Our 'nannydog', the firm but loving den mother to a parade of homeless & frightened basenjis & sibes, has advanced tumours on her spleen and liver–possibly elsewhere. The vet was kind but blunt: this can't be fixed. I'm not into prolonging Ki's misery to hold onto her a few weeks or months more.
My question, if anyone's dealt with this aggressive type of tumor, is what to expect? The vet says the tumour could ruptue at any time and she could simply bleed out: grow weak, lose conciousness and pass quietly and painlessly. Or NOT.
My husband is currently out of town training for an overseas tour and won't be back for 2 weeks. She adores him and each time he leaves, he promises he'll come back for her. And she sleeps by the window, waiting for his truck the whole time he's gone.
I don't know what to do. I don't want her to suffer, but I want her favorite human with her when the vet helps her cross the bridge. And this close to a tour, I have to think about my husband's feelings. I've tried to contact him, but they'll only put me through if it's an 'emergency' and apparently dogs don't count as 'family'!