• I am thinking about purchasing a basenji in the near future, whether it be from a local breeder or online. If i happen to take the online route, how can I make sure the basenji I am getting is healthy and that the breeder is legit. What kind of information should I ask of them and what should I look for? Red flags?

Thanks.

• What do you mean by online?

If you mean a website where you buy a puppy that is ready to take home today sort of thing then that in and of itself is a red flag. Responsible breeders have websites with information on their dogs and their breeding plans. When you contact them they will have questions for you about your expectations and lifestyle. They will be able to provide you with health testing information and you should be able to verify it at the OFA website, http://www.offa.org

• Websites such as puppy find are just about the worst possible way to get a dog. Most of the folks who are posting on there are puppy mills or back yard breeders who do not properly health test, research pedigrees or anything. Tests that should be done on BOTH parents are Hips, Eyes, Fanconi and more.

Please, please do NOT choose a pup this way. I would hate to see you wind up with a dog with serious health issues like fanconi or thyroid disease.

Some reputable breeders can be found listed on the BCOA website, although even there you might find some less than perfect breeders. It pays to do your own homework, check up on the breeder you are interested in and see if they do all the health testing. Don't just take their word for it or believe them when they say "I've been doing this for a long time, and none of my dogs has ever had any trouble with that." Anyone who says this is just covering up for the fact that they cannot be bothered to test. Testing is the only way to be sure!! You can see if a dog has been tested at the OFA website, but looking up their name or registration number. That website is www.offa.org

Have you considered adopting a homeless Basenji thru BRAT?

• Here are two really good resources.

1. The BCOA Breeder Directory
    http://www.basenji.org/PUBLIC/BreederDirectory.htm

2. Is A Basenji Right For Me?
    http://www.basenji.org/learn/Index.htm

• ok thanks for the information.

I was planning on going local breeder as well and I guess I will be doing that.

• 90% of the sellers on those types of sites could not care less about who buys their pups as long as they show up/send the money… then they are happy to stuff the pup in a crated, throw it on a plane and send the poor thing on its merry way... They do not health test as that cuts into their profit...

• If you contact a reputable breeder (see Lvoss's links) then s/he will be able to help you in terms of proper diet, behavioral issues, health issues, often help with training tips, and should the worst happen (you can't handle the dog) many will take the dog back. They often will work with you and match a dog (temperment) to you and your situation and often they'll help you decide if you should start with a pup or a young adult.
    Please don't support the puppy mills and back-yard-breeders.

• @taeyeon:

I am thinking about purchasing a basenji in the near future, whether it be from a local breeder or online. If i happen to take the online route, how can I make sure the basenji I am getting is healthy and that the breeder is legit. What kind of information should I ask of them and what should I look for? Red flags?

Thanks.

There are some nice puppies from reputable breeders available in Indiana. If you want their phone number or emails - let me know.

• A dear friend has rescued a very psychologically damaged basenji who was from puppyfind, from a 'breeder' in the midwest. She was bought at 9 months old, at a discount price, and was totally unsocialized to humans. Great with other dogs but almost autistic in her reaction to humans. Her owner was not dog-savy at all and did not read any of her cues and had her for only 3 months when he relinquished her to my friend to foster and try and bring her around. My friend has had her for 5 months so looks like she is failing "fostering 101" but she has poured tons of effort into this dog. Please don't buy a pup that has been in a pen, or yard with other dogs and no human contact, I assure you that is not a good way to go!

• @taeyeon:

ok thanks for the information.

I was planning on going local breeder as well and I guess I will be doing that.

There are a number of good breeders in IL. You can also check out the www.bcosw.org website for more info as well.

• thank you guys for all your help.
    I plan on meeting up with a local breeder and going through the whole process.

I just dunno if i can wait like 6 months tho!!!! I want a puppy sooooo bad.

• @taeyeon:

thank you guys for all your help.
    I plan on meeting up with a local breeder and going through the whole process.

I just dunno if i can wait like 6 months tho!!!! I want a puppy sooooo bad.

Most of the basenji puppies will be born late in 2009 or early 2010, so at 10 weeks old you could easily be waiting until January-March for a puppy. It's totally worth the wait though! Otherwise, you may want to follow up with dmcarty's suggestion if you want one sooner. IN isn't too far.

• And you can start saving your money now to pay for the pup, so if it is a bit more than the puppyfind ones, it won't be an issue.

• money is not the issue. its just that on websites, their is a more variety of gender/color and the fact local breeders could be maxed out on their waiting lists..

but yeah, im gonna be contacting breeders around this area, when the time comes.

• If you know what you want and are up front with the breeders they should be able to find you a responsibly bred puppy that meets your needs. I know that many of the breeders on this list refer to each other when we do not have what our puppy people are looking for in a litter. There is no way to know for sure how many pups, what colors, and genders you will have in a litter and then there is temperament and overall fit to consider. The more flexibility you have the easier it is to find a puppy but just be patient and keep lines of communication open with the breeder so they can help you find what you are looking for.

• @taeyeon:

money is not the issue. its just that on websites, their is a more variety of gender/color and the fact local breeders could be maxed out on their waiting lists..

but yeah, im gonna be contacting breeders around this area, when the time comes.

They have more because they do not breed in a responsible manner… they just produce puppies and sell them, period. You pick the one you want... like buying a piece of clothing.. not a living breathing being... that will be with you for 14 to 17yrs... Responsible breeders do the picking, they match the puppy with the home.. because they know the pups.. living with them from the day they were born... If you are breeding 3 and 4 litters at a time you could have up to (figuring the average litter is 5) up to 20 pups... there is no one that could really properly socialize that many pups.. know them, know their temperaments... and pick the pup that best suits the family. Add of course no health testing to that... and what you have is someone in it for profit only...

And as lvoss said you have to be flexible... you might want a red bitch, for example.. however in the breeders opinion the one that suits your family the best is the brindle male... so if you try not to get stuck on sex or color.. you are much more likely to get a pup...

• @tanza:

And as lvoss said you have to be flexible… you might want a red bitch, for example.. however in the breeders opinion the one that suits your family the best is the brindle male... so if you try not to get stuck on sex or color.. you are much more likely to get a pup...

Oh, but the brindle boys are the absolute best. 😉

• The thing to keep in mind when talking to breeders is that the more non-negotiables you have the more patience you will also need to have. When I was first looking to get a basenji I wanted a black male. I ended up with a red male and he has been the best first basenji. My second basenji is a black female, she is also the right fit.

If gender and/or color is non-negotiable, start talking to breeders now and letting them know what you want. Don't be discouraged if you have to wait for that perfect match, it really is worth it.

• What about shipping a puppy from a reputable breeder that's listed on the BCOA Breeder Directory website.

Is it bad for the puppy to be shipped on an airplane for about 3 hours?

You guys are probably going to say, why cant you just get one from a local breeder, etc.. but I'm just curious.

Suggested Topics