Advice please if a Basenji might be a good match.

• @debradownsouth I'm referring to Shelters, not Rescue Groups. Local government shelters (according to the Animal Control Officers in my corner of the world) consider Petfinder to be an unreliable, often outdated, source. They recommend using PetHarbor.

Wikipedia, btw, does not guarantee accuracy on any subject. Furthermore, I would consider 14,000 (combined shelters and rescue groups) to be a drop in the bucket. The biggest problem with Petfinder as a resource would be that it's only as accurate as the person posting the information. Some things might be spot on, others... not.

• @elbrant said in Advice please if a Basenji might be a good match.:

@debradownsouth I'm referring to Shelters, not Rescue Groups. Local government shelters (according to the Animal Control Officers in my corner of the world) consider Petfinder to be an unreliable, often outdated, source. They recommend using PetHarbor.

Wikipedia, btw, does not guarantee accuracy on any subject. Furthermore, I would consider 14,000 (combined shelters and rescue groups) to be a drop in the bucket. The biggest problem with Petfinder as a resource would be that it's only as accurate as the person posting the information. Some things might be spot on, others... not.

Not sure why this seems a hot button...but you said:
    "Local Animal Shelters do not post on Petfinder, they post on PetHarbor. "

Not sure where it went from local to just "your corner ".. but sadly I find both large and small shelters and rescues aren't totally relIable...and I'd be surprised to find any group, wiki, petfinder, etc promising accuracy. (" PetHarbor make no assertions about the availability, behavior or condition of any animal.")

The way they have over 300,000 adoptable pets listed is precisely by having each source upload. According to the ASPCA, around 3.4 million dogs and cats are adopted each year from shelters. I don't find listing 315,000 pets to be a drop in the bucket. Not that any of the data is all that accurate...most is self reported and some studies have exposed high rates of false positive reporting. Petharbor, btw, says they also list shelter, SPCA, Humane Society, county or city Animal Control, and many private animal-welfare organizations."

To me, it isn't a contest ...list everywhere you can. My friend began a county by county rescue volunteer organization a few years ago. They have done incredibly well, but the time needed is staggering. I'm just happy for everyone who helps. Hopefully Petharbor can share ways to have more accuracy. It's all good.

• You did not mention how high your fence was or what kind. Hope it is not chainlink. Basenji's can climb chainlink.

And left alone, will yodo that can be heard for a mile....

• @debradownsouth It's like you don't think about what you write.... I state that my "Local Animal Shelters do not post on Petfinder, they post on PetHarbor"... and you twist it around trying to claim -- wait, what is your point here? You're all over the place. Little of what you say makes any sense at all, except your attempts to appear educated. Exactly what was it about a link to PetHarbor that got you so excited in the first place?

• Is it time to make popcorn? šŸ˜‰

• Really!) it kind of getting into an argument and is kind of discouraging to even try to look further...
    I had dogs for 35 years of my life, 16 years with Shar Pei, now Border Collie- not the easiests breeds to handle, just to mention a few... but so far we were doing just fine. Iā€™ll keep looking and we are opened to some different breeds as well.

• @reddie It seems to be the way of the world these days, even affecting the Basenji forum lol. Basenjis are very strong willed and they do say owners resemble their dogs! So a clash of opinions is inevitable.

Basenjis are hard to explain, I had a border collie years ago but he was a lot more dog like than a basenji. Generally, Basenjis are a love hate thing, either people think you must be crazy to own one, or they wouldnā€™t own anything else. They are incredibly intelligent and will outsmart you even when you are aware they are outsmarting you lol. Hence the saying that to live with a basenjis, you need to be at least half as smart as the dog. Sometimes you read what they are going to do next, so you head it off. Only for the dog to figure out that you figured them out and change their tactics, only to outsmart you again lol. Some people get mad at that and others laugh and admire the intelligence.

My girl passed away last November, I have only one boy now and itā€™s tough to adjust. I considered at first getting a shelter dog. After much thought, I realized that it just wouldnā€™t be the same. Once youā€™ve ā€œgone basenjiā€ I think itā€™s hard to go back. For me itā€™s impossible. Even as they drive you crazy, they burrow deeper and deeper into your mind and heart. Good luck if you decide to join the crazy club lol!

