Skip to content

Greetings from Florida! New basenji family

Member Introductions

Suggested Topics

  • 0 Votes
    16 Posts
    16k Views
    E
    @zande thank you so much for your help
  • 0 Votes
    15 Posts
    14k Views
    eeeefarmE
    I think signalling is a great idea, although I have never used it. A friend taught her two Bichons to do it with a bell at the door. My dogs always let me know when they needed out. We had a regular routine, but if a potty break was needed at some other time, restless pacing and trotting toward the door was a pretty clear picture. Never a problem. Worst thing is the sound of a dog beginning to retch and jumping off the bed at 4 a.m. Seldom managed to get outside quick enough!
  • New Basenji!!

    Basenji Talk
    19
    3 Votes
    19 Posts
    17k Views
    DebraDownSouthD
    @rugosa LOL on the pig ear. But it's not just a basenji trait. One night it was storming and one of my rotts was fixated on one of the bedroom windows. I looked, there was a toad on the screen! The dog was so intense about wanting to get to it, my daughter went out in the rain and moved it from the window. From then until she died, day or night, I had to let her in the bedroom when it stormed to make sure the once-in-a-lifetime visitor wasn't there. They think more than many people give them credit for.
  • New to Forum/New to Basenjis

    Member Introductions
    8
    0 Votes
    8 Posts
    6k Views
    MacPackM
    Welcome and congratulations! I have two BRATS myself, and a third basenji as well. So beware, they ARE like potato chips (You can't have just one) I love her name, she is gorgeous. Can't wait to hear all about her Homecoming!
  • New Basenji in our Family Tonight!

    Member Introductions
    32
    0 Votes
    32 Posts
    19k Views
    NemoN
    @dorvaan: He's gonna be incredibly picky about his toys. We got him 5 different ones, to begin with. He ignores all of them, except for one. Now, little rawhide bones? That's a whole 'nother story….. If he spent a lot of time in a kennel he might not be used to playing with toys. If he likes food-based toys you could try a stuffed kong or or something like these… http://www.premier.com/View.aspx?page=dogs/products/behavior/busybuddy/squirreldude/description http://www.triplecrowndogs.com/product/1591/Everlasting-Treat-Ball.html You can get them on Amazon or a lot of other websites. I saw the treat-ball at Petco. And if you are interested in taking the puppy to a eye doc, I can get some recommendations for you. There are a lot of basenji people in the southern part of the state and I can get some references for you when I meet up with the basenji club this weekend.
  • New member wanting to meet new basenji people

    Member Introductions
    12
    0 Votes
    12 Posts
    7k Views
    RivermoonR
    HI…welcome! I also have a Rocket Socks kid!!!