• @tanza:

Did I say anything about 6 month old puppies? You said "we all know these aren't sit on the chair and watch TV dogs", I said mine do?… Did I say puppies and that was all they do? I don't think so... you are comparing your one puppy, one experience with a Basenji which is fine and it might work for your pup... long term, who knows. Chances IMO using things like shock collars will come back to "bite" you in the end.

And I still believe it is the easy way out... and if the day comes that one of these dogs that are wearing a shock collar has enough and bites back... who will suffer? The dog... who brought it on the dog... the human

Have you just read horror stories about shock collars or have you actually USED ONE? I've spent over $1500 on trainers and classes alone. I have done so much to try and train him and spent so much time and worked my butt off!! For me this is in no way shape or form an "easy way out" I'm glad that the only experiences you have had allow you to see this way as the "easy way out"

and just because the collar is called a "shock collar" doesnt mean thats all it does. Like i said before right now i rarely use the shock option and if i do its the lowest setting. What i think is cruel are bark collars because there is no control over them and they just shock the dog over and over

• @shep_18:

I have decided that I want to do some shock collar training with my dog. Can anyone tell me what the best collar under $100 is? I want the kind for inside the house with a remote and i can't decide which one is the best one. He is a basenji mix so he is about 40lbs.

(if you don't like shock collars please do not comment.)

Honestly, it's not always necessary for everyone to voice their every opinion.
    As I tell my children, every thought that pops into your head does not need to fall out your mouth {or keyboard}.

Obviously, Shep KNOWS that many people do not like to use shock collars, and politely requested that those folks NOT reply. And yet, somehow, this still disintegrated into an argument about shock collars.😕

Everyone has had their own life experiences, everyone has done their own research. Why is it so impossible to believe that there may be a small off-chance your opinion, experience, research is not the ONLY correct opinion, experience, or research. It really is quite maddening.

• @JazzysMom:

Honestly, it's not always necessary for everyone to voice their every opinion.
    As I tell my children, every thought that pops into your head does not need to fall out your mouth {or keyboard}.

Obviously, Shep KNOWS that many people do not like to use shock collars, and politely requested that those folks NOT reply. And yet, somehow, this still disintegrated into an argument about shock collars.😕

Everyone has had their own life experiences, everyone has done their own research. Why is it so impossible to believe that there may be a small off-chance your opinion, experience, research is not the ONLY correct opinion, experience, or research. It really is quite maddening.

Oh, believe me…I haven't typed every thought that pop into my head. But honestly, on a public chat board, you have to expect that if you post something controversial, people are going to respond. Especially if you 'know' the people on the board at all. EVEN if you include a very polite request to not react. The original poster would have been better served to find a forum on e-collar training, or hunting dog training, or some such...then he/she wouldn't have needed to face controversy.

• @shep_18:

Have you just read horror stories about shock collars or have you actually USED ONE? I've spent over $1500 on trainers and classes alone. I have done so much to try and train him and spent so much time and worked my butt off!! For me this is in no way shape or form an "easy way out" I'm glad that the only experiences you have had allow you to see this way as the "easy way out"

and just because the collar is called a "shock collar" doesnt mean thats all it does. Like i said before right now i rarely use the shock option and if i do its the lowest setting. What i think is cruel are bark collars because there is no control over them and they just shock the dog over and over

I won't address the points of your argument, since obviously there are people that are wishing this thread would die….but I am wondering, if you spent all that money on trainers...couldn't you have asked them which shock collar was best?

• Quercus I was just wondering if you made your living training dogs would you answer the question you just ask what collar is best. Does this not take your life line away.

JazzysMom Thank you I like your wording.

For me to each there own. HAPPY 4TH OF JULY TO ALL…..........

Rita Jean

• @Quercus:

Oh, believe me…I haven't typed every thought that pop into my head. But honestly, on a public chat board, you have to expect that if you post something controversial, people are going to respond. Especially if you 'know' the people on the board at all. EVEN if you include a very polite request to not react. The original poster would have been better served to find a forum on e-collar training, or hunting dog training, or some such...then he/she wouldn't have needed to face controversy.

OR maybe we would ALL be better served by simply respecting one another's opinions and respecting one another's requests.
    Once someone reads, "If you do not espouse this particular approach", then those who do not espouse it could simply move away from that thread and let those who are interested or in agreement and who may have experience or knowledge share. It's easy –just a click of the mouse.

• Everyone did respect Shep's request until someone else asked for opinions on shock collars. At that point, the thread really couldn't stay a one sided discussion. Even then what was posted was information supported by veterinary behavorists about the effectiveness of this training and probably would have just been left at that but as in any discussion thread those simple statements fired up a debate.

• I do not think it is fair for anyone to expect that they should be able to post a one sided thread and not have people speak up that there are other considerations that should be made.

• Thylacine ask about sitmeanssit and if it really worked. Since it seems that no one else on here has ever used them the question was answered and then if you look Quercus came back with comments. A simple question that was answered with a simple answer could have been said and done.

Rita Jean

• @lvoss:

I do not think it is fair for anyone to expect that they should be able to post a one sided thread and not have people speak up that there are other considerations that should be made.

I disagree. Shep said the decision had been made, and requested info as to the best collar.

Had Shep said, "I am considering the use of, and would appreciate opinions and experiences with….." that would have been an opening for a discussion as to the pros and cons of the collars.
    This was not the case - a specific question was asked, and should have been answered as such.
    IMO, of course.

• Jazzy'sMom…I appreciate what you're trying to say...but since when have we EVER kept things completely on topic and only answered the question asked. :D:D:D It's a public forum, that's what happens. Maddening, yes...at times.

Personally I think there was a huge value in Lisa posting the information about veterinary opinions on the subject. That way the person who made the decision is armed with the facts. Very important info, IMHO, especially if they had not read it before.

And the other thing of value is that anyone else reading the thread considering using a shock collar would also have more information.

• I posted the question about the collar because I HAVE tried every thing else. I have a 7 month old Basenji who is a wonderful dog but who play nips very hard. I am looking to control that issue. I am not trying to break his spirit or turn him into a zombie.

I have posted about this issue several times on this forum, and received snide remarks and non answers. This is a last ditch effort to stop my dog from biting people. We have bought dozens of books and tried every method recommended on this forum to no avail.

So know we are down to the collar. That is all that is left. If you are against collars don't use them. I am looking for information on how to use the collar to safely and effectively stop my dog from biting. If you have that information please share it. If not I will cheerfully ignore you. It is none of your business…..

• Can you tell me what kind of collar that you got? You shall not get snide remarks from me. I would much rather you do this collar than give up your dog.

There is a correct way to use a collar. I am not sure how we go about asking how I can get your email or give you mine. I think it would be better to talk about this that away.

Do you know who we have to ask?

Rita Jean

• Houston

Rita Jean I found this regarding where to go for personal contact info..

So to protect ourselves and our members we decided that we will not allow posting personal contact information on the forum, We will not make exceptions, unless it's an emergency, and we will need to be privately contacted first at admin@basenjiforums.com

• @Rita:

Quercus I was just wondering if you made your living training dogs would you answer the question you just ask what collar is best. Does this not take your life line away.

JazzysMom Thank you I like your wording.

For me to each there own. HAPPY 4TH OF JULY TO ALL…..........

Rita Jean

I don't understand. Is this a question? I do train dogs as a career, though very part time. I wouldn't answer a question about which collar is best, because I don't know. I don't use them in my training, or in teaching others how to train. I may direct them to a trainer who uses them, if I feel that they have a valid need for an e-collar. How would it take my life line away? There is no shortage of people who would prefer to use positive training methods, rather than punishment methods.

• If you do not know which collar is "best" how do you know they are "all" bad? I take that as name calling when you say punishment. I do not punish my puppy that is just real wrong and sick of you. You know nothing about me or what I do and have to right.

Rita Jean

• Basenjimamma, Thank you I think we must have found it about same time but thank you. Question how do you know who Otis parents are?

Rita Jean

• Rita Jean, Can you give me a basic break down on how the sitmeanssit collar works? I want to control biting and running away.

I am not that interested in using it for any kind of performance training. I am adverse to negative reinforcement and corporal punishment as well. Pharaoh is much like most aggressive Basenjis i have read about. He is very dominant.

He has three modes of biting
    1. The play mode which is no real problem, but it does hurt sometimes.

2. The attention getter. If someone ignores him they will receive a painful ankle nip. He can get quit excited about this.

3. The running slash. When playing ball or chase he will take a running slashing bite on my thigh. This is the most dangerous.

He will often bite my 7 year old daughter when they are playing. My daughters reaction is to cry softly. She never remembers to scream sharply and move away from him.

• Thylacine, was your puppy a singleton?

• If by a one puppy in litter no Ithink there wer 7. We made the mistake of getting him at 7 weeks

Suggested Topics