• I had a Border Collie for 15 years. He was a farm dog, not a house dog. I had Basenjis in the house. These breeds are polar opposites. A good Border Collie (and there are a lot of not so good ones out there) will do anything for you if they can figure out what you want. No treats required. My boy would work his heart out for me and be ecstatic if I praised him. He wasn't the slightest bit interested in food if there was work to be done. OTOH, my Basenjis were all about "what's in it for me?" If whatever I wanted wasn't interesting or rewarding to them they would ignore me if they could. They are endearing little charmers (and they know it!), but their attitude is more cat than dog. Smart, hell yes! Obedient, not so much. They are, however, up for a challenge, and if you can engage their minds they will surprise you with what they can learn.

• Well my BC was raised with Shar Pei so I donā€™t think thereā€™s much left of a BC in her, she is useful now as far as running around the yard and scaring all the birds like hawks and such and the duck hangs out with her, other than that she is a couch potato even more than my Shar Pei used to be, at 14 y.o I have a video of my Shar Pei hearding the ducks!)

@debradownsouth It's like you don't think about what you write.... I state that my "Local Animal Shelters do not post on Petfinder, they post on PetHarbor"... and you twist it around trying to claim -- wait, what is your point here? You're all over the place. Little of what you say makes any sense at all, except your attempts to appear educated. Exactly what was it about a link to PetHarbor that got you so excited in the first place?

I twisted nothing. I took all your misinformation and provided more accurate info. My point was to help anyone who took your post as factual from writing off Petfinder and possibly missing the perfect dog. To that, as usual, you become unhinged at me disagreeing and turn it into a personal attack. The only excited person has been you. It gets old.

You donā€™t know what every local animal shelter thinks. You claim that they
    ::consider Petfinder to be an unreliable, often outdated, source. ::
    Except the things you mention, only as good as the person inputting, etc seems a bit silly when PetHarbor takes listings from "shelter, SPCA, Humane Society, county or city Animal Control, and many private animal-welfare organizations" and individuals.. and honestly states ā€œPetHarbor make no assertions about the availability, behavior or condition of any animal.ā€
    Your demeaning comment about Petfinder helps "a drop in the bucket" when they list 315,000 pets.
    I didn't attack you. I didn't attack PetHarbor. I simply tried to show that your negativity about Petfinder is more about your personal views than actual facts. That a company listing 315,000 pets a year is a valid source. That people should use all available sources.

• @debradownsouth you are so exhausting. I did not attack Petfinder. I relayed what I was told by my local Animal Shelter. There was no "misinformation" requiring your clarification. There was no "negativity". Nor were there any perceived assumptions that websites are legally responsible for information contributed by the public. Get a grip, you are the only one spitting venom. I"m done with you.

@debradownsouth you are so exhausting. I did not attack Petfinder. I relayed what I was told by my local Animal Shelter. There was no "misinformation" requiring your clarification. There was no "negativity". Nor were there any perceived assumptions that websites are legally responsible for information contributed by the public. Get a grip, you are the only one spitting venom. I"m done with you.

Anyone wanting to scroll up can read your comments. As well as your misinformation and my clarification. You are the one saying Petfinders is outdated and unreliable, so I suspect even you comprehend my pointing out the same is true with Safeharbor. I have a grip. And I do it without "spitting venom" and personal attacks.

• @reddie said in Advice please if a Basenji might be a good match.:

Really!) it kind of getting into an argument and is kind of discouraging to even try to look further...
    I had dogs for 35 years of my life, 16 years with Shar Pei, now Border Collie- not the easiests breeds to handle, just to mention a few... but so far we were doing just fine. Iā€™ll keep looking and we are opened to some different breeds as well.

I never imagined myself with anything but BIG dogs, specifically Rottweilers and Chows. Then I got my first basenji for my daughter and I was hooked. THEN because of our very dog aggressive basenji, we ended up with a Samoyed. Totally hooked also. Every breed has it's gifts. I've found breeds I couldn't live with, but some that enchant me. I'm too old to start with a new breed, but I hope if there's reincarnation I get to own another 6 or so breeds.

LOL on Shar Pei. I'm so old I remember before DNA proved they were a distinct breed and Chow and Pei folk fought which breed the other came from... I was at Un. Penn vet hospital and a woman was there with a young Shar Pei. I asked her if they were as bad as I'd heard. She looked at my chow and said "Yes, about the same as Chows." And we both nodded knowingly and began to compare traits, look at each other's dogs' tongues. Dog people are a strange group. šŸ™‚

If you can handle Border Collies and Shar Peis, you'll be fine with basenjis.

• I Love Chows!) Pei are not that hard when you know how to deal with their specific health issues. They are awesome and very protective of the kids.
    In the last few days I am really considering getting some kind of Shepherd or Rotweiller.. itā€™s getting crazy here .. The bears mainly. I have videos.. not sure how to download them.. the bear showed up and Fozz, the Border Collie did her best to scare him away, as soon as he figured it out that thereā€™s the fence, he came back. My husband had to jump into his truck and I thought it would scare him away.. year right.. he literally had to drive his truck into the woods to chase him away.. took 3 attempts
    Next day I was at my daughterā€™s drama play at school the same bear climed over the fence and was going after a duck that was trying to hide on the porch underneath the table. Fozz and my husband scared him away but this time he didnā€™t came alone.. came with his mom.. twice the size, she didnā€™t do anything but was watching.. I was on the phone this morning and the darn thing the bear came back again.. I let Fozz out usually u tell her that thereā€™s a bad bear and she would at least bark.. nope.. was just standing next to the fence staring at the bear... for some reason he just walked away.. because there was nothing in the trash bin for him to eat, I guess.

• No dog is going to stop a bear, and attempts often end up with mangled or dead dogs. Some bears will run from ANY size of a dog barking, but they can quickly lose fear. I don't know where you live, but that bear and mom are a danger and some places will have wildlife authorities capture and relocate or euthanized. Sending a dog out to possibly be killed isn't an option I'd ever choose. Just having my Rotties bark provided serious security, but after the barking, it was my job to call the police or take measures to get rid of intruders.

A bear that isn't even that impressed with a truck will see any size of a dog as a chew toy. A pack of dogs is better, but really, call local wildlife and get help.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/2019/02/karelian-bear-dogs-keep-bears-away/

• We are in CT, surrounded by a game refuge... I would never let a dog outside if thereā€™s a bear in the yard that climed the fence and it literally never happened until now.. itā€™s just that darn cub..
    So the duck is at the mini farm now with a few friends, ducks and chicken, just got an update and pics this morning. I am so happy she is safe. I literally had to run on the porch in front of the darn bear yesterday, grab her, get her in, yell to my husband and son that he is in the back yard and the mom is next to the fence watching.
    Thank goodness for Fozz, she actually warned us that thereā€™s a bear in the back yard. We were all in the front yard and we saw it walking away and we were not sure where did it go because of the detached garage etc and iā€™ve heard her barking inside and run to check whatā€™s going on and the bear was literally in my face next to the porch...

• Karelian bear dogs, I think they had some kind of different name back there in Russia, some variety of Laika, my daughter really wants a husky and I really donā€™t want it!) Because I had a handler that used to show my Pei and a Dane and her mom is a show breeder, Husky's And she was telling me how hard it is, like she would get a Skiperkee or an Aussie or a Corgi... she moved away from her mom to NY, still a handler, showing dogs at Westminster.

• I did reported it today, apparently thereā€™s over 200 bear sightings in the area and they have some numbers to call, but it doesnā€™t sound like they can do that much.

• @reddie we don't have a pet menagerie like you do, but we did get 2 older dogs from Eldorado Basenjis. They spent time with us getting to know us and our situation, at the time we had a 14 1/2 y/o male who had just lost his sister and was simply lost. They did a fabulous job matching us with a former show dog who was 8, she's now 15 1/2. And when our male passed at 16, and I was inconsolable, I called them, and again they had the perfect match for us. They did their job, and very well, they take back their dogs if it doesn't work out, but part of their job is making sure that the right dog goes to the right home. Basenjis aren't easy, if they were, everyone would have them, but if you ARE a basenji person and you make THAT basenji connection, you're hooked for life! You have to have a sense of humor when owning a basenji, it's a must, just saying...

• Iā€™ve only heard good things about Eldorado Basenjis.
    I really donā€™t have a lot of pets any more, a dog, 3 cats and a parrot.

Suggested Topics