and yourselves. His new home and owner sound ideal. I'm sure in time you will feel so much better.

• Petra, you are doing the right thing. Hugs.

• This does sound like an ideal solution. He will be confused at first, but dogs are "forward looking" and he will be happy again soon.

• Dogs really do live in the now. I have been to classes that it takes 3 days for dogs in the shelter on average to quit looking for the old owner and get ready to pond with the new one.

• Petra, you are really showing that you love Otis by letting him go. Know in your heart that you are doing the best thing for everyone involved.

• And great if his prospective home knows the breed and understand what Otis needs… which is structure without distraction.... to redirect his attitude.

Hats off to you Petra for knowing what needs to be done and doing it...

• Houston

Thanks guys..I am feeling more confident, meaning a little less emotional, lots of tears still though..I love this little guy.
    I know he will do well, and I know his new mommy will love him.
    I thank BRAT for giving him and us a second chance to a loving home, I know he will be a wonderful friend, pet and life mate for many, many years to come.

Suggested Topics