• Tobias is always ridgie. When at play that is. I have seen him aggressive only toward humans, strangers, and only when he is safe inside the house, and the humans are outside. LOL I know he would run if he were outside with the stranger. Or at least I think he would, as he does not like confrontation, or srangers. Question, it seems that hackles up is happy time for Tobias, tail wagging, mouth open, barooing all the way. How do we really know if these guys are angry?

• I think the best word for ridginess is "arousal" some dogs get very aroused during play…some don't. Most dogs get aroused during an aggressive display. But before a real fight a dog is always aroused, guaranteed.

• As is with children - vying for mommy-daddy attention is pretty normal. Duke and Daisy do that. Duke used to have all the attention from everyone. Good morning kisses & rubs - everything for him. Now we have Daisy - and she needs her fair share of attention. When I choose Daisy first, I see poor Duke looking slighted watching and waiting for his turn - I kind of feel bad for him. They try to be the first by shoving themselves in front. I switch off who's first. I don't think this is a big problem - but does it matter who is chosen first to give attention?

• Some trainers/behaviorists will say yes….I am not so sure. I try to do tandem petting and greeting when dogs are sorting out their issues. If you have to choose one, I would definitely give Duke the attention first.

• The dog that was there first, IMO should be greeted first… and to keep it as a routine.... as with most animals, most things become habit....

• @tanza:

The dog that was there first, IMO should be greeted first… and to keep it as a routine.... as with most animals, most things become habit....

you mean the dog that lived there first, right? Or do you mean the dog that gets to you first?

• They both get there first, then the shoving begins. They can't be kissed and hugged at the same time, so I'll give Duke his first b/c he's the older and wiser. Makes sense - Thanks for your replies.

• @Duke:

They both get there first, then the shoving begins. They can't be kissed and hugged at the same time, so I'll give Duke his first b/c he's the older and wiser. Makes sense - Thanks for your replies.

This is what we do with Querk. And we often have as many as four hopping around at the same time :rolleyes:

But he is VERY vocal when the other dogs get in the way of his greeting. I am kind of envisioning that is what is going on with Duke.

Another example of status being fluid…all the dogs defer to his complaining during greeting...but all the girls can take things away from him, and guard him away from their sleepy space. And they all greet him in a subordinate way...so it is really, really hard to guess who is in charge of what....kinda like the federal government 😉

• Funnily enough, my 3 B's will crowd me with the Boxenji constantly getting in the way. I will always cuddle Shadow first, then Sugar, then Zina, and then Dimisi-in the order I got them. The old girl Calli waits on the chair for me to come and see her and get her cuddles and kisses-I guess she doesn't want to get into the fray at the door and she knows if she waits she gets more attention!

• @Quercus:

you mean the dog that lived there first, right? Or do you mean the dog that gets to you first?

Yes, the dog that lived there first

Suggested Topics