We have a 14 year old Basenji that has stopped eating. Blood and urine samples checked out by the vet have turned out normal, nothing stands out and they are at a loss. He stopped taking treats and we have tried wet food, chicken, pork, beef..anything we can throw at him with no luck. He is still drinking water, but not much. Has anyone faced this before?
Have you checked his mouth and teeth for anything that would cause pain while eating? Has anything significant occurred in your household that could upset him? Has his activity level changed? How long has this been going on? A vet should be able to figure out a physical reason. Maybe try another vet?
@eeeefarm - But usually will throw up.... if they do eat, wonder if any of that before he/she stopped eating...? Also, I had one with Liver tumor that quit eating.... tumor was benign on the liver, removed with surgery and was OK after...
Yes, usually. I had one that didn't. She had a piece of rawhide stuck where the stomach empties into the intestine, if memory serves. Fortunately we got it resolved without surgery. It was the last time I ever gave rawhide chews!
Yes my girl had pancreatitis she stopped eating and just laid down and stopped eating and drank very little. She would not eat liver cheese with anything. had blood work all ok x-rays all ok did a ultra sound and found cancer in her Pancreatitis had to put her down as she was suffering she was 12 and had a good life only sick 3 days.
@sakuhn62 I hope that is not the case with our Moe. Blood test seemed to indicate the pancreas was okay but I might need to ask for a second opinion on the ultrasound as the Vet did it (for free) while doing the tooth extraction but admitted he was not the expert in that area.
@ttobler - Not true, Fanconi is late onset, from age 5 to 10 typically or older, always good to rule out anything, but I know of Basenjis with Fanconi at your Basenjis age. Please have urine checked for sugar if has not been DNA for Fanconi.... or the sire/dam or sugar in the blood which would mean Diabetes. You can check out those results at www.ofa.org and you would need the registered name of the sire/dam or registration number for Fanconi testing and results, if from the sire/dam, either would need to be clear, clear or clear, carrier, could be carrier, affected and still be just a carrier, worth checking out. And seems to me like you might need a specialist. Have you talked to the breeder?
@tanza - Thank you for the correction, I was not aware it could impact them at a later age. That said, we were able to collect some urine and have it sent out for testing, the results came back clean. He is a rescue, we got him from the Austin Basenji rescue "BRAT".. and I also reached out to them. Lastly, I will likely schedule some time with an internal medicine specialist nothing seems to work. He will only eat a very tiny amount and then turn his nose.
@ttobler - your Vet is able to test urine on the spot for Fanconi. Just need to use test strips used to detect sugar in the urine? Of course doing the DNA test is the best. You order the cheek swabs at www.ofa.org. You do the cheek swab and send it back to OFA. They report the results. Here is a link about Fanconi and testing at BCOA. https://basenji.org/index.php/about-basenjis/basenji-health
DNA test is the best. You order the cheek swabs at www.ofa.org. You do the cheek swab and send it back to OFA. They report the results. Here is a link about Fanconi and testing at BCOA. https://basenji.org/index.php/about-basenjis/basenji-health
Come to think of it - its Christmas time - and what better present to give your Basenji - ALL of you on this forum with untested dogs - a Fanconi test ?
The peace of mind which comes from testing is well worth the price of $65.
Pat has given you the link - use it and get those pets tested !
What antibiotics is he on or was he given when his teeth were removed? I've had some stop eating when given certain antibiotics. Did they take dental x-rays? One of our fosters had an abscess show up on x-ray that was not visible even when the b was anesthetized for a dental. Has bloodwork been repeated after surgery?
@flbasenji hue was given an injection of Cefovecin since we are not able to give him anything oral. They did take x-rays and unfortunately he was not eating before getting the teeth removed. We thought that could be part of the problem. Blood work has not been repeated yet, but may come back into play. Dropped him off at an internal medicine specialist this morning.