Skip to content

My puppy wont let me sleep (and some more serious problems)

Basenji Talk

Suggested Topics

  • Socialization problems

    Basenji Talk
    4
    0 Votes
    4 Posts
    4k Views
    DebraDownSouthD
    One thing that MIGHT help is to really exercise and wear her out before you go out. But I do think obedience classes will be a great boon for both her listening during distractions and being around other dogs. It would be very helpful if you can find a few buddies that will go walk with you ... keeping the dogs on leash, separated, but just strolling around getting used to being around but not playing with another dog. You may get a lot more out of it if you have obedience well underway first, so that you are fine tuning her there. Mary's site has just about every basic training, and she is simple and easy to understand. http://www.clickerlessons.com/index.htm Okay so on your dog mix... If you can afford it, I'd do a wisdom panel. It isn't cheap, but it is excellent. I hope for your sanity they find your dog is NOT actually a Carolina dog because ouch. Both basenjis and carolina dogs are "primitives"... and although Basenji DNA is more consistent than the Carolina dog (which has a lot of other breeds mixed in since they lived wild in the USA with a lot of other breeds around to mate with, whereas until recent times Basenjis were more isolated from other groups), you've got a double dose of "yeah maybe I'll listen, maybe I won't... and I really am good at running off and doing my own thing." Having the DNA might help show how much of the primitive genes are in there. Sadly the Wisdom Panel doesn't test for Carolina dog as a breed, and I can't find any that do. But they can look for those primitive lines. That said, having lived in SC and living in GA, I have met a few Carolina dogs. Obviously with my love for Basenjis and Chows, I'm fond of the primitives. But you have to train smart. Really glad you found the forum, will be fun watching her mature!
  • Sleeping In Bed?

    Basenji Talk
    23
    0 Votes
    23 Posts
    18k Views
    ThanaT
    My Mr Eko will be 10 weeks tomorrow. He is a very good puppy too, as he sleeps in his own bed in our bedroom, and has never attepmted to get onto the bed (yet). ALthough we would love to have him in bed, we have decided to keep it as it is (as long as it lasts, i should say instead). He is also very quiet when crated (although i still have to get over my own distress for restricting him while we are at work). But he does love to chew!!!
  • Puppy Parents

    Basenji Talk
    36
    0 Votes
    36 Posts
    20k Views
    luzmery928L
    OMG ur babies are all so DARN CUTE!!!!!! I want a baby too!!
  • Loyal Puppy

    Basenji Talk
    14
    0 Votes
    14 Posts
    7k Views
    subaruthieS
    My husband was afraid that Cooper was "my" dog at first, but things really evened out after we went through training as a family. Now, Cooper is attached to me during the day (when I have days off), and glues himself to Geoff after dinner every night. He still walks and rides in the car better with me, though. And I'm the only one who can brush his teeth!
  • Sleep!!! I got Sleep!!!

    Basenji Talk
    10
    0 Votes
    10 Posts
    6k Views
    tanzaT
    Having your Basenjis get used to crates by riding does help…in the long run.. the start besides things like feeding them in the crate... to associate the crate with fun times.... and when you are at an event... the crate becomes as safe haven... and a place to crash... at our lure trial in March... Kobey was there.. I always have crates in my van... and with so much activity going on... Kobey was very happy to be in the crate and taking a nap....
  • Where does your B sleep?

    Basenji Talk
    104
    0 Votes
    104 Posts
    84k Views
    RivermoonR
    All three pups sleep in bed with us. We bought two double beds and stuck them togeather so we could all fit. It's still crowded. My next dog IS going to sleep in a crate!