Skip to content

Just wondering - do dogs leave home to die?

Behavioral Issues
  • I'm thinking about this because of my friends dog that got hit by the car and returned home after several hours. I've talked to her since then and she said she thought that after he got hit, he probably wandered off to die somewhere, and then fell asleep for a while before waking up and limping home. Apparently he has a lot more bruises/scrapes than they originally thought and he has some tissue necrosis (death) which they are trying to take care of before resorting to surgery. I'm really hoping he pulls through this!

    Anyway, I have heard that cats will leave home and die away from their homes… wondering if dogs are known to do the same thing? What is the purpose of this behavior anyway?

  • I've wondered the same thing. Why do they go off away from the home to die? I know that an animal never wants to appear weak even when injured in a hurd - it's like a death sentence by the others - I think because they get rid of the weak to keep the hurds strong for survival.

  • I know our family dog growing up made several attempts to go off as the end grew near.
    It was very sad. But I think there is something to that survival of the fittest thing- that animals accept their fate easier (and dare I saw with more pride) than we as humans do. I don't think they see death as this "terrible ending"…

Suggested Topics

  • My dog bit me.

    Behavioral Issues
    7
    0 Votes
    7 Posts
    9k Views
    DebraDownSouthD
    :::Note: I’m not a professional trainer, I have a degree in psychology and im a teacher; a dog is like a 2-4 year old. Every dog is different though, maybe I’ve just gotten lucky, but what I’ve been doing has been working for me; maybe it will for you.::: LOL, not luck... good common sense. We do basic training to get solid responses in controlled environments, which gives a good base for expanding it to other situations. Like eeeefarm, I don't thing animal aggressive dogs need to socialize with strange dogs. I keep them separated. For the unexpected, working at home on basic commands (Leave It!, "look at me" to focus on you and understand the other dog is off limits, solid 100 percent down-stay) can help you avoid your dog getting revved enough to bite. That means you have to stay on top of things, change directions if necessary, and be firm and loud in asking others to not approach with their dog. Training is wonderful bonding, and it exercises their brains. http://www.clickerlessons.com/index.htm
  • Dog Training

    Behavioral Issues
    4
    0 Votes
    4 Posts
    5k Views
    eeeefarmE
    What type of training are you interested in? Is this a housebreaking issue, obedience problem, or some behaviour you want to discourage? Since you have posted in behavioural problems, I assume you are having some difficulties with something. If you are more specific it might be easier to point you in the right direction, i.e. to an obedience trainer or an animal behaviourist.
  • Problems with other dogs

    Behavioral Issues
    9
    0 Votes
    9 Posts
    5k Views
    DebraDownSouthD
    djaan, how about removing your spam link… then people might think your posts are serious.
  • Growling at the dog park

    Behavioral Issues
    22
    0 Votes
    22 Posts
    13k Views
    torchsongT
    The treat issues haven't been too horrible. Most of the time the people who bring them quickly learn the downside of it and don't do it again. :) She's been doing a lot better, and I've been determining when it's okay to discipline and when not. If she's doing a "give me space" where three or four dogs are sniffing her at once, I hold back, but occasionally she's gone after just one dog and I put her down for that. Next thing you know she's just playing with the dog, chasing or whatever. So it seems to be working. She's gotten a lot better at coming on command as well, even from across the park. It's tough to break that ADD that most 'Senji's have :), but of late she's gotten really good at breaking away from what she's doing if I call her. Who knows…we may make a dog out of this "cat-dog" yet! :)
  • Leave My Plants Alone!!!

    Behavioral Issues
    7
    0 Votes
    7 Posts
    4k Views
    soulmateS
    put large stones on the soil. this might help so they are not able to dig the plants out. I have the same with the cats. They dig in the plantspots and even peee in there which is almost deadly for every plant. Since we have the bigger rocks in there it is ok. NO one touches them anymore. Esther
  • Dog agression?

    Behavioral Issues
    12
    0 Votes
    12 Posts
    10k Views
    W
    my dog plop herself down when she sees another dog or person. I believe she does this in play.