• Tayda has always been good uncrated while I'm gone, but since I got Lenny I have crated them together. Lenny is more michevious but I wasn't worried about him hurting himself (i.e.. chewing electrical cords)I had to run to the post office for 15 minutes so I thought I'd give it a whirl… they were both sunbathing and they really couldn't be bothered to even get up to see me out the door. I came back and looked into the window and there they both were, sleeping still. 🙂 I don't think they even moved while I was gone.

I'm home all day since last week when I finished my job and while I wait to move to NY....and Im realizing how lazy they are! I have east and west facing windows and all morning they are laying in the sun near the east facing windows, and then they move to the other side of the house in the afternoon! ha ha.

• Did it again today for longer… probably around 2 hours.

Just wondering, how many of you out there leave your B's at home loose, in the crate, confined to one room, in an expen, etc etc etc when you arent home? What kinds of weird things have you come home to?

• Whoo! Good for you!

We leave Querk confined to the family room; as many of you know he is completely crate-phobic. He used to be perfect, we never found anything disturbed…but lately he has taken to surfing the tables and (GASP!) climbing onto the benches of the dining table and (DOUBLE GASP!) climbing ON TO the table, as soon as we leave the house (we have snuck back in to put an end to it, but I am sure he still does it if there is something appealing up there).

Nobody else stays out of their crate. Occasionally I will leave Querk and one of the girls in the yard if I am going to be gone for less than 30 minutes. I have considered leaving Blondie, or Luna in the family room with Querk during the day, as they are pretty reliable unsupervised...Ivy and Bella? NO WAY!!! Total destruction!

I also don't leave girls together unsupervised. The first time I visited one of my mentors, she greeted me at the door holding a bloody dog! She said two of the girls fought while I was at work..I will be with you in a minute! Yikes!! Luckily the loser of the fight was able to get away under a porch..and only had minor injuries. But still...I don't risk it. No matter how well the seem to get along.

• My 2 b's are uncrated when we are at work.
    Hubby walks them about a mile before work, I take them out for one more "pee" before I go to work, and then I get home after about 6 hrs and walk them again.
    We have had a few "items" chewed…mostly paper shreding... but mostly they sleep.
    Oh, we do have a fully fenced backyard and a doggie door..
    Unless is very warm and sunny, the prefer to sleep on our pillows.

• All of mine are left home uncrated especially now in their advanced years… But even when they were younger, they have their own room with access to the doggy door and the yard. The room is mostly "bare" of things so it is truly their room.... Of course this was different when we had in-tact boys and girls, during seasons, they were crated ...

• Savannah is four and has never been crated. Talker has been left alone with Savannah since we got her 3-1/2 years ago. Both are good uncrated and when I'm home, I find all they do is sleep during the day. They go outside thru the doggie and back in for more sleep.

They are very calm when alone.

• When I was laid off a few years back, i realized that the dogs just lay around 95% of the time. However, it only takes a few minutes of chewing for them to ruin a piece of furniture. I built a room in the garage with heat and ventilation they can go into (there is a dog door) and they can also come into the laundry room, but otherwise they are outside when we are gone. Basically the room is a 4x7 crate for them with elevated beds.

• We have had good & bad experiences…most times they just sleep but other times they have gotten into trouble...I've lost an ottoman :mad: after I left once for 2hrs. Other times they're great! We left them for ONE HOUR once & they managed to get into the DVD case & ruined some DVD...chewed up plastic every where :mad: :mad: :mad: :eek: :eek: DH was not happy at all!

• Shadow and Sugar are left uncrated almost all the time. Damisi is always crated.

• @Tayda_Lenny:

Tayda has always been good uncrated while I'm gone, but since I got Lenny I have crated them together. Lenny is more michevious but I wasn't worried about him hurting himself (i.e.. chewing electrical cords)

I WAS JUST WONDERING IF AT FIRST YOU EXPERIENCED ANY DOMINANCE/AGGRESIVE ISSUES WHEN YOU FIRST BROUGHT LENNY HOME..WE JUST BROUGHT BELLE HOME AND DON'T FEEL COMFORTABLE LEAVING THEM UNCRATED SINCE THEY STILL FIGHT, THOUGH IT'S REALLY ONLY BEEN 2 1/2 WEEKS

• She-Ra's always uncrated. Aside from the occasional mess, and they ARE occasional, she does fine…usually she's taking an extended snooze so she'll be ready for walkies when Dad comes home. 🙂

• Hey Luzmery,

When I brought Lenny home he was only 14 weeks old, and Tayda was 2.5, and they did get into some dominance battles. They still do. For the most part, I think Tayda lets Lenny think he is the boss, but every so often there will be a big smack down and Tayda is queen again. I have never worried about them getting into a fight when they are in their crate though, if thats what you are worried about. I did used to video tape them while I was gone to see what they did in the crate, and normally they just slept. Lenny would often try to sleep on TOP of Tayda and then she would let him know she didn't like that, and then all would be fine again…

• My issue is that we leave our bedroom door closed (you know the shoe eating thing) and that's really Belle's only refuge should she need time apart from Champ. So there really would be no place for her to go to if he is bothering her and then that's when the fight comes on. They are left in seperate crates when we leave but Belle hates it and does not eat or drink in her crate. I don't even think she sleeps when we leave her in there. I wonder how long this bikering will go on so I can feel safe leaving them out of the crate. Belle is 2.5 and Champ is almost 2

• @luzmery928:

@Tayda_Lenny:

Tayda has always been good uncrated while I'm gone, but since I got Lenny I have crated them together. Lenny is more michevious but I wasn't worried about him hurting himself (i.e.. chewing electrical cords)

I WAS JUST WONDERING IF AT FIRST YOU EXPERIENCED ANY DOMINANCE/AGGRESIVE ISSUES WHEN YOU FIRST BROUGHT LENNY HOME..WE JUST BROUGHT BELLE HOME AND DON'T FEEL COMFORTABLE LEAVING THEM UNCRATED SINCE THEY STILL FIGHT, THOUGH IT'S REALLY ONLY BEEN 2 1/2 WEEKS

luzmery - It's ONLY been 7 1/2 months since I brought Daisy home. Duke and Daisy STILL have issues. Usually, it is with us humans that spur the first riff of the day. Duke can't stand it when Daisy gets attention from us (especially me). They argue over about everything . . . food, toys, attention, or during play). Based on my experience, don't expect too much too soon. Sometimes, I think the banter is play. And like children, it starts out that way, but then it escalates into a fight. They get louder and louder, until they are fighting. (like kids) My sympathies - It is very annoying, isn't it? When will it ever end . . . 😕

I would not now or seemingly ever let them loose in the house or in the same crate unsupervised. Both are very young - Duke 1 3/4 years and Daisy 10 mos old.

• it's is annoying just because we brought Belle home for Champ and didn't expect so much fighting. But I do have to say, with each day they are getting better and playing more nice. I love when they pass wach other and give each other that niff kiss..lol

• my mom and dad were alwasy taking in strays - dogs cats whatever. One cat they had was quite feral and my mom had feather dusters in several places. When the cat would pounce on one of the dogs or the other cat - she got a face full of feather duster. It was interesting to see and labor intensive - but it did work to break up fights without yelling. Sort of a redirection of thought.

Suggested Topics