Skip to content

Basenji eating, little, pooping little,and loosing weight

Basenji Health Issues & Questions
  • my boo is a red and white basenji i've noticed in the last 2 weeks he has been loosing weight and pooping very little as well as eating very little

  • i have tried seating near his food bowl and pretending i am eating it, puting the food down for 15 minutes only. It just seems he is drinking more than he is eating. also has 2 lighter patches on his coat. I am taking him to the vet after the holdiay. man this is a little stressful . nightt all

  • How old is he? How long have you had him?
    Any changes in his environment? Changes in diet or food supply?
    Does he have access to anything he shouldn't? Pesticides, etc…
    How is his behavior otherwise? Does he still play? Or is he lethargic?

  • Have you strip tested him for Fanconi?

  • I'm starting to think Sally needs testing. I potest the question, on how to test Sally. She squats LOW…... so I'm going to leave her in the kitchen and hold her off from peeing for awhile today, and get her excited to test her urine! hahahahaa..sorry but I can't think of anything else. hehehehe... I also think I'm going to check with the vet about testing her there as well. She won't eat very much, drinks a lot, and is shedding way too much, and I noticed her back legs shaking yesturday...not too bad but enought to notice. Good luck with your B..Keep us posted.

  • You can take her for a walk and test her while on the leash. And for now with what you are describing, I would get her to the Vet and not wait till you have test strips… It may be as simple as an UTI... but how long has she not been eating and drinking lots?

  • @massagemom3:

    I'm starting to think Sally needs testing. I potest the question, on how to test Sally. She squats LOW…... so I'm going to leave her in the kitchen and hold her off from peeing for awhile today, and get her excited to test her urine! hahahahaa..sorry but I can't think of anything else. hehehehe... I also think I'm going to check with the vet about testing her there as well. She won't eat very much, drinks a lot, and is shedding way too much, and I noticed her back legs shaking yesturday...not too bad but enought to notice. Good luck with your B..Keep us posted.

    Is Sally a mix? I seem to remember she might be? And how old is she? Again I would take her to the Vet, they can test immediately for sugar in the urine and/or blood… and also check her for UTI with a urine culture....

Suggested Topics

  • Poop Problem

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    14
    0 Votes
    14 Posts
    10k Views
    DebraDownSouthD
    Like Pat, I rotate foods, give them some of most things I eat (just a bite or 2).. so changing foods fast isn't an issue. Right now, yes do it slowly. Origen is good. And yeah to the pumpkin suggestion.. a few spoons can help help firm up the stools.
  • 0 Votes
    2 Posts
    3k Views
    DebraDownSouthD
    Alex, sometimes it's a matter of not digesting... could be age, worms or teeth issues (though teeth usually more an equine than canine problem as dog don't really chew much). If you know worms aren't a problem, and not other problems such as cancer or thyroid, then I'd work on the digestion side. Probiotics, plus easier to digest foods. As I posted before, I do use Fastrack. There are foods that are made to digest easier, but you can also simply smash and soak to help also.
  • Basenji pup not gaining weight

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    6
    0 Votes
    6 Posts
    8k Views
    TimesthemythT
    How is this pup doing currently? Any updates?
  • New Basenji/chi mix with loose hips

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    18
    0 Votes
    18 Posts
    8k Views
    svdreamerS
    He's a boy. :) And he's neutered as of three weeks ago. He's only about 10 months old.
  • Is it a Basenji???

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    13
    0 Votes
    13 Posts
    11k Views
    MandyM
    I have gotten the comment of min doberman. lol…. could have been her spiked Harley collar.
  • Sick Basenji

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    9
    0 Votes
    9 Posts
    7k Views
    B
    An update on Ben's condition. He had his teeth cleaned this morning and the vet had to remove several teeth. A large tooth in the back of the mouth had a cavity that went all the way to the root. He never lost his appetite during the whole ordeal or seemed to have any sensetivity of his mouth. I hope this is the end of the suffering he was going through. He was a rescue dog so we don't have the previous owners records as to dental care he had in the past. You can be sure he will be monitored from here on out for any sign of tooth decay or tarter build up. Thanks to everyone who replyed to my inquiry on Basenji health.