Skip to content

Just one of the kids

Behavioral Issues
  • It,s sooo true. Whatever the kids do, Kaycee has to get involved. If their playing basketball out the back, then she tries to catch the ball. And on that subject i was told that Basenjis don't fetch. What a load of rubbish. We didn't even have to teach her that one.
    If the kids are in the spa, so is she. She watches out for Tylah when she's on the swing set to make sure she doesn't fall. I would trust Kaycee with my kids lives anyday.:)

  • My B, Sahara, loves to play fetch and does so almost everyday. I taught her how to bring it back to me and how to release it once she had it. Silly dog wants to play tug of war with everything. She will even go to her toy box and pick out the toy I tell her to get and bring it to me to play. She is the smartest dog I have ever owned and I have quite a few.

Suggested Topics

  • Newborn/Kids with My Basenji

    Behavioral Issues
    4
    1 Votes
    4 Posts
    9k Views
    eeeefarmE
    It would be useful to know more about this dog. Has resource guarding been an issue in the past? Has he bitten either you or your wife before? (a real bite, not playful nipping). Or anyone else? A dog that isn't used to children may be fearful of their loudness or quick movements. Perhaps you could do some socialization work with him, e.g. hanging around places where young kids congregate to accustom him to their noise and activity. Obviously not allowing any interaction as you are unsure of his behaviour. Dogs react differently to newborns. In my experience bitches are more likely than dogs to be tolerant, but it is very much the individual dog's reaction that counts. People have been blindsided when their supposedly tolerant and gentle dog turns out to be hostile to a young child. Bottom line, no dog should be left unsupervised around young kids, so in any event you would have to monitor his behaviour carefully once your baby arrives. On a personal note, of the five Basenjis I have owned, two bitches were entirely reliable with kids, the other was tolerant as long as they respected her space. One of the males adored children and was curious about them, the other curious but uncertain and would react to fast movements. I did not trust him and controlled any interaction closely. IMO, he would have bitten had he felt threatened. And kids, especially babies, tend to grab and pinch, ears, tails, whatever. Caution is always the safest route.
  • 0 Votes
    32 Posts
    22k Views
    Buddys PalB
    Wow! this is one of many, many threads that I have responded to and I am very interested in the outcome of Poopydog and the nipping. As I was going through the Thread, I really had to bypass any of the responses of those who enjoy attacking one another. I sure hope this behavior did not thwart our member who really needed help. The majority are replies to one another trying to impart important knowledge or experience to someone who did not ask for it in the first place. Don't try to sound important. Everyone is, just give happy good-hearted advice and let us just not dig into the other who has a different opinion. Just dig, digs, and more digs. Really getting old….........................I know you won't miss me, but this is just too much.................................................................
  • Otis just nipped my son…

    Behavioral Issues
    135
    0 Votes
    135 Posts
    70k Views
    MacPackM
    You chose an alternative that was very hard for you, but gave Otis a wonderful chance at a new life is a situation better suited to his temperament. I do not call that failure, quite the opposite, you made for success for Otis. Sometimes love just isn't enough to overcome situational issues, but you found a perfect solution. Thank you for the update, I had been thinking about you but didn't want to ask.
  • 0 Votes
    28 Posts
    19k Views
    QuercusQ
    @JazzysMom: Dare I hope? Last night I put Keoki into his crate all by himself, with the new bedding – a fake fleece crate pad and the cat bed pillow -- and he went right in, went to sleep, and slept quietly until 6 AM!! He didn't even fuss when I got up, but waited with waggly tail until I opened the door! I'm afraid to get too excited, lest this be a cruel fluke, but wow~ it's exciting!! That would be great! Here's hoping!
  • My B bit my kid

    Behavioral Issues
    21
    0 Votes
    21 Posts
    20k Views
    BarklessdogB
    A cold Basenji is a cuddly one! [image: recline.jpg] Winter has it's advantages in cold parts of the world! I find Basenji's are like cats, sometimes they want tons of physical attention and other times. it's DON'T TOUCH ME!!!
  • Jazzy's kids

    Behavioral Issues
    2
    0 Votes
    2 Posts
    5k Views
    F
    Blossom is a rescue at 3.we have had her and a male rescue for 3yrs Blossom let our 7yr old grandson do whatever he wishes and puts a stop when she wants and he has been taught to honor this.