Skip to content

Where can I get the "How To Be A Basenji" manual written in Basenji?

Basenji Talk

Suggested Topics

  • Does your Basenji canter "true"?

    Basenji Talk
    5
    0 Votes
    5 Posts
    4k Views
    eeeefarmE
    @Knipper: Cricket canters true on left and right lead. Her flying lead changes are stunning! I wish I could get those out of Ryley! Perry does nice flying changes too, and occasionally does a simple change through trot. He is certainly smoother and more consistent than most of my horses, who will throw in a disunited stride or two on occasion! :)
  • "Free" Basenjis =/

    Basenji Talk
    9
    0 Votes
    9 Posts
    5k Views
    S
    Oh, and I bet they are intact…sigh...we will be seeing lots of b's and b mixes coming up... Darn it!!!
  • Considering getting a Basenji

    Basenji Talk
    4
    0 Votes
    4 Posts
    3k Views
    lvossL
    Yes, early socialization and positive experiences is the best way to go. I think the most important thing about puppy kindergarten is that it is positive based and focuses on socialization with both people and dogs. Some basenji don't necessarily do well with the small dogs and other love them. Sophie was always the best with the new pups of any size in her puppy class, she just had phenomenal dog language and would make herself as small as possible and go at their speed. What you want to be careful about is people who have already formed a preconceived notion of basenji behavior. My mom's first puppy class instructor always expected her boy to be aggressive even though he never showed any aggression and was always very appropriate in his interactions. I crate puppies next to the bed while housebreaking and it works fine. I have always used a large stuffed toy in the crate and this year used SnugglePuppies, they were wonderful. The pup snuggled right up to warmth and fell asleep, provided we did a good job of tiring him out for the night. I got my first basenji while I was in Grad school and lived in an apartment. It is doable as long as you are willing to make sure they get enough exercise and mental stimulation.
  • Can a Basenji and Cat Get Along? Only When Sleeping

    Basenji Talk
    13
    0 Votes
    13 Posts
    7k Views
    dashD
    Those pictures were very cute. Our one cat, Amber, looks exactly the same. Dash can be too rough with Amber so when she feels overwhelmed she runs into the basement until Dash calms down. But they commonly sleep together. Our other cat, Giz, is older and Dash doesn't bother him at all. I think it is because Giz doesn't run.
  • This Basenji can Sing!!!

    Basenji Talk
    7
    0 Votes
    7 Posts
    5k Views
    VanessaV
    When I played the video in my office at home my cat wouldn't stop meowing! Does that mean im going to be looking forward to a basenji singing and a cat as well???!!!!!! :D
  • My Basenji was "that dog" today

    Basenji Talk
    29
    0 Votes
    29 Posts
    16k Views
    basenjiprinceB
    I used to say my dog was aggressive until I read this thread… Now I say it is more of a defensive mechanism for Buddi. Buddi doesn't like anyone or anything to approach him. He wants to smell and get to know them or it first. If someone new comes into the house I tell them not to acknowledge Buddi at first and then once he has finished getting to know them he will walk away. After that he is fine. But if someone walks in and puts their hand towards him he instantly turns into a very loud and shows aggressive behavior like he is going to attack. The theory has worked very well to date. With dogs it is a little different. He also doesnt like small dogs. The ones close to his size or larger we have never had a problem. Should I handle the situations in a different manner? Also he doesnt go to a doggie spa or day care so we make sure to go to the park and keep him socialized with dogs there and ones that he knows. We also have friends with young kids and he loves them. Has never growled or snipped at them. He LOVES to play!!!!