Skip to content

Bad dogs

Basenji Talk
  • Bad dog #1
    We got a 6 ft privacy fence installed in March, we have never had a problem with the Nexa or Leo trying to dig under or jump over the fence. Yesterday 2 dogs went behind the shed chasing a squirrel and only 1 came out. I went and got Nexa, amazed that she made it over the top of the fence. Not two minutes after we are back inside the fence Nexa jumps the fence again! Of course this time she runs to the neighbor a few houses down with the perfect landscaping and starts eating their flowers.

    Bad dog #2
    Leo grabbed a sock out of my closet this morning and as he is running away to destroy it he swallows the whole thing. We get out the hydrogen peroxide because I'm not thinking socks will NOT digest. After the sock successfully comes up, Leo grabs the end of it and my wife and I are playing tug of war with a vomit covered sock…we won. :mad: At least we avoided the emergency vet.

  • I beginning to think the only thing that will contain a Basenji is an underground bunker. Then again they might dig there way through the concrete. Gosh what makes these pups so determined to get on the other side?

    Glad Leo came through the sock ordeal ok. Maybe you need baby locks on all your draws ;)

  • Lol…sorry to laugh but I was walking Indy the other day and for some strange reason there was a pair of socks in the middle of the side walk. Needless to say he saw it before I did. He raced up to it grabbed them and was starting his best show dog prance by the time I saw him.

Suggested Topics

  • Dogs diedfrom dog treats

    Basenji Talk
    3
    0 Votes
    3 Posts
    3k Views
    D
    If the dogs are having similar symptoms as in the previous years, they need to be treated ASAP! It is my understanding that many are developing the acquired Fanconi Syndrome and need to be put on the protocol. Many vets though do not have the equipment to do the venous blood gas test and get an accurate diagnosis. Emergency vets should have the equipment. Do not buy any dog treats that come from China and if the package does not state where it is from then do not buy it! Jennifer
  • Travelling with a dog?

    Basenji Talk
    11
    0 Votes
    11 Posts
    10k Views
    D
    If you ship him underneath in cargo, don't forget there are temperature restrictions. Where would you transfer planes at? This summer has been hot in many cities! Please check the requirements for the airline you will be traveling on. There is usually a limit to the number of dogs allowed on board and in cargo. You will need to make a reservation for him at the time you make your own. There may be additional requirements since you are coming from Canada, you will need to check with the USDA, the CDC and the State of Massachusetts. You can find the requirements on the USDA website and it has links to each state. http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_welfare/pet_travel/pet_travel.shtml You need to make sure the carrier will fit under the seat so if the carrier you are considering is much larger than the large size Sherpa brand bag I doubt it will fit under the seat. I used to travel with Arnie onboard about 10 years ago before 9/11. I trained him to get in and out of the Sherpa bag and to stay in for short periods of time. He almost always laid down in it. He never made noise even when we were in first class and they served food! Most people did not even know I had a dog. I also made sure I was comfortable carrying him in the bag. I figured if the airline employees thought I was struggling with him then he was too heavy and he would not be let on the plane. He was an older pup but weighed about 18-20 lbs. Jennifer
  • Dogs in the carcass

    Basenji Talk
    2
    0 Votes
    2 Posts
    3k Views
    DebraDownSouthD
    LOL under basenji talk: http://www.basenjiforums.com/showthread.php?t=10926
  • Does your dog do this?

    Basenji Talk
    8
    0 Votes
    8 Posts
    6k Views
    Rita JeanR
    Jaycee digs same way but she does somersaults head down over she gos first time neighbor saw it they could not beleive it. I think neighbor came over every day for a week waiting to see it again and Jaycee would do it. Yes I very much second that digging usually will cause the great B-500. Rita Jean
  • Dog Attack- What to do?

    Basenji Talk
    12
    0 Votes
    12 Posts
    6k Views
    DiegosMomD
    Thanks for the advice everyone! Picking them up would have probably worked in this situation because the other dog was small, but i couldn't think that fast as it was happening! but carrying some kind of spray sounds like a good idea, i am going to look for that at the pet store. Thanks again!
  • New dog???

    Basenji Talk
    5
    0 Votes
    5 Posts
    5k Views
    QuercusQ
    The only thing I would be concerned about with a Dachshund would be the possiblity of it having some back damage with the rough play of a basenji…or even trying to do the same acrobatics that Bs do. I have known some folks who had a lot of problems with disk and spine problems with Doxies...but I don't know if that is typical. Something to think about though...