Advice for potential first-time basenji owners

• OH MY GOODNESS! Congrats on the championship. How adorable!

• Happy update: Lincoln arrived home 3 days ago and seems to be adjusting well. He's a little timid in the city environment since he has not been exposed a lot of the loud noises. He's gradually getting used to getting affection from us and seeks out cuddles on the couch. I go back to work tomorrow and am so nervous about leaving him alone (I think I have separation anxiety myself, LOL)...

• Will you be able to come home mid day to check on him? I'm sure he'll be fine, though. We expect more pictures!

• @DebraDownSouth I'm coming home for my lunch hour each day. We just moved to a new apartment very close to my work - so that I can give him enough exercise during the workday. I'll post some more photos!!!

0_1504558439428_Cave Bed 9-2-17.JPG 0_1504558461571_Welcome Home cake 9-2-17.JPG

• What a cutie. He seems really settled in!

• First Basenji's

I found this entire thread very informative as i am planning to get one soon. Particularly info on breeders and tips on adjusting. So greatful to see people helping each other in this regard.

• The forum isn't positive to backyard breeders, puppymills, and those who support them. For people wanting to learn and do it right (Ie get from responsible breeder or rescue), we'll do handstands to help. 🙂

• Congrats on your new boy, he is gorgeous! Our boy Cafu (2 year old) is also from Marjani! (we picked him up from Julie when he was 12 weeks old). Some advice on dog parks: After Cafu became 1 year old, he started to occasionally show or receive aggressive behavior from big dogs in dog parks. I could not believe it when he attacked a pit bull 5 times his size! another time he was attacked by a german shepherd, and I was very concerned that he was going to get seriously hurt. He is a very sweet, friendly dog, so I was shocked. I only take him now to dog parks that limit areas by size. If he stays in the "under 25 lb" area, there are usually no problems. Another issue is the dog potentially running away. I don't trust giving Cafu to walkers, unless they are very familiar with him. He can outsmart them, and if he is really interested in running away, he can find a way to cut his leash. Also, I recently placed a GPS tracker on him (see my post on this), in case we lose him. I feel much better knowing that we can easily locate him if needed.

• @Cafu That's awesome you also have a Marjani boy! Are you located in the DC area? Do you know which of Julie's dogs are his parents? My boy is from Penny and Fubu.

Lincoln will be 2 in February and hasn't shown any aggression in the dog park (but he is closely monitored). He doesn't seem to have many of the typical basenji traits, which we were not expecting. He has a dog walker that he loves and goes to daycare with her once a week. He is a very sweet, sensitive, and cuddly boy. I really think Julie does a great job of breeding for temperament, because Lincoln has the best personality!

• @Cafu LOL on cutting leash.. I am certain they have retractable scissors in their gums. I have had mine cut leashes and cut straps to clothing that were so smooth, nothing else but scissors explains it (okay or razor blades). Which is why I put these on the collars... snap/ o ring, chain, o ring, leash

0_1508253208837_Leash.jpg

Suggested Topics