• Welcome to the forum 🙂

• The lady I got AJ from has snakes, lizards and turtles in the house along with her three remaining Basenji and one large black hairy dog of questionable heritage. I have not heard anyone in the family say the dogs did anything to the reptiles, but yes, better to be safe rather than sorry.

Welcome

• Welcome to the forum Knarf3 - there are plenty of british basenji folk on here too. If you are looking for a pup you should check out the websites of the 3 UK basenji clubs, and possibly attend one of the shows. The Northern Basenji society is holding its open show tomorrow in Cheshire - check out their website for details.

cheers

Scott

• Thanks everybody for all the welcomes and details.

We are in no rush as this is something we have just started to look into. And as much as we would love a puppy in two months time we would rather make sure that we not only meet the dogs requirements but also the breeders as i would hate for a breeder to turn us down for any reason.

I am going to try find somebody local who has basenji's and see if they will let us go round to see them and try gain some info on the dogs and take it from there.
    But i cant see us getting a little one this season but you never know….

Many thanks

Frank

• A welcome to the Basenji forum - its always good to have more UK members.

I am the person who has been the longest involved in the breed in the UK (over 60 years) who Nobarkus mentions. As Thunderbird says Sally Wallis has indeed been involved for quite a while although there are others who have had them longer - Sally is invaluable for her Basenji database if you are interested in pedigrees and she also has good knowledge of available Basenjis.

If you live anywhere near Shropshire you are very welcome to visit my Basenjis at any time and spend time with them. Their ages range from 6 to 15). I can give you plenty of advice as so many of us can and if you wish I can send you my introductory blurb which I give to prospective owners.

There is a basenji show in Cheshire tomorrow (18th) but perhaps that is too short notice? However if you can make it you'll be made very welcome and there should be quite a few Basenjis there. However I always advise prospective buyers to see them in their homes as that is the ideal way to assess how well you would get on with living with one.

I haven't had experience of basenjis living with reptiles but it is quite possible I would think that they would get on ok. We have a lot of toads here and my Basenjis are always intrigued but never attack nor even mouth them.

If you let me know what area you live in I can also put you in touch with
    owners who are always willing for you to visit.

• Frank,
    you are right not to rush. Good idea to do plenty of research and this forum is certainly a good place to do it. Where abouts in the UK are you, there may be someone on the forum quite near, you never know.

• We are down in Portsmouth and cant drive up to the show tomorrow. I have spoken to a very nice lady who as said we could go round in a month or so to see her dogs and then again in December to play with the expected puppy's but we are really keen so if anybody else would not mind us popping round for a cuddle please get in touch.

Cheers…

• **Greetings, your snake and geckos, hummm, I wouldn't trust my B's with them. They chase the frogs and lizards in the back yard and are good mousers too, they are hunters. If the geckos are well protected, maybe.
    We had a pet rabbit in the bunny condo in back and when we got our first B it was constant reminders to stay away, she wanted to tear him up. Eventually she got the message, but it is very hard to "break" their natural instinct. Good luck on your search, if you can get a puppy, and read, stick with the fourm and you will learn, be amazed, and LOL.

Be well,
    Baroos, and wiggles….**

• Hi Frank

Welcome to the forum, I am the lady you spoke to this morning, you are welcome to come and see the dogs, I didn't mean you had to wait until December! (Just that the pups if there are any) wouldn't be up and running until then. I work most weekends but will be off in two weeks, perhaps we could arrange something then.

You are very sensible to take your time, look at Sally's Zande site especially the put off page, if you are still keen to come and meet them contact me. My expectant mum is actually Zande Feleji.

• @moetmum:

Hi Frank

Welcome to the forum, I am the lady you spoke to this morning, you are welcome to come and see the dogs, I didn't mean you had to wait until December! (Just that the pups if there are any) wouldn't be up and running until then. I work most weekends but will be off in two weeks, perhaps we could arrange something then.

You are very sensible to take your time, look at Sally's Zande site especially the put off page, if you are still keen to come and meet them contact me. My expectant mum is actually Zande Feleji.

Hello again

It was great to talk to you this morning and i dont mean to rush you at all we are all busy and as you will be taking the time to help us there is no rush at all.
    It was just when i told my partner that we should try get to see some she was like a dog with a bone 😃 and really wanted to see some ASAP as she is as excited as i am. When the dust has settled we can get together as i am all to aware what goes into renovations around the house.

We dont mind seeing many basenjis the more the better.. 🙂

Many thanks again for the conversation this morning. I will send you an email so you have my email address and we can arrange a time that sits yourselves and us.

Cheers

Frank

Suggested Topics