• Is there a rule/what is the rule about bringing dogs not entered into a show?

One of the last shows I was at, I saw an exhibitor get kind of upset about a dog that wasn't entered being ringside (granted that dog was snarking at the entered dog). I think part of the problem was that the person with the dog wasn't really watching or correcting their dog.

I will say that at another show this summer I saw an AKC rep speak to a person with a lab that wasn't entered because the guy brought it for socialization but the dog was lunging at all the dogs waiting to go in the ring - she asked him to leave.

I see signs at shows saying "Exhibitor Animals Only Beyond this Point" or something like that. I know I've never been asked if Aaliyah is entered (she is if she is at the show), so I was just wondering about the rule and if there is one, why no one asks. Is it kind of just on the honour system unless someone complains?

Also, for the more experienced show folk, as exhibitors do you care if people bring non-entered dogs into the show?

• Usually, I think it's a rule that non-entered dogs not be brought to shows. This is because of all the ill-trained dogs and possible accidents that may occur.

That being said, I've brought Medjai a few times, and had nothing happen. Everyone just assumed that he was a show dog. He's well mannered and even uses the show lead.

I was at a show Friday (without Medjai). And a person with a dog that was entered was early and hanging around the ring. This caused a lot of problems because the bitch was well in heat and for the 3 other breeds before her, all the dogs just wanted to get at the bitch. She was definitely allowed to be there, but really shouldn't have been there so early with a bitch in heat.

• There is actually an AKC rule prohibiting unentered dogs being at the show site. It is rarely enforced, because unless someone points it out to the AKC rep, it is hard to know who is entered, and who isn't. I believe the reason is, that when you enter a dog, you used to have to sign a paper copy, and still have a paragraph on the online copy that says you verify with the entry that your dog is up to date on vaccines, healthy and free of parasites. of course, that is all legal crud, and someone could easily lie, or not know about health issues.

Personally, I don't really care if someone brings an unentered dog, as long as it is behaving properly. Lots of non-show people don't realize that we don't let our dogs socialize much prior to, and after a show…they are used to venues where dogs are encouraged to socialize on lead, so they let their dogs come right up to yours. It happens, no biggie. If we are going to a show where we spend the night, we always bring more than one dog, and will often let the companion dog walk around the show grounds after we are done showing...but not usually ringside...just too much going on...

• Houston

Well, I totally understand and agree with not letting non entered dogs be around the show ring, the distraction and excitement over a dog that isn't show ready and is there to be socialized, more then likely isn't very calm and settled down..

When we brought Moses to the show saturday, we left him in his crate while we walked around and looked, His brother, Fiz's mom had set up as if she was showing, just to get him used to the atmosphere, so we set up with her, our few chairs and the treats and stuff. She "dogsat" Moses for us, while we looked around and saw the Corgi's show..
    We missed the Basenji part of the show, but saw one, very dark red/white boy, Mack, sit and wait for his moma..in his excerpen.
    It worked good, Moses got the noise level and scent feel, yet he wasn't disturbing the peace around the show..

• Andrea is correct, there is an AKC rule about non entered dogs on the show grounds. That said, like Andrea, provided that the dog is well behaved and controlled by the owner doesn't bother me. However on the other side of the coin, people that bring unentered dogs that bark, pull, snap, growl, lunge at the other show dogs is an accident waiting to happen.

It is a good place to socialize puppies (again note that another requirement is that the dog is 6months or older) and you will see people that show bring around young puppies (even under 6months) but they are controlled and mostly behaved…ggg... so the AKC reps will usually turn a blind eye. However if they are not and the AKC rep is told, their only course of action is to ask the person(s) to remove the animal from the show grounds.

• Actually the rule says that only dogs eligible to be entered be on the show grounds though clubs can specifically state in their premiums that only dogs actually entered are allowed. There are legitimate reasons a person may bring a dog to a show that is not entered but the meets the criteria to be entered, like attending a health clinic at the show. There are also AKC rules about behavior so even if a dog is entered, if it is lunging or growling the owner can be asked to remove the dog from the show grounds.

