• Sometimes things happen that make sense after you think about it…

I had kept the purple leash of my old red dog, Congo, after he went up to puppy heaven. I thought I would use it on whoever came to live with us next.

Enter Hunter, BRAT rescue. The most precious little b I have yet to have the pleasure of living with. He didn't mind that his leash was recycled. After all, he has heard tales of how the red dog was the best b ever.

I take my pups to the Cedar River every weekend to run and jump and play. Rain or shine, you will see us there. We usually go to the same place. Bandit leads the way and Hunter shadows her every move. Unless she gets her piggy toes wet in the river. Hunter is not amused by that at all. But he is getting braver every weekend.

Last month we decided to go on a back trail. I was almost at the end when I realized that I had dropped the purple leash somewhere on the trail. I keep them around my neck so they are easy to grab if I need to leash up the bs quickly.

I backtracked and walked the trail again. My husband went the opposite way and backtracked it twice. No purple leash. Looked in the bushes, looked everywhere!!!!😕

Once back in the car, I realized what had happened. Congo didn't want me to use his purple leash on the tiny b. I apologized to him (out loud) and stopped on the way home and got Hunter a brand new, black, leash.

I still get a kick out of how Congo will always be a part of my life. Miss my old red dog....
    attachment_t_7460_0_congo-bandit-2005.jpg

• @vickilb:

Sometimes things happen that make sense after you think about it…

I had kept the purple leash of my old red dog, Congo, after he went up to puppy heaven. I thought I would use it on whoever came to live with us next.

Enter Hunter, BRAT rescue. The most precious little b I have yet to have the pleasure of living with. He didn't mind that his leash was recycled. After all, he has heard tales of how the red dog was the best b ever.

I take my pups to the Cedar River every weekend to run and jump and play. Rain or shine, you will see us there. We usually go to the same place. Bandit leads the way and Hunter shadows her every move. Unless she gets her piggy toes wet in the river. Hunter is not amused by that at all. But he is getting braver every weekend.

Last month we decided to go on a back trail. I was almost at the end when I realized that I had dropped the purple leash somewhere on the trail. I keep them around my neck so they are easy to grab if I need to leash up the bs quickly.

I backtracked and walked the trail again. My husband went the opposite way and backtracked it twice. No purple leash. Looked in the bushes, looked everywhere!!!!😕

Once back in the car, I realized what had happened. Congo didn't want me to use his purple leash on the tiny b. I apologized to him (out loud) and stopped on the way home and got Hunter a brand new, black, leash.

I still get a kick out of how Congo will always be a part of my life. Miss my old red dog....

Yep, they always will be part of your life. I use Ringo's (died 2007) red harness on Buddy. I don't think Ringo minds.

• As long as Congo in your heart he is always with you. I know what it's like to miss your dog after there gone sometimes there are days really good then soemthing happens and you go o I miss you old friend.

Nice you got the new leash kind like a new start in a way. Like that heater in background.

Rita Jean

• Houston

Sweet story, Vickilb.
    I buried both of our dogs that passed this last march and april with their respective collars, leashes and blankets…They both loved walks and I didn't have the heart to use it on someone else..their blankets went in their graves, because my children and I wanted them to be comfortable and not afraid of the unknown..
    The beauty of children..they see it so matter of fact..and why not...it is truly that simple.

• I put Maggii, OJ, and Mickii's collars in their urns with their ashes… And they are in my office at home were I spend much of my time.....

• All three of my Basenjis are buried in the back with their collars and tags.

• I have all the tags from the 4 dogs I've had, licenses and rabies tags, every year. Started when I was 10 and it was time to replace the license tag for the first stray that my family had adopted (whole other story there involving me getting locked out of the house in my PJs). I wanted to keep the old license, after that it became a thing whenever a tag was to be replaced Mom asked if I wanted to keep it and I did, have ever since. Yes I'm a bit of an "odd bird".:)

P.S. looking forward to adding Arleigh's first tag to the collection in January when I renew his license! And many more from him, I hope!!

• Houston

My first dog, Bogus (westie) when I was 7 years old in sweden, had these registration tags from the swedish kennel club, sort of like the rabies tags, had to be on their collars..well every year, instead of taking the old one off, we simply added the new one in front of it…so by the time he passed at fifteen, we had all 15 tags on his collar ring, it was so full that they didn't even jingle..my mother still has those in a safe spot among all my childhood things..they are very special to me..Bogus introduced me to the love for animals..

• @Basenjimamma:

My first dog, Bogus (westie) when I was 7 years old in sweden, had these registration tags from the swedish kennel club, sort of like the rabies tags, had to be on their collars..well every year, instead of taking the old one off, we simply added the new one in front of it…so by the time he passed at fifteen, we had all 15 tags on his collar ring, it was so full that they didn't even jingle..my mother still has those in a safe spot among all my childhood things..they are very special to me..Bogus introduced me to the love for animals..

Great story Petra!

• We are very fortunate to have a field where all our dogs are buried and each one is buried with his/her leash, collar, blankets, feed bowls and a loved toy. I intend to be buried there too beside them!!

However for some reason we still have quite a large collection of old leads but always get a new one for new dogs. I think we are just hoarders!!

• I placed in each urn their collar/leash sets. Buy ou are right Patty each new fur kid gets a not only one collar/leash set but ususally several through out their lives. My kids collar/leash selection has taken over one of our closets in the house 🙂

• If you find that you have excessive collars/leashes, you may want to call your local shelter and see if they would like to have them. So many shelters run on such a shoestring budget, it might be something they'd be able to use but not afford….

Just a thought

Suggested Topics