• My almost 3 year old Basenji has just been diagnosed with Falconi, luckily we caught the syndrome in the early stage. We give Kipper bicarbonate tablets twice a day. But Kipper also has a virus that is not connected to Falconi that he is on meds for, but he has become dehydrated and had to spend a night at the vets to rehydrate him. The problem is he isn't eating, I am giving him everything I can think of to tempt his appetite. Does anyone have any advice? Thanks, Anna

• I feed the muttloaf. I make about 1/2 of it the recipe at a time and add a soup spoon or so to the regular dogfood. Add a little warm water and stand back. Haven't seen a dog say no.

http://www.maryshouse.us/Recipes.htm

• @kipper:

My almost 3 year old Basenji has just been diagnosed with Falconi, luckily we caught the syndrome in the early stage. We give Kipper bicarbonate tablets twice a day. But Kipper also has a virus that is not connected to Falconi that he is on meds for, but he has become dehydrated and had to spend a night at the vets to rehydrate him. The problem is he isn't eating, I am giving him everything I can think of to tempt his appetite. Does anyone have any advice? Thanks, Anna

Sorry to hear about Kipper and Fanconi. It could be that the meds for the virus is causing him not to want to eat? What meds is he on for the Virus? And what besides the Bicarb are in his treatment plan for Fanconi. Are you sure that he is still not dehydrated? That for sure will cause them not to eat.. My Kristii is in early stages of renal failure due to old age (15) and I have her on SubQ fluids at home. I have been cooking for Kristii for the last 2 months, she gets steamed root veggies, shrimp or fish, ground meat, egg all sauted in a little butter on the stove… she loves it....

• @tanza:

Sorry to hear about Kipper and Fanconi. It could be that the meds for the virus is causing him not to want to eat? What meds is he on for the Virus? And what besides the Bicarb are in his treatment plan for Fanconi. Are you sure that he is still not dehydrated? That for sure will cause them not to eat.. My Kristii is in early stages of renal failure due to old age (15) and I have her on SubQ fluids at home. I have been cooking for Kristii for the last 2 months, she gets steamed root veggies, shrimp or fish, ground meat, egg all sauted in a little butter on the stove… she loves it....

Damn, Pat, I'd love that too! Can you make some of that for me? So much for the 'not eating food meant for dogs' thing! lol

Miranda

• Houston

I am so sorry to hear about Kipper, he is so young…hmm, I do now that Fanconi can come on early it is just so sad to hear.
    Do you think the other meds he is on is making him feel bad, tummy wise and that is why he is not wanting to eat?
    Either way, try to entice him with some, like Pat mentioned, people type foods, but made for him, in a dogsafe manner..with a little butter and all.
    I hope he feels better soon, keep us posted..

• @ComicDom1:

Damn, Pat, I'd love that too! Can you make some of that for me? So much for the 'not eating food meant for dogs' thing! lol

Miranda

LOL Miranda… that is what Ted says... she eats what I posted... we eat Mac & Cheese...:eek: But then again... I do it cause I can.. and for "one" it is OK....

All that said too... I highly recommend that people introduce their dogs to foods other then dog kibble, or wet food....

If you can (and you can) at an early age.. introduce things like root veggies, potatoes, ground meats (mostly boiled to remove the fat depending on the grade of meat), fruits... then when especially in the Golden Years, it is really much easier to be able to "cook" for them if necessary... again... all IMO

Of course if you are already feeding a "raw" diet.. you have these bases covered... but it doesn't hurt to add things in that you would not think about.... because later on when they are sick or elders... you would "kill" for anything they would/will eat

• Thank you to everyone for the great advice! Kipper is our second Basenji and the thought of loosing him at such a young age is horrific to us. Kip is currently taking metronidazole twice a day. I know the med does make him tired, but it's supposed to help get rid of his virus that in turn will bring back his appetite. I have tried all his favorites like cheese, sour cream and even homemade waffles. His diet is meat twice a day and free feeding of high quality kibble. The vet is very knowledgeable about Falconi and says all his levels are were they should be and the bicarb is all he needs. We will take Kip in again in 3 months for another blood test. Thanks again! Anna

• @kipper:

Thank you to everyone for the great advice! Kipper is our second Basenji and the thought of loosing him at such a young age is horrific to us. Kip is currently taking metronidazole twice a day. I know the med does make him tired, but it's supposed to help get rid of his virus that in turn will bring back his appetite. I have tried all his favorites like cheese, sour cream and even homemade waffles. His diet is meat twice a day and free feeding of high quality kibble. The vet is very knowledgeable about Falconi and says all his levels are were they should be and the bicarb is all he needs. We will take Kip in again in 3 months for another blood test. Thanks again! Anna

I don't want to doubt your Vet, But honestly, I find that hard to believe that he only needs Bicarb and not any of the Vitamins that are recommended in the protocol. If it were my dog, I would contact Dr. Gonto who developed the Protocol and run it by him and he is happy to talk to owners with Fanconi (it is Fanconi, not Falconi) about treatment along with conversations with your Vet. Also Thyroid testing is important for a dog with Fanconi. This would be the fill panel not just the one T4 level that are shown on regular blood work.

Dr Gonto's contact info can be found at the bottom of the Fanconi Protocol information
    http://www.basenji.org/ClubDocs/fanconiprotocol2003.pdf

Also you might want to consider joining the Fanconi Yahoo group for people with Fanconi affected dogs. They would also be able to give you good ideas since they are all dealing with dogs with Fanconi. It is a closed group for only people with affected dogs.

If he was eating before the metronidazole then hopefully when he is done with that he will begin eating again.

Suggested Topics