Could you give me your ideas on my dog

• @Quercus:

IMO, her shelf is nice…but she could use a little extra second thigh (I think that is term); it looks like the steep angulation in her lower leg doesn't compliment the nice angle of her pelvis.

I see what you mean about her stop...but from the side it looks nice. Luna's head was like that too...obvious stop from the side, but from the front, or oblique angle, it looked strangely smooth...I like the name banana head 😉 Her head looks a little domed, rather than flat on top...maybe that is giving the impression of no stop?

This was regarding Arlene's pics.

As far as Jazz…I think she is a decent bitch, and you should give it a shot to show her. As you know, it is hard to judge from pics alone...movement is so important. Depending on where you are, it might be difficult to finish her.

She also is very young, yes? So she will most likely grow into her ears. She has some faults, but nothing glaringly terrible, IMO. Also, IMO..she has more white than I would like to see on a show dog, and as Arlene mentioned, where her white is, might hurt her more than how much there is, because it exaggerates her short upper arm. But I would definitely give it a shot, if you are interested in showing. There are scads of nice and supportive people in your area, so give it a try 🙂

• @Quercus:

IMO, her shelf is nice…but she could use a little extra second thigh (I think that is term); it looks like the steep angulation in her lower leg doesn't compliment the nice angle of her pelvis.

I see what you mean about her stop...but from the side it looks nice. Luna's head was like that too...obvious stop from the side, but from the front, or oblique angle, it looked strangely smooth...I like the name banana head 😉 Her head looks a little domed, rather than flat on top...maybe that is giving the impression of no stop?

I don't know Andrea, if you take her apart, her body is rather nice-in pieces. Her body does not match her legs. But take them away from each other and they are okay. Second thigh? Please explain, as I have never heard this before. Take note Dukati457-we are both learning something new here!

Yes, I hate the head. It is domed, which definitely hurts her-It's a Mankia head, which I don't like. It should be flatter. As someone else stated, if you can get one of Robert Cole's books, it goes through each section of dog.

Yup, Banana head!

• Also, please remember, that whatever anybody says about your/their dog - There Is No Such Thing As A Perfect Dog!!!!!

Give showing a go. It can be lots of fun, especially making new friends etc. But be warned, showing is addictive and expensive, it gets under your skin! 😃
    Have fun with her. 🙂

• That's why I said to go ahead and give it a go too! Dukati457 will learn soooo much! And will soon be wanting another evil little devil-er, ahh, I mean, umm Basenji!

• @nomrbddgs:

I don't know Andrea, if you take her apart, her body is rather nice-in pieces. Her body does not match her legs. But take them away from each other and they are okay. Second thigh? Please explain, as I have never heard this before. Take note Dukati457-we are both learning something new here!

Yes, I hate the head. It is domed, which definitely hurts her-It's a Mankia head, which I don't like. It should be flatter. As someone else stated, if you can get one of Robert Cole's books, it goes through each section of dog.

Yup, Banana head!

I had to search a little for a good pic of second thigh, also called lower thigh, and also bend of stifle:

http://www.blog.cousinsweb.co.uk/2007/05/06/dog-anatomy/

Does Robert Cole call it banana head? I have his book, and studied it in detail, but it has been years since I looked at it 😉 IMO, it definitely is one of the best references around.

• @Benkura:

Also, please remember, that whatever anybody says about your/their dog - There Is No Such Thing As A Perfect Dog!!!!!

Give showing a go. It can be lots of fun, especially making new friends etc. But be warned, showing is addictive and expensive, it gets under your skin! 😃
    Have fun with her. 🙂

Also, remember that so much of it is opinion. If we all agreed on what the standard meant, all Basenjis would look exactly alike, and probably be terribly inbred…so room for variation is a good thing!

• This is a very interesting thread!

• <>
    No, Robert Cole does NOT call it a banana head. I do keep it for reference very handy. I love looking at it. While I don't know if he was the best judge around. He does no know how to pick a dog apart. (I personally like the 'banana head' thing too. I think it's a very apt description)
    I'll try to get a pic to you of her from behind. She has very pronounced muscling in the rear leg. I'll move the pics to a new thread under Damisi's butt pics. I think we've taken this from poor Dukati457!
    I still think you should go for it.

• Houston

Very cool thread, thanks all for posting pics and definitions, very interesting indeed.

• Good luck! Dukati…thanks for the thread. I agree that is it is very helpful to get input on your pup and know what you're working with. I try to get brutally honest opinions if I can but it's hard to get sometimes with people you know personally. I've been thinking about doing one like this with Zoni but I haven't been happy with any of the pictures I've taken yet. Just a slight difference in angle is enough to make them look off...particularly fronts. Good pictures are hard to take.

For those who don't have Bob Cole's book, here is a link to an online version...albeit a very, very brief version (doesn't compare to the book), with a passing mention of the second thigh. For newbies to showing, I also highly recommend it...I've been studying it alot.

http://www.basenjiclubofcanada.com/BCOC-BobCole.html

Suggested Topics