• My vet tells me that my chili dog is, in her opinion, pure b. my only question is with his ears. They dont stand up all the time. He was guesstimated to be no older than 1 year old by the vet, can a B have floppy ears and be pure? Not that i'm gonna love him any less, just trying to figure him out, we have no history on him. I will post pics soon

• Pics would help the most to tell.

But it might just be that one rare basenji with floppy ears, I have met a few dogs that were suppose to have ears that stick up that they flopped, one was an akita, some collies, german shepard, bostons, it happens. I've never seen one though (basenji)

• @Chilidog:

My vet tells me that my chili dog is, in her opinion, pure b. my only question is with his ears. They dont stand up all the time. He was guesstimated to be no older than 1 year old by the vet, can a B have floppy ears and be pure? Not that i'm gonna love him any less, just trying to figure him out, we have no history on him. I will post pics soon

would love to see pictures of Chili… but I have never seen a Basenji with floppy ears.... unless there was birth defect, and that was only in one ear...

• The only pure basenji I've seen with an ear down had it injured in a fight and was permanently damaged. Please post pics though and welcome to the forum!!! 😃 😃 🙂 🙂

• Yes, welcome!! 🙂 Pics! Pics! Pics!

• I would like to see the photos of the ears as well.

• @renaultf1:

The only pure basenji I've seen with an ear down had it injured in a fight and was permanently damaged. Please post pics though and welcome to the forum!!! 😃 😃 🙂 🙂

Since this basenji was rescued from a canal and was not in the greatest shape, there might be the possibility that it suffered some injury that keeps the ears from being erect. Pictures will tell. (This coming from someone who is STILL struggling to post pictures. 😕 )

Pat

• Okay old thread, but Cara will be 4 mos old on the 7th and her ears are NOT up.. in fact they were up one at a time for about a week, now not up at all.

• Very cute, even with ears down.

• But this was one from the Fla rescue, right? So parentage and if purebred is in question, right? That said, very cute… and also many times when a breed with "pricked" ears starts to lose baby teeth and get adults teeth, their ears will flop.

• Miss Wheat had some bad ear days when she was teething but they are fine now.

• Pat, can't poor food, or lack of food mess up their ears? I thought I heard that someplace.

• she looks very cute!!
    she might be a basenji x jack russel cross or something like that 🙂

• @sharronhurlbut:

Pat, can't poor food, or lack of food mess up their ears? I thought I heard that someplace.

Not that I have ever heard or seen

• Ok, I was in error. Thanks for setting me straight.

• I understand that all the Florida rescues take 5 or 6 months for the ears to stand up well, but all have eventually popped up. One of the mothers had flop ears, but except for that, was a "perfect" basenji.

• What???? LOL A 'perfect' Basenji? I would love to see this! Aren't they all 'perfect?'

• They are 'perfectly basenji' , all the time!

• My sweetheart Dale, his ears flop over like Chili's - he is a rescue too so we think he may be part fox terrier, though he is so Basenji like, not hyper like a Terrier would be. He is missing a back leg due to an injury he arrived with at the shelter, but that does not stop him at all. We just say he's misplaced a sock. I've had him almost 3 yrs now and his ears are still down. Here's a pix with his sister Pippi - she's a lhasa rescue - and missing an eye.
    attachment_p_135553_0_dnp.jpg

• Houston

What lovely puppies you have, Miles331.

Suggested Topics