• First Basenji's

So I am getting my first B soon. I have done an extreme amount of homework and my family thinks I have and problem because I have been super obsessive with it. Preparing for my Basenji has been great but I have been super anxious I just want her to be here already. Anyway to get to my question….

I have chosen the odd puppy from the bunch I originally wanted a brindle girl but when the pups were born I really fell for the black and white girl but she was immediately decided to be a "pet only" because she has too much white, while the rest of the litter will be determined at 8 weeks who is show and who will go. I am fine with her being unusual and not show quality because I relate to inner beauty more anyway and character. So I have been looking online for a long long time for Basenji's with unusual coloration or mismarkings especially on the face like she has to see what she may end up looking like. I am just curious regardless I will find out eventually but I was just curious. I just have not been able to find pretty much ANY pics of mismarked B's only one pic in what seems like in the whole world.

Also, if a puppy is mismarked does that make them less in price since they are not the "ideal" in coat coloration, again just curious! Not being cheap just curious!

• @vickayx:

I have chosen the odd puppy from the bunch I originally wanted a brindle girl but when the pups were born I really fell for the black and white girl but she was immediately decided to be a "pet only" because she has too much white

The AKC breed standard has no disqualifications but it does say this about color and markings, " The amount of white should never predominate over primary color." Many judges and Basenji show people will have a problem with her markings and this could hinder her success in the show ring.

I just have not been able to find pretty much ANY pics of mismarked B's only one pic in what seems like in the whole world.

There are plenty of Basenjis with excessive white. A few have earned their AKC championships but I think most breeders place them in pet homes. Most breeders only showcase their titled dogs on their websites and this may be the reason you don't see many photos.

Also, if a puppy is mismarked does that make them less in price since they are not the "ideal" in coat coloration, again just curious! Not being cheap just curious!

I never did understand why a breeder would charge different prices for puppies. They all receive the same amount of care and expense growing them up. My pups are all priced the same whether they are show-potential or not.

• There are just B's with more white than others. I don't consider them mismarked, but I wouldn't show them either. I've seen a lot of B's with a fair amount of white on them.

I also don't differentiate between 'show' puppies and pet homes regarding prices. They are all the same.

• She is adorable! Personally if I didn't get show dogs, I would opt for ones with unusual markings such as your girl.

I think Robyn is spot on - I think most of the unusually marked ones end up in pet homes…you might see pics as they are puppies on breeders websites, but not often after that. I do know of one boy that has been show that has a white strip down one of his shoulders and is nearly finished his championship (I think).

I also agree with Robyn that most breeders I know don't charge different prices for pets vs show potential, nor do they charge differently for odd markings. Robyn is right, the same sort of care and feeding goes into pet puppies as show puppies.

• Breeders are breeding for something they are looking for - but hey you can't go wrong with Eldorado ! Great dogs, great breeder. I have a Eldorado baby myself so we are all connected ; ) And I absolutely LOOOVE all