Breeding my 2 year old Basenji

• ![0_1477285156030_20160818_234011.jpg](Uploading 100%)

Hello everyone,

I am new to this concept and wanted to get some information and options.

I have a 2 year old unaltered purebred basenji "Xavier". He has great bloodlines and fits the AKC standard very well. I am not looking to make this into a business but I would like to have the opportunity to breed him since he does have good bloodlines.

Is there somewhere that I would go to stud him? or would I have a better chance if I purchased a female and just allowed them to naturally breed when they choose to?

I am sure this will turn into some controversy, but I would like any and all opinions that are offered. I am an avid basenji lover and would hate to see his bloodline fizzle out without at least trying first..

• What is his pedigree? Has he been shown? Have you discussed this with his breeder? Is all the health testing done? These are just for start questions.

• Who is his breeder. To be blunt, a responsible breeder, with bloodlines worth keeping, would have placed him with a contract forbidding you from breeding him unless you met certain criteria-- typically so many show points or (usually) a championship title; all required health testing such as thyroid, heart, Fanconi if parents weren't tested (which would really not the be case of a responsible breeder), elbows, hips and eyes. IF you got your dog from such a breeder, your dog is probably on a limited registration-- which means you are breaking contract to breed him, and that the puppies cannot be registered.

We all love our pets, but few need to be bred. What if your boy carriers terrible genes that could result in puppies who have horrible health problems? Do you want to do that to them, or to the people who take and love them-- trusting YOU to have been responsible? Unless you have done all the health testing, and unless the sire and dam of your dog have health testing, you don't know what your dog may pass on.

If your breeder is responsible, and you simply misunderstood the contract, the contact the breeder about evaluating, showing and health testing him. If the breeder refuses to change the registration, discuss getting a related dog if you want, or post the parents registered name and perhaps someone has knowledge of related puppies.

If your dog is from a backyard breeder, I can assure you of 2 things. First, no responsible breeder would ever want to breed to your dog. Second, you don't need to be concerned about a loss of his "bloodline" fizzling out. Enjoy your wonderful pet, take a few years learning about pedigrees, bloodlines, genetics, health and find a mentor to help you if you seriously want to breed. But if it's just to get puppies from your pet, please do the breed a favor and do not become an irresponsible breeder.

• I agree strongly with everything Debra has said above. Every word of it!
    To add to it...If your dog did come from a responsible breeder, has been tested, etc then they would be the ones to contact. They would know your dogs pedigree best and may even have a bitch that would be a good match for him. I know that if I were to breed my boys their breeder would have to approve any bitch I were to use. It's in their (understandably and necessary) lengthy contract.

Not every dog, even with a good pedigree, should be bred.

• Banned

I know this is a old topic, but I had the same question and was amazed at the negativity in the responses I received. I have 2 rescues, a male purebred and a female who was a mix. I was not interested in doing it for money, just that I loved the way these 2 interacted with each other and since they were older my wide and I are older, I wanted off spring from these 2. We had 6 and they are beautiful mixed breed 90% Basenji. We had them all tested, initial shots and spent a ton of money on the best of everything until they were 8 to 10 weeks old. We vetted the 4 people we sold them to extensively. From that litter we started the Florida Basenji Owners group and we all stay in touch and have 30 members now. So while most don't agree, it was very rewarding experience. Ford the record the father and mother were rescued and I have rescued over 7 dogs in my lifetime, so I felt I have done my part on the rescue side of things. The people who have my pups love them and people who meet them, love them as well and are trying to encourage us to have another litter, but we plan on having the female fixed, it was a once in a lifetime experience for us, and we have enjoyed every moment, except the negative comments, but that is the internet for you.

