What you Miss when a Basenji exits your life…

• @RockysWoman:

Since Rocky's death, I have found myself missing the strangest things. I'm guessing these are things only a Basenji owner would miss…

So I raise a toast… To all those loved and owned by Basenji... and to the "Good Dogs" who have gone before...

Thank you! Here's to the "Good Dogs" who've gone before and to my own Rocky "Rockpup the buttercup" a Chow-mix that passed over the Rainbow Bridge nearly 5 years ago. I cried the first week preparing meals. I found myself carving some scraps out just for him, only to turn around and he wasn't there. I felt so empty-without him. Writing this and reading your post brings it back "sniff-sniff". You have my sympathies. Yes - the pain and hurt from your loss will subside - know that your Rocky now lives in your heart.

• My sincerest condolences on your loss. When we lost Cassi after 15 years I swear I could hear her tags jingling for weeks after she was gone. We still have another 15+ Basenji (Alex) that I doubt will hang on for another year. It's really hard to lose them, but remembering all the good times helps to ease the pain.

• I read this poem when I think of my beloved b's who have passed.
    It used to make me cry…now I realize how very true it is.
    Hugs, dear, hugs, hugs, hugs.

Death is Nothing at All

I have only slipped away into the next room
    I am I, and you are you
    Whatever we were to each other, that we are still.

Call me by the old familiar name.
    Speak of me in the easy way you always used to.
    Put no difference into your tone.
    Wear no forced air of solemnity or sorrow.
    Laugh as we always laughed
    At the little jokes that we enjoyed together.

Play, smile, think of me
    pray for me.

Let my name be ever the household word that it always was.
    Let it be spoken without effort,
    Without the ghost of a shadow upon it.

Life means all that it ever meant
    It is the same as it ever was.
    There is absolute and unbroken continuity.

What is this death but a negligible accident?
    Why should I be out of mind because I am out of sight?
    I am but waiting for you for an interval,
    somewhere very near,
    Just round the corner.

All is well.

(By Henry Scott Holland)

• Sharon, that is absolutely beautiful! Thank you…

I know Rock is up there picking out the next dog to come live with us. And I know it will be a test of patience... but never a test of love.

How crazy are we to allow our hearts to open and be broken repeatedly... all for the love of a dog. I am so lucky to have been loved whole-heartedly by the best of dogs.

• I am so glad you like it.
    My 7 yr old neice asked me why dogs die before we do…
    I told her that dogs are so wonderful, giving and loving, we would probably not deal with humans at ALL...
    Laugh..
    Hugs dear.
    It never easy to lose them, but I do believe we do all join up again in the next life.

• @RockysWoman:

I am so lucky to have been loved whole-heartedly by the best of dogs.

And they by you (us) - love is a blessed event.

• Someone on this forum has the most wonderful signature block. I can't remember it all but it says something about choosing to surround ourselves with fragile lives. I just love it.

I'm so sorry for your loss Rockys woman. I believe I understand your pain as I lost my little girl last July to distemper. She was only three. I know it is hard and I hope that you find a place in your heart for another b in the future. I did, and I like to believe that the two I have now were picked out by my little Keba whose little toy still lies on the pillow where she left it. Hugs to you and may God bless.

• I'm so sorry for your loss. I've never lost a dog before, but I know how torn up I was last year when Senji was in the doggie hospital very close to death. It just seems so empty at home when they're not there. We grieve for them just as we do any other member of our family. You're in my prayers.

• I understand how you feel, we lost Benji in February and i miss him so much even though we have other pets.
    I miss the warmth of him curled up next to me and the sheer arrogance that he had. It seems weird to be able to leave pens and glasses about and doors open, without him wreaking havok.
    We Basenji people put up with so much, do they bewich us. I didn't realise other people put up with so much untill i joined this forum.

• I'm sorry for your loss. I lost mine on 4/13 at 15-1/2.

Suggested Topics