Coyotes kill adult singer in Canada

• If there weren't witnesses who saw the coyotes, I would have thought it a murder (a la Joy Adamson, if you remember that). Even if she were trying to get close, I can't imagine them not just runnning off, which is why I wondered about their health. Strange. Coyotes are increadibly adaptable animals.

• @agilebasenji:

If there weren't witnesses who saw the coyotes, I would have thought it a murder (a la Joy Adamson, if you remember that). Even if she were trying to get close, I can't imagine them not just runnning off, which is why I wondered about their health. Strange. Coyotes are increadibly adaptable animals.

What would they do if they had pups? Female bears are very dangerous when there's cubs.

• My mom lives in Irvine where there are lots of Coyotes who come down out of the canyons at night to hunt cotton tails which are abundant in all grassy areas there including the public parks and the grassy open spaces in apartment complexes. On two separate occassions when my mom was out walking at about 10am well past the time the coyotes normally return to cover of the canyons she was stalked by a bold coyote. Both areas were where the open space comes up to the the housing developments. The one morning it was a quiet Sunday and she resorted to walking on the median of the road hoping what little car traffic there was would scare it off. The second time she was lucky and the gardners were out at the park so she headed toward them and the noise of their leaf blowers seemed to finally spook it.

• Houston

how terrible?
    I would never hike alone however, I mean without a friend, two or four legged..not that it might have saved her, because we will never know..poor woman.

• Strange indeed. I often wonder what triggers the pack mentality/hunt-kill instinct when even domesticated canine attack humans.

There was a study quite a few years ago about certain captive species that had aggressive behaviors towards bonded (zoo) handlers when their handlers were menstruating. I'll look for the study, but I think it was documented with felidae, not canidae. Interesting though. Makes you wonder if not only signals and actions, but also smells may trigger an aggressive act.

• Years ago when I was young at home my grandfather got a 1/2 Shepard and 1/2 Coyote called her Shep. Shep only one lived the people were going to put her down about killed my grandfather he took her. That was one of the best dogs we ever had she was good. Grandfather was very careful with her never let her roam stayed in our back yard and it was fenced. Shep was in the house at night I find this hard that two coyote's could get this girl down and kill her. ????? Is there really more to this maybe.

Rita Jean

• The Coyotes are becoming very brave this year. At a Farm that I work on, the boss' wife was hanging out her laundry and a coyote came out in broad daylight between her and the house. Later that weekend a coyote caught a chicken while my husband was out feeding them. Scarrrrry!!!!!

• Coyotes are roaming in my area, too. Farmers put out poison hotdogs to kill Coyotes because they are taking calves. Dead calves have been found caught-up on top of barb-wire fencing when the Coyotes can't get them over the fence. The locals around here shoot coyotes and actually go hunting for them because they are such a nuisance.

Yes, I shoot them, too!

• I understand some joggers are warned not to go into the mountains when they are on their "monthly" because big cats can get them, but this is the first I have seen of this.

• Do you think an animal that has rabies would be that crazy? I've heard a rabid animal would do the unusual. Just a thought…

Suggested Topics