• 2_1545531367859_81A31155-BACC-494B-A1F4-F2FA4182EA48.jpeg 1_1545531367859_CF644209-2E93-43C2-9AD9-9764F76F1976.jpeg 0_1545531367845_C6125E99-02E3-4C6C-AA44-C57A80FBBE11.jpeg

I adopted this little guy end of October and was told Terrier/lab mix. After some research I believe I have a Jack Russell but not sure the other half. Our vet was thinking Basenji mix. He has a curl to his tail and is a “silent” dog. He has barked 3 times since we’ve owned him. Normally he has a whine or sometimes an odd noise. From what I’ve read he has a basenji personality but I could just have a very laid back quiet dog. Thanks!

• Other than his ears, he definitely has Basenji traits.

• The ears may still come up. He looks basenji-ish but a DNA test might give you better info.

Whatever he is, he's cute. 🙂

• @leelos Adorable Pup! Just be glad that he is healthy after wherever he had been. I see Basenji traits but if House Destruction starts then he is part Basenji....

• He may be, but DNA will tell. He SURE is adorable!!!! WHat's his name?

• He looks wonderful! From his face and coloring I would put my bet on jack russel x basenji - quite a mix!

• @nancyss
    His name is Bowser. My 9 & 7 year olds picked his name. He’s such an awesome dog this says a lot coming from a cat person!!!

• @antigone said in Is he part Basenji?:

@leelos Adorable Pup! Just be glad that he is healthy after wherever he had been. I see Basenji traits but if House Destruction starts then he is part Basenji....

oh my gosh! Speaking of 'house destruction', when my daughter and I moved, we had Stella probably only about 6-8 months.
    We had to leave her in the new apartment while we went to get something to eat. Well! when we came back the bottom of the screens on the windows were all torn, and she scratched the left AND the right bottom sides of the door! any window she could get to, the screens were torn. 😖
    In hindsight, we maybe shouldn't have left her alone, but we really had no choice.

• @katzmeow
    Crates are a good thing. 🙂

• @debradownsouth ~~~~
    I've heard crates are work great. She only behaved like that the day we moved; nothing like that since. Thank God!

• @katzmeow said in Is he part Basenji?:

@debradownsouth ~~~~
    I've heard crates are work great. She only behaved like that the day we moved; nothing like that since. Thank God!

Not unusual for a Basenji, or any dog, to suffer a bit of separation anxiety when left in a new place. When we moved from North Bay to Goodwood, back in the day, my two girls took a round out of the trim around the door leading to outside the first time we left them alone, never after that once they realized this was "home" now. Unless a dog has had extensive experience with novel surroundings it's unwise to trust too much, no matter how good they have been in the past. Show dogs are likely less prone to this problem if they have travelled a lot, but then most people crate them in hotel rooms.....

• Maybe he's a Basenji-Beagle mix?

• @layla

He sure is cute no matter what—but this Basenji website is really good and I have gotten really good advice and really good input from all the people and their dogs...

Suggested Topics