• Thank you and it was so we can go to dog park and Jaycee can run and have fun without worry. Dog Parks do not have a fence around them. Jaycee done great and there are many days she never sees it or wears it she has learned the words and what to do. Like place or wait what ever great. Jaycee is really lots of fun and we never do anything to ever hurt or break her spirit.

Rita Jean

• And yet at a dog park if you deliver a shock with another dog around you could trigger a fight because of redirected aggression.

Dogs don't need to run free nearly as much as people think. They do need physical exercise but they can get that with daily walks and those walks are a wonderful opportunity to also satisfy their need for companionship and mental stimulation. Too many people go to dog parks to "let their dog run" but really are also doing it because they don't have to interact as much with the dog as it is running loose.

• Houston

I have yet to visit a dog park with Otis, but looked at a few in our area, and they are all fenced in, even the really large 20 acre ones. Who knows, once we go, I might not want to let him go, but it is nice to know that I could, if I really wanted to.
    I have a big question to ask, actually my husband does…How do they do it in Africa? How do they make sure their B's don't run away there? We got into a heated conversation about it and I had no great answers for it..so he won..LOL. Does anybody know?

• O Jaycee gets more walking and companionship then you'll evey know. Jaycee has somebody with her all time one of us is at home. The other day was the first time she got left alone for about one hour.
    Walking 1st me, 2nd my son, 3rd my daughter, 4th my husband, and 5th my daughter's boyfriend. There are 5 walks plus everyday and yard time.
    We do not do dog park on weekend were there are lots and lots of dogs. Jaycee has no aggression and that is how I take what you have said. Jaycee is no fighter she has Bolts, Spice, Sterling around her at home and she is great.

Rita Jean

• @Basenjimamma:

I have a big question to ask, actually my husband does…How do they do it in Africa? How do they make sure their B's don't run away there? We got into a heated conversation about it and I had no great answers for it..so he won..LOL. Does anybody know?

The relationship. There is a reason for them to come back. They get food, shelter, companionship, and a safe place to raise their pups.

• Redirected aggression can happen in a dog that has no aggressive tendencies under normal conditions. Redirected aggression is often seen in situations like when a dog gets itself caught in/on something and the owner goes to free it and gets bit because they dog is scared and in pain. This same thing is seen in dogs with shock collars. They get shocked, don't understand why, and redirect their confusion, frustration, fear onto whatever is closest. This is not about aggression in the sense that the dog goes around looking for a fight.

• Put yourself in the place of your dog…. you are out playing... you have no idea there are boundries... you get to close to what the human thinks is a boundry limit... you get shocked?... you have no idea why this happened... for all you know it was the dog/person/critter next to you that caused the pain you received... what do you do? You go after the closest thing to you.. "redirect agression"

• This why we learned at home what this way means she knows to far come back some. Since learning in our yard we have yet had to do anything at dog park all we say is this way and Jaycee comes back.

Rita Jean

• Houston

The relationship. There is a reason for them to come back. They get food, shelter, companionship, and a safe place to raise their pups.

That is exactly what I said to my hubby but he didn't buy that, now I can tell him that you said it too. I guess the reason they don't get run away to follow their nose si because the follow their nose daily "while at work" and they have no cars to be worried about either, I guess.

• I am sure that they disappear for spans of time but they return because the relationship is mutually beneficial. It is also probably far safer to stay near humans without wandering too far because of the predators in the area.

• And Dogs are pack/herd animals… the humans and the other dogs in the village are their pack..

• Now that I read some of the posts here, I might concede there are extreme circumstances where a shock collar may work. However…..

....taking them off leash or in an unsecured play area for my pleasure, then using this type of collar to "train", makes no sense to me.

I'd rather keep my 2 at home, walking, playing, and chasing with free will and compassionate/positive tactics for positive, and even negative behaviors.

To each his own, but let no harm come to those that have been entrusted to us. They are as emotionally sensitive--even more so in some circumstances--than we are.