• @etzbseder:

I was at a show Friday (without Medjai). And a person with a dog that was entered was early and hanging around the ring. This caused a lot of problems because the bitch was well in heat and for the 3 other breeds before her, all the dogs just wanted to get at the bitch. She was definitely allowed to be there, but really shouldn't have been there so early with a bitch in heat.

I completely disagree with this statement.
    Someone with a dog entered has EVERY right to be at the show as early as they want.
    Is it their fault the other dogs are not behaving properly?
    No.
    It would have been polite if the bitch wasn't at the ring entrance [if she was],
    but show dogs need to behave… regardless of the situation.
    That person may need to have several hours to 'settle' just like someone with a bitch that wasn't in season.

Sorry, but I dislike it when others saying that bitches in season should not be 'out in public' or near other dogs.

• @khanis:

I completely disagree with this statement.
    Someone with a dog entered has EVERY right to be at the show as early as they want.
    Is it their fault the other dogs are not behaving properly?
    No.
    It would have been polite if the bitch wasn't at the ring entrance [if she was],
    but show dogs need to behave… regardless of the situation.
    That person may need to have several hours to 'settle' just like someone with a bitch that wasn't in season.

Sorry, but I dislike it when others saying that bitches in season should not be 'out in public' or near other dogs.

I agree…male dogs should be, within reason, able to focus on the task at hand regardless if there is a bitch in heat or not. An owner should be able to control their dog's behavior...you can't control whether your bitch is in season...

• The bitch was right at the entrance to the ring, so every dog had to pass by a bitch in heat and could then only pay attention to her while trying to show. Although the owner has every right to have the dog there, it is not in good taste to have a bitch in heat ringside at the entrance that much early.

• @etzbseder:

The bitch was right at the entrance to the ring, so every dog had to pass by a bitch in heat and could then only pay attention to her while trying to show. Although the owner has every right to have the dog there, it is not in good taste to have a bitch in heat ringside at the entrance that much early.

Agreed. It isn't good form to be hovering at ring entrance with any dog, really…

• @tanza:

It is a good place to socialize puppies (again note that another requirement is that the dog is 6months or older) and you will see people that show bring around young puppies (even under 6months) but they are controlled and mostly behaved…ggg... so the AKC reps will usually turn a blind eye. However if they are not and the AKC rep is told, their only course of action is to ask the person(s) to remove the animal from the show grounds.

So does this mean that when I do get a B puppy, it would be advised not to bring him to a show? I know how show experiences can be for first time animals it's a totally different atmosphere. Is bringing him to a show and exposing that atmosphere to him before his first show not recommended?

• AKC rules state that all dogs must be at least 6 months old to on the show grounds.

I have found lure trials are a great place to socialize puppies because ASFA doesn't have a 6 month rule and even at AKC trials much of the "area" isn't defined as the "show grounds". The puppies get to see lots of dogs and commotion and though it isn't the same as a show, it still gets them used to hustle and bustle.

More recently, I have also been giving UKC shows a try because they often have not for point puppy classes for 4-6 month old puppies so it gives a great opportunity to get some ring practice and socialization. They tend to be smaller events, more like an AKC match, so not as overwhelming but they do 2 shows in a day so it does tend to be a long day though the ones I have been to have plenty of space to have an extra large crate or even an expen.

• @lvoss:

AKC rules state that all dogs must be at least 6 months old to on the show grounds.

Actually, they cannot be within the SHOW LIMITS.
    Some clubs state that it is just within the 20 feet surrounding the rings.
    You can have them on the grounds at your set-ups.
    AKC actually considers show grounds' to be all the parking area.. and if you are at the hotel, there also. This is meant to make sure people behave when traveling to/from dog shows.

It is recognized that we need to socialize our dogs if they aren't entered.
    You can also take them to shows without entering them before they are ever entered in a show. That is what I do with my dogs. I have one I am just starting at classes and will start taking him to shows more regularly, but don't intend to start him for quite some time, as others are in the wings ahead of him in line!

• @Quercus:

Agreed. It isn't good form to be hovering at ring entrance with any dog, really…

True. I've been at many shows when another breed is 'hogging' the entrance and the people with the breed that is 'up' cannot get through without shoving someone aside to get to the ring opening.

Suggested Topics