• Oh, and to 'wizard'. Yes, we have talked about it and they support it completely. And I mean seriously talked about it. And, yes, I am ready fro the responsibility of a dog.

• Again I would ask, does the breeder you plan on getting a puppy from know that this pup would be made to be an outdoor dog?
    And honestly… this is not a good option for a Basenji at all..... There are NO "pros" for keeping a dog outside... even in California...

• @jiggypig528:

Alright, people, alright! Please, please, give me a break. It's not my fault that my mom wants it to be an outside dog! She thinks that if it's an inside dog it will chew everything, that's it!

You need to understand that a Basenji kept outside can also do a lot of damage. Wall corners and edges can be chewed, as can garden hoses, faucet heads, furniture, fences - they really can be quite resourceful in their choices and in finding ways to chew the most incredible things in ridiculous places.

Just because your friend's Basenji doesn't appear to have such inclinations, doesn't mean yours will not. I have two – one doesn't chew much of anything and never really did, the other chews everything he can get his teeth on. Some of the things they can chew outside can wind up being more costly to repair than things inside.

Also, you need to consider the noise. If your pup wants in, he will let everyone in the ENTIRE neighborhood know that he is NOT happy.
    It is not uncommon for Basenji owners' neighbors to call the police because the screaming sounds like a human child is being abused -- and that is when the dog is INSIDE! :eek: Outside, the sound will travel much farther and be far more disturbing to the neighbors.

Considering your age, I cannot help but wonder if this is a good idea. The dog will live 12 - 15+ yrs. You cannot know now where your life will lead you -- college? Do your folks want to keep the dog while you are in a dorm? shakey job market? Will you be able to afford the care of the dog, esp as it ages and possibly develops medical issues? Maybe you will have problems finding an apartment you can afford that allows dogs.

LOTS of things to consider.

• Wow I had pretty much concluded that you were never coming back as it's been awhile. I have to admit I had an adverse reaction to your age…BUT a second later I realized that it very easily becomes a slippery slope sort of thing as I'm only 24.
    This basenji will officially be your dog yes? But Mom and Dad will pay for most everything? But you're expected to take care of it?
    Do you think they're worried that they will get stuck with most of the care?
    I think it will be a much happier situation for all involved if it's equally everyone's dog and everyone is equally committed. I just imagine the poor pup chewing something important to Mom and/or Dad and you get yelled at because YOUR dog chewed something that shouldn't have been on the floor to begin with. But maybe you didn't pick it up because it wasn't yours...but the reality is if it's your dog and living inside you will be the housekeeper. How to put this....I see the potential for some issues with these circumstances of different ideas of what dog ownership means coupled with the fact that they pay the mortgage or rent and ultimately call the shots.

• @JazzysMom:

Considering your age, I cannot help but wonder if this is a good idea. The dog will live 12 - 15+ yrs. You cannot know now where your life will lead you – college? Do your folks want to keep the dog while you are in a dorm? shakey job market? Will you be able to afford the care of the dog, esp as it ages and possibly develops medical issues? Maybe you will have problems finding an apartment you can afford that allows dogs.

LOTS of things to consider.

Really well put….all this crossed my mind also. The whole college thing....gosh I could never have had a dog while I was in college, I mean really, they kept me so busy. I also didn't have a car the first two years, I lived on campus and needless to say no pets allowed in the dorms.

• You are in a really tough position. It sounds like you really want to do what is needed to be a responsible pet owner but that your parents aren't really in the same place as you are. As has been pointed out basenjis live into their teens. It really sounds like though your parents are supportive you having a dog they don't necessarily want the responsibility of a dog. What will happen when you go to college? If you are the dog's primary caregiver and can not take the dog with you, what will happen to it? It is very hard to rehome older dogs and hard on the dog to be uprooted from the family they know and love.

• Sorry you think folks have been mean. It's tough not hearing anything positive.
    But really I have to agree with all the others who posted.

• I would have to recommend putting off getting the dog for now as well. I have nothing wrong with your age, and schooling by itself, but It is a HUGE issue if your parents aren't on the same page. I have my own apartment, and still have issues with my parents' dog ownership ideas. They have owned dogs for over 30 years each, and yet, they don't quite understand the need to have a dog be a true part of the family and not just an back lawn living ornament.

I can't imagine not having Medjai the last two years, and know I can afford him and take care of him up to several thousand dollars for medical care a couple times before I get a better job after graduation. I have been lucky with the expenses so far, but I could easily see how taking care of my one dog could cost upwards of $5000 at the vet the last year and a half without any extremely major things like some of our unlucky members have run into.

Give yourself time to get a place of your own, and see how much time you have. Take a look at learning more about dogs in general, as well as Basenji specifics, and then look at getting a dog again, if it still fits your situation.

• @lvoss:

You are in a really tough position. It sounds like you really want to do what is needed to be a responsible pet owner but that your parents aren't really in the same place as you are. As has been pointed out basenjis live into their teens. It really sounds like though your parents are supportive you having a dog they don't necessarily want the responsibility of a dog. What will happen when you go to college? If you are the dog's primary caregiver and can not take the dog with you, what will happen to it? It is very hard to rehome older dogs and hard on the dog to be uprooted from the family they know and love.

And as said they can and do live well into their teens. And it gets tough with elders. I have 3 elders now, one that will be 14 in December, one that will be 16 in February and one that was 17 last September. The 17 yr old is really showing his age and has problems holding his bladder… and there is no possible way he could survive outdoors. The coming 16 yr old will be having surgery next week for a mass/tumor on her Adrenal Gland... and believe me, it will not be cheap... are you prepared for that?... As others have said, if you are only 13, this pup will be only 5 or 6 when it is time for you to go off to college... what happens then? Your parents will become the caretakers all day, every day? Do you think this is really a wise choice?

• Jiggypig, since you said your parents were okay with getting a dog - what kind of dog breed do they see having around the house? Are they willing to help take care of the dog (whatever kind it is)? We want to be supportive of you but we are only hearing your side of the story - not your parents' side. We're are not against you getting a dog - we're just concerned for you and what you may be in for and for the dog. Several of the folks here are/were involved in rescuing dogs and have seen what can happen when things don't go as planned. [and you have to remember you are only seeing our words here not us - sometimes words alone don't convey the entire message, facial expressions help convey mood when words dont' - so we're not judging you]

Suggested Topics