• Hmmm.
    Read most of the posts and still don't know what to do. I have been contemplating getting a shock collar as well, or at least one of the noise making ones.
    My only problem with my dog is the running off leash. Granted, she's on leash all the time when outside now, but these dogs are smart. She knows she can turn around, pull hard enough and get the collar over her head, she also knows she can bite through a leash if given the time. Accidents happen, people come over and open the door and the dog gets out. Doesn't happen often, but when it does she's off to explore at full speed. Now, when my dog is running into the highway into traffic and won't stop, it would be nice to reinforce my "NO!!!!" with something. Treats don't help when the dog is 50 yards away about to get run over by a humvee.
    Other than this, she's a great dog. Doesn't care one bit whether it's raining or not, she'll run around in the rain for hours. Doesn't chew anything she isn't supposed to. I lost one audio cable in my truck at about 6 months, and that was it, a good stern "NO, not yours" and she's never touched an electrical cord again. (I'm a computer tech, I've got electronics everywhere in my house) I don't even crate her when I leave the house most of the time because she only chews her bones and toys. But if she gets off the leash she isn't coming back if there are people or other animals around to meet, not without a fight. Now, I don't want to hurt or traumatize the dog, but I want to scrape her smashed corpse off the road even less. So if anyone has been able to deal with this kind of a issue I'd love some advice.

• Sorry, but I don't agree with any type of shock collar.
    It sounds like you need to go back to basics and do a positive obedience class.
    Pair that with a lot of you walking your dog…just having the dog run the yard isn't enough exercise.
    I think you will be surprised if you do the above.
    It does work.

• The shock collar I use is a sports dog. It has given our basenji nearly unlimited freedom on his long romps. He might get shocked twice a week.

It changed his whole life.

When I took my dog to the vet, the entire staff were congratulating me on making a common sense decision. The vet said" That will be one less basenji in the shelter.
    Being a dedicated liberal it is painful to see such obtuse political correctness as is often exhibited on this forum.

Be aware if you admit to using a shock collar the PC's will hound you to death.

• Oh, please…the PC stuff has nothing to do with it.
    I think there are more positive methods that will work, helping your dog learn to "listen" to you, and you to read your dog, but its not quick or done with a press of a button.
    Can you say "clicker" training??
    Sorry, we will have to agree to disagree and believe it or not, I am a liberal as well.

• How do we delete our posts?

• Why is it when ever someone asks for advice about a particular subject, be it training, feeding, dog parks, whatever and specifically requests that those who do not agree with
    the the plan/method/philosophy/ideals to NOT comment , those people simply cannot respect that and refrain from commenting?

Just curious. Everyone understands that everyone has an opinion. What people need to understand is that not everyone has to hear yours every time.

• @sharronhurlbut:

Oh, please…the PC stuff has nothing to do with it.
    I think there are more positive methods that will work, helping your dog learn to "listen" to you, and you to read your dog, but its not quick or done with a press of a button.
    Can you say "clicker" training??
    Sorry, we will have to agree to disagree and believe it or not, I am a liberal as well.

Clicker? The kind that has a button you push?

• @Thylacine:

The shock collar I use is a sports dog. It has given our basenji nearly unlimited freedom on his long romps. He might get shocked twice a week.

It changed his whole life.

When I took my dog to the vet, the entire staff were congratulating me on making a common sense decision. The vet said" That will be one less basenji in the shelter.
    Being a dedicated liberal it is painful to see such obtuse political correctness as is often exhibited on this forum.

Be aware if you admit to using a shock collar the PC's will hound you to death.

HA! I voted for Bush twice, I know all about it. Seriously though, I appreciate hearing from someone that has used it effectively and humanely. And while I agree with the theory that walking a dog helps in training, I cannot believe that any human is going to be able to give a basenji, of all dogs, enough exercise through walking unless they can do 20 miles a day. My dog out runs golden retrievers and still wants more, no way I can compete with that just going for a walk. If I can only get my giant hamster wheel hooked up to my generator…

Suggested Topics