• I am sorry but you risked your bitch life, you created more dogs when they rescues are overwhelming and dying by the millions for no reason other than YOU wanted the experience. Negative? You bet your boots I am negative. You had no, zero, zip, nada idea what genetic nightmares you could have produced. You didn't give a flying fig is you produced puppies that went on to suffer agony, or break the hearts of their owners because instead of being a RESPONSIBLE owner and neutering them, adopting more if you wanted more pets.. YOU chose to roll the dice and breed them. That is selfish and irresponsible and just because you lucked out with them not being sick doesn't mean what you did deserves an applause. Twenty years ago, people didn't have the internet, did things without guidance and they had excuses. You admit you asked and you didn't care. You just wanted what you wanted no matter what. So you rescued 7 dogs? Big deal. You CREATED 6. Did you demand those are neutered or are they going on to make even more? The "once" backyard breeders are responsible for far more animals than puppymills, just for the record. I have rescued, transported or fostered over 100 dogs, doesn't mean I have the right to breed dogs just because I want to. Even with generations of testing, horrible things happen. But those breeders can look in the mirror and in their hearts and know they DID THEIR BEST! You cannot. What you see as "negativity" is people truly loving and caring about dogs. You can do what you want, but don't expect anyone who truly is responsible to pat you on the back for it.

• Banned

Well let's start at the top... no one asked for your opinion, I did not risk my pet's life, and the proof of it, she is alive and well .....and has always had a clean bill of health from the Vet, and I might add, the vet warned me about people like you, and said most have no idea what they are talking about, they read a few articles and they then have a MD license in pet breeding.

As I have said, I have rescued my fair share of dogs over my lifetime and you unconstructive comments should be directed to those who have caused the shelters to be filled to the brim. I did not cause it, nor did I contribute to it, in any way shape or form. I wanted a litter, and one that I knew everything about, from the parents to the new owners.

No genetic nightmares here, so another misdirected unwanted comment by you.

I didn't neuter my kids, and I consider my Basenjis as family as well, plain and simple and it is my choice whether or do or I dont, your opinion surely is not going to make me do anything 1 way or another.

There is no law requiring to neuter them, it's a choice, and I am pretty sure I live in America still. Just because I am not a vegan, and I choose to eat meat, or I don't smoke, (I have never smoked )...its my right not too nor because I decided to have 2 real human children and not cut my ba!!$ off, and you might be all of those who wags a finger at all that, that's your right to do as you please, without my comments as it is my right as well.

I love your comment, "so you rescued 7 dogs big deal" so is it good or bad to rescue dogs?, or I guess those 7 lives did not matter to you??, but the 4 puppies of the litter of 6 all of sudden, makes a difference to you, because I did not rescue those 4? you can't talk out of both sides of your mouth.

So you have rescued 100 dogs, good for you, but yes you can have a litter anytime you want. You really should try it, it is truly a wonderful experience

.Lastly I have gotten more positive feedback than negative on this issue, so you are in the minority and your point of view is so far off base, but it really does not matter to me.

My very last comment on this matter is this. I raised 2 wonderful boys around the rescues we had as a family. Soo good in fact, that my Air Force veteran son, has successfully started a rescue and it is in fact a 501 non profit on 10 acres in Texas, mostly rescuing pitbulls, because of the bad rap they have in his eyes.

So the my family continues to do its part to help with this issue, one that we did not create and those who do backyard breeding as a business, or the puppy mills is where you need to wag your finger, I had 1 liter and 1 liter only and I encourage everyone to do it once in your lifetime, it is so rewarding.0_1482721304518_resized.jpg

• This post is deleted!

• I agree that you absolutely have your right to breed your dogs (I personally wouldn't have)....the only contribution I can add is that I would refrain from encouraging "everyone" to have at least one litter...we truly do have an epidemic in the states and the idea of perpetuating it is unsavory and in my opinion (my opinion)...an irresponsible thing to suggest. Glad everything worked out in your situation and you developed lasting relationship ships with your pups owners. @katoman

• Banned

Your right, but the attempt to stopping everyone from breeding, is obviously not working. There might be a approach to showing how to responsibly breed animals, because it appears people will do it regardless. I did my homework, I vetting the 4 I sold, very very picky and had them sign contracts...so I am confident, there is another way, but her wagging her finger at me, is more of a problem, as well , because then people go underground

• Banned

@DebraDownSouth Stay out of my business. You must not have a job, so please get on.......call my Vet..... why would I lie about that and why would allow a crazy person to chastise a good vet, just because you dont agree with a comment......zeez

• This post is deleted!

• @katoman said in Breeding my 2 year old Basenji:

@DebraDownSouth Stay out of my business. You must not have a job, so please get on.......call my Vet..... why would I lie about that and why would allow a crazy person to chastise a good vet, just because you dont agree with a comment......zeez

You can always tell when someone is so mad spittle is spraying the screen... they start calling names and insults. Discussing irresponsible breeding is one thing. Your above attempt at what? Insult? Is pathetic. You are on a public board. You tell your business so it's rather funny to tell me to stay out of it. Please, try to stop frothing. No matter how many juvenile insults, it won't make you a responsible breeder. No matter how many screams about YOUR BUSINESS, it is still sadly obvious that you are the one here telling your business and admitting you asked advise before... and throwing a tantrum because you didn't get the response you wanted. Again, don't want opinions? Keep your business private. No one needed to know about your family jewels or your backyard breeding. You spew stuff, you get responses. If you can't handle it, move on. Otherwise, stop crying over negativity when responsible people consider irresponsible breeding to be a bad thing.

As for people WANTING to breed responsibly, most folks will help. You didn't want info on breeding responsibly. That would have required you neuter your pets, seek out a well bred dog with good health testing for several generations, finding a mentor, and doing it responsibly. It would require that you are within spitting distance of comprehending genetics and the importance it plays in health. What you wanted was people to say, ah how sweet you want puppies from your mixed breed and no-info-on-background pet. You didn't get it, and seemingly years later still crying.

At this point, will let you keep digging that low ditch with your personal insults. It's a shame someone starts a thread and you hi-jack it for your own ranting whine. THAT person may actually want to learn how to do it right, unlike you. You truly aren't worth another typed word.

• Banned

thank you - finally you will move on. Please stick to you word and don't waste anymore time responding.

As far as hijacking the thread, I answered her question with my experience. Noticed she disappeared after your comment. Most people don't want to confront comments, simply because they get into a "trump like" conversation with someone who has no idea how to act in a public forum. FYI, she messaged me and thanked me for the comment.......

Well let's start at the top... no one asked for your opinion, I did not risk my pet's life, and the proof of it, she is alive and well .....and has always had a clean bill of health from the Vet, and I might add, the vet warned me about people like you, and said most have no idea what they are talking about, they read a few articles and they then have a MD license in pet breeding.

I want to see say something here, and I think it is something that anybody who is considering breeding their dog has to think about (and, probably, the majority do not). The world has more than enough dogs, so many that the shelters have to kill them, and for every puppy born, another dies in a shelter for lack of a home.
    -Joanne

• @katoman Ok ~ each person is entitled to an opinion ... doesn't mean that the opinion is right or wrong! It would be a very boring world if everyone had the same opinion about everything. The 4 pups that went to other homes, I'm guessing you still have contact with all of them & am wondering, did any of them breed using the pups? If so, why not post some pictures of them? Tell us what mix they are now! But the thread is titled "Breeding my 2 year old Basenji" which has nothing to do with your male genitalia so please, stop with your genitalia comments! Thank You!

• Banned

This post is deleted!

@Nancy-Berry there is nothing that mentions genitalia, you might be confusing the work genetic -OMG this is hilarious.

You maybe were not awake or fully in control of your faculties, so you might want to reread your own post

There is no law requiring to neuter them, it's a choice, and I am pretty sure I live in America still. Just because I am not a vegan, and I choose to eat meat, or I don't smoke, (I have never smoked )...its my right not too nor because I decided to have 2 real human children and not cut my ba!!$ off, and you might be all of those who wags a finger at all that, that's your right to do as you please, without my comments as it is my right as well.<<

"not cut my .... off" .... genitalia there, not genetic. LOL. Yes it is hilarious.

• @DebraDownSouth I'm glad someone else knows what genitalia means! He said it....no getting around it!! And besides.....who cares if he does or doesn't cut his b...$ off? Not me! He's getting so angry, he can't even talk right!! That's bad for the blood pressure!!

• @katoman Well woop dee doo! Your son was in the military! So was I ~ along with thousands of others! I'm glad he's helping with Pit Bulls...they are terriers but people forget that last word. And idiots make money off of fighting them which is disgusting!

Suggested Topics