Skip to content

Stop giving food if basenji seem like he is getting used to crate?

Moved Basenji Feeding
  • My 1 1/2 year male appears to be behaving better when we put him in the crate. We have been giving him a kong filled with kibbles and yogurt to ease separation anxiety. Should we start to give him less and less so it is not addictive and we are not reliant on using that to help keep him in the crate without too much pushback?

  • Why in the world would you change what is working?

  • I never crated Fred, or any of my dogs so I don’t have any experience...but If you have something that’s working, continue with it.

  • Agree you should keep doing what you're doing. The kibbles and yogurt in a kong are a great idea. This combo will keep a dog occupied for a while and they are usually ready for a nap after the hard work of getting a snack. :winking_face:

    In the context of observing that your dog is behaving better, It may be that your guy is just maturing. We've always been able to stop crating when the dog is about two years old. Seems like a magical age when they can be left alone and not be bored or disturbed or whatever. You can of course keep crating but you will likely have the option of not doing that shortly.

  • Someone told me, a long time ago, that with any other breed, food should not be used to get a desired behavior once it's learned. But with basenjis, it's ok to use food - all the time.
    My dogs are ok in a crate but to get them in it, I throw a couple of pieces of dry puppy food. I will be doing this as long as they live. It works!

    Keep up with the food - it works!

  • There's a consensus! I will continue as now. Thanks to all.

  • I occasionally throw a couple of treats in Binti's crate so when she comes by, the crate has magically provided food! She loves her crate now! Food works!

  • You can also FREEZE the kong. Makes it last much longer. :)

Suggested Topics

  • Raw Food

    Basenji Feeding
    2
    5 Votes
    2 Posts
    7k Views
    D
    Thanks for posting.
  • 0 Votes
    11 Posts
    14k Views
    Buddys PalB
    wow, read all through that facebook link you gave, so scary! thanks for the flag to be watched, definitely!
  • Dog Food

    Basenji Feeding
    10
    0 Votes
    10 Posts
    7k Views
    pennypenP
    @Ellusionz: I've just swapped my dog to Wellness Core. It's high in protein which I was told is really good for the basenji breed with how active they are. Also grain-free. But they say it shouldn't be fed to dogs younger than a year. They sell it at Petco. There's also the regular Wellness that Petsmart carries thats been rated just below the Core. I researched the ingredients in the brands on dogfoodchat.com I thought about going with a high protien …. i'll deff look into that for next time after this huge bag is done :)
  • Rotating food

    Basenji Feeding
    11
    0 Votes
    11 Posts
    6k Views
    KanangaK
    Kananga approves. :D Local pet store that I go to carries all of the frozen raw diets offered by Nature's Variety. It's nice to have a good selection to possibly rotate proteins. I thawed out 3 medallions and it only took Kananga 20-30 seconds to realize this was yummy food. He's a big fan of this but hopefully he'll still like his dry kibble. :)
  • When does a Basenji need "senior" food

    Basenji Feeding
    7
    0 Votes
    7 Posts
    5k Views
    nomrbddgsN
    IMO unless a dog has specific health problems, I've never given senior food. My old heeler/am esk mix is over 10 and she still gets what everyone else is on - Nutro for sensitive stomachs. She's still a PITA and wants to play all the time.
  • Food decision

    Basenji Feeding
    14
    0 Votes
    14 Posts
    10k Views
    luzmery928L
    i was so concerned about the recall when it first happened I took for granted checking the labels again.