Bad day at the dog park :(

• I have a question regarding the attention exercise. Forst let me congratulate you Tayda on working with your dog and getting some positive response. My B dosen't seem to pay much attention when I call him unless it's what he wants so I was hoping to start to work on that as you have done. Do you show your B his treats when you call him to get his attention or does he get his treats when he comes just for calling him? Also can I use a word like "face" to work on the training so he looks at me?

• Wow…what great adivse...I haven't taken Jojo to a dog park yet and the biggest reason is what is being discussed here...I am afraid she will fight or be agressive...I have only had her for three months and she is 11 yr (adopted from BRAT) so I don't know her "history" that well. I am learning from this thread...

• I work on attention as an extension of Name Response. I start by calling the dog's name if it moves to look at me, I click and treat. If they do not make any move toward you or look at you then wait 10 seconds before saying their name again. As they consistently respond to their name start raising the bar for the click so not just looking at you but must be moving towards you to earn the click. Pretty quickly you get a dog that is sitting in front of you and looking at you waiting for you then you can start to click for eye contact.

I reward attention frequently. When I am in class and the instructor is giving instructions I am rewarding my dog for Attention. When we are waiting our turn in agility I reward Attention. The more you reward it the more it is offered. My basenjis have better Attention than the border collie in our agility class because I have worked on it so much.

• Can I do click training and have a private trainier at the same time teaching different things? Can I also learn the click method on my own?

• Yes, you can use clicker training while using other training methods. The purpose of the clicker is to mark good behavior. If you do not want to use a clicker you can use "good dog" but a click since it is a short sound gives the dog a more precise idea of what it is doing right. What method is your trainer using?

You can learn clicker training on your own. Name response is the first thing that I work with my dogs on using the clicker. My instructor does not have the dogs warm up to the clicker instead we just start by saying their name and when they start to look over click and offer the treat. Within 10 clicks or so they realize a click means a treat is coming.

In agility, I sometimes find I am not coordinated enough to deal with the clicker, the treat, and the footwork required so I may just use a "good dog" but they know a treat is coming.

• @lvoss:

Yes, you can use clicker training while using other training methods. The purpose of the clicker is to mark good behavior. If you do not want to use a clicker you can use "good dog" but a click since it is a short sound gives the dog a more precise idea of what it is doing right. What method is your trainer using?

We had our first puppy kindergarten class last Thursday and the instructor introduced the clicker but said if we used it we had to have it with us ALL the time so I opted to use the word 'Yes' to mark her good behavior instead. It works well, but you are saying I could use both the clicker and the word 'yes' to mark her good behavior without difficulty? I like the clicker idea so i would like to use it as well if both will work.

• Yes, you can use both. Once your dog understands the clicker, start pairing the click and the word together "click, yes" treat.

I always use a clicker when shaping/training a new behavior. But use the word "yes" or "good" when asking for behaviors that the dogs already know. The click is nice for teaching new behaviors becase it is so clear, and the timing is precise. In my case, my dogs know we are learning something new when the clicker comes out,so they are more attentive.

• My experience is pretty much the same as Andrea's. I use the clicker when training new behaviors or polishing a behavior. I use "good" when we are actually out and about and I ask for a behavior they already know.

• Fantastic! We have class tomorrow night and I will get a clicker and start working with it. She is so smart and fun to train. Thanks

• Great, thanks for the clicker advise. I think I will look For the clicker at the pet store this weekend. I'm thinking of using it also at agility class since this weekend while we waiting for our turn he was just EVERYWHERE. I should also take him for a long run beforehand to tire him out and get some focus out of him. The trainer uses treats to train but I like the idea of the clicker also for grabbing his attention.

• @Barklessdog:

This is why I dont go_

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3YihpHn4Wg

I agree…that little B is running those dogs all over the place. He is lucky they are all very tolerant dogs, because a more assertive dog would have fought him.

• Over the years I just learned not to put your dog in ANY potentially bad situation. You have to figure the worst will happen & hope for the best. Nothing can happen if you don't do foolish things.

You have to treat them like a tame wild animal, like a pet badger

You going to trust your badger how far?

• OMG… that is too cute...

• <>
    As I said very, very often at the zoo....wild animals in captivity 😉
    Love the pic!

• @Barklessdog:

Over the years I just learned not to put your dog in ANY potentially bad situation. You have to figure the worst will happen & hope for the best. Nothing can happen if you don't do foolish things.

My concern is not ME doing foolish things, but the OTHER GUY doing foolish things that will affect me and my dogs.

It is my lack of faith in other people/dogs that keeps me from taking my dog to the dog park.
    {Well, and the fact that Jazzy is such a bitch. 😉 }

My vet is no advocate of off-leash dog parks, nor the fact that people take their dogs into PetSmart/PetCo. He says I'd be surprised to see how many dogs he deals with that come in with injuries from fights at all those places.
    And it's usually because one of the dog owners was oblivious.

• I couldn't agree more. I do go to the parks often but we scope them out carefully first. My biggest issue is people allowing their dog to approach Dash on leash. I repeat-he's aggressive, he bites and they are just oblivious.

• I agree…especially the pet store :eek: With all the food around & doggy items there's no wonder there aren't more accidents at these stores.

I've got serious allergies to pet dander so it makes going shopping a real PIA! And don't get me started on off leash dog parks...I just don't trust a lot of owners.

• …The dog park has been great practice towards the dog beach! The past couple of times we have been to the dog beach have been amazing. My boy is now brave enough to get his feet wet all on his own!
    Has anyone else experienced the dog beach?;-)

• Our tri loves to sit on the end of our kayak on a lake we go to (supervised with someone close if he falls in the shallow water). He used to sit on a raft in our kiddie pool. He goes in the water of our pond to a certain depth. We ended up not encouraging his tolerance of water because he would get water in his ears and get ear infections.

Suggested Topics