Skip to content

Play time

Basenji Talk

Suggested Topics

  • Seeking a red and white puppy in France

    Basenjis For Sale or Wanted
    3
    0 Votes
    3 Posts
    8k Views
    ZandeZ
    While American breeders do indeed often rehome Basenjis once they have finished, ie. become a champion, this is far less prevalent in Europe. Post me privately - my email address is on my website listed in my signature block - and I will put you in touch with breeders for next winter's crop of puppies
  • 0 Votes
    15 Posts
    14k Views
    eeeefarmE
    I think signalling is a great idea, although I have never used it. A friend taught her two Bichons to do it with a bell at the door. My dogs always let me know when they needed out. We had a regular routine, but if a potty break was needed at some other time, restless pacing and trotting toward the door was a pretty clear picture. Never a problem. Worst thing is the sound of a dog beginning to retch and jumping off the bed at 4 a.m. Seldom managed to get outside quick enough!
  • 1 Votes
    5 Posts
    18k Views
    DebraDownSouthD
    All excellent advice, not much I can add. I have a 9 week old Samoyed here and I'm pretty much kangaroo momming him. Right now he's even sleeping with me. Fortunately I have my daughter and her father helping out so I get some breaks, and my daughter does most of it when she's home 2 days a week. Samoyed are extremely people needy, but honestly I am the one who can't bear him being on his own too much this early. Even with doctor appointments, he has a crate in the living room so Larry can take him out to play/potty and snuggle (since I'm usually gone 5 to 6 hrs some days). Easy adjustment.. put in crate, happy voice "i'll be back" and leave. Go out the door and leave alone at least 15 mins. Keep extending it over several days until you are up to a couple of hours. By that point, they do get you will come back. Just no drama, no soothing poor baby stuff... nonchalant. Happy leaving, happy return. Make sure safe toys, chews in crate. If you can arrange it so her work and your's don't quite overlap so he's no alone more than 4 hrs, that would be idea. If not... swap out coming home for lunch break? Good luck.. and please post pictures :) Also, where did you get him? A lot of the basenjis here are related. (My basenji now is a rescue so not related.) It's nice to see the connections though!
  • Bath time…

    Basenji Talk
    18
    0 Votes
    18 Posts
    10k Views
    MomOfMyaM
    @rammaam: The only way to bath my two, is to take them into the shower. I use the sprayer with hose. My husband get in the shower and bathes them and I hold the other so he does not escape the bathroo. Then its his turn. While he getting his shower, i'm drying his sister, (with lots of help). It ends up with everyone soaked. lol… Mya showers as well. She just can't stand the bath. But she'll tolerate the shower. :p
  • Chipmunk play

    Basenji Talk
    4
    0 Votes
    4 Posts
    2k Views
    wizardW
    I'm not sure if you can see the chipmunk but … http://www.basenjiforums.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/2485/ppuser/790
  • How does you B let you know it's Play Time?

    Basenji Talk
    8
    0 Votes
    8 Posts
    6k Views
    A
    when Roxy wants to play she'll usually push me! lol she runs up to me and does a little grr and pushes me again, if i dont pay attention to her she runs to get her ball and pushes me with it in her mouth until i grab it from her and throw it. if im sitting down on the couch or something she'll run up and throw herself on me jump off look at me and run off so ill chase her. its sooo cute! ahh i love her!!!!