He just hates his crate. Anyone else with this problem?

• I use the DAP diffuser & I think it's helped us out quite a bit. Topaz stopped peeing & pooping in her crate. I won't stop using it now for fear that she may go back to soiling her crate.

• I'm going to try using the spray for car trips as they both get very anxious on car rides.

• Hmmm, I just noticed that I have some amitriptyline left over from last year when our cat was exhibiting odd behavior {ie, peeing every BUT the litter box even though her health check was fine}. The stuff worked great and she almost immediately started using the litter box again.

I think I'm going to call my vet and ask about trying it on Keoki. {It doesn't expire until Sept. 07}. He just saw Keoki a couple of weeks ago, so I'm hoping he doesn't insist on seeing him again. . .

I wonder how safe I'd be in just giving it to him. I don't think it's a prescription item as it can be ordered on petmeds.com .

• LOL so I went to PetCo today and bought new bedding for Keoki's crate – one blanket-type pad and actually a very cushy cat bed that I figured would give him a cozy, cuddly feeling.

He can't get near the crate. Jazzy is curled up inside and growls like a Tasmanian Devil any time Keoki gets near the door. LOL

Great. Right effect, wrong dog.

• Would it be possible that the new puppy smells Jazzy in the crate and is afraid. After all Jazzy does not like her to get near the crate, maybe she is nerveous about it b/c of Jazzy's reaction when she gets near. Just wondering!!!!

• I would try using an X-pen, possible with a cover. And retrain him to the crate. A big PIA for sure. But he is defintiely crate phobic at this point. You have to take teeny tiny baby steps. Put some kind of treat in there that he loves outside the crate, like a stuffed bone or raw bone. Lock it in there, and let him see it…talk it up. Let him in and get chewing on it. Close the door. Hopefully he will be busy chewing on it; count to 10 and open the door. Call him out with a treat. Take the chew away. Do many short training sessions per day. Have another place to put him when he needs to be confined (xpen). Once he is comfortable with the count to ten, start extending the time. Once he is comfortable with a minute or two walk out of the room, come back let him out. You get the idea....baby steps....never let him out if he starts screaming, but try to let him out while he still wants to be in with the chewie.

Good luck...and sorry...I know how bad this situation feels 😞

• I've also had to use a bigger crate/cage to retrain dogs. It does work, but takes a bit of time.

• Dare I hope?

Last night I put Keoki into his crate all by himself, with the new bedding – a fake fleece crate pad and the cat bed pillow -- and he went right in, went to sleep, and slept quietly until 6 AM!! He didn't even fuss when I got up, but waited with waggly tail until I opened the door!

I'm afraid to get too excited, lest this be a cruel fluke, but wow~ it's exciting!!

• OOOOHHH I'm keeping our paws & fingers crossed for you & keoki πŸ™‚

• @JazzysMom:

Dare I hope?

Last night I put Keoki into his crate all by himself, with the new bedding – a fake fleece crate pad and the cat bed pillow -- and he went right in, went to sleep, and slept quietly until 6 AM!! He didn't even fuss when I got up, but waited with waggly tail until I opened the door!

I'm afraid to get too excited, lest this be a cruel fluke, but wow~ it's exciting!!

That would be great! Here's hoping!

Suggested Topics