• Completely agree with Zande that "expressing the anal glands" causes problems. Might even go so far as to say "the more the more". Also agree that adding some fiber is a good first step. The easiest way I've found to accomplish this is to add some canned pumpkin to the food. Easy, not expensive, and the dog usually likes it.

• @h-castillo Sounds like something wrong, either diet or a medical problem. To give you an idea, my dogs have anal glands expressed about three times in eleven or twelve years. Usually because there is something else wrong. You should be careful as tumors can be a problem in the anal sacks, so best to get it checked out.

• @2baroos mine is so embarrassed too! She tries to clean it too! It started after she was fixed. I didn’t know that the gland could be removed. When her gland is cleaned by her groomer, the groomer says it is clean. So I don’t know why it would leak.

• @debradownsouth yes it is a dirty job, I have done it. I will add pumpkin to her diet. And will also tell groomer not to clean her gland.

• Thanks everyone

• Some are just like that I guess. Every few weeks we had to go to the Vet and get them drained and antibiotics.
    If it keeps up it may be something to consude4. We had Pet Insurance so it wasn’t too much.

• @h-castillo said in Anal leakage:

I will add pumpkin to her diet.

I provide "Bug" pumpkin with every meal as it keeps her 'regular'. Just a half teaspoon, a little seems to go a long way.
    I buy can(s) of "pure pumpkin" (not pumpkin pie mix) and drop teaspoonfuls onto a cookie sheet, then toss it in the freezer. After they are frozen, they all go into a zip lock bag. I take out a few days worth at a time and let it defrost in the refrigerator. One 15oz can will last quite a while.

• @elbrant
    Can you get "pure pumpkin" at a pet store? I'm going to try this with my new girl. She is four but was bred several times by her breeder. Not sure if this has anything to do with it but her anal glands seem to fill up much more quickly than my last few pups. She still scoots periodically although she is on a 1/4 tsp of Metamucil as recommended by her vet. Love your idea of freezing "dollops" then thawing them out as needed. Thanks for the info!

• @njdeb You purchase cans of pure pumpkin at the supermarket. If you live in the USA, since it is so close to Thanksgiving, you can purchase a case of canned pumpkin at Costco for a good discount.

• @senjisilly
    Thanks so much for the info (you can tell I don't do very much cooking. The microwave and frozen food are my friends) Will pop into my local grocery store and pick up some this weekend. Thanks again!!

Suggested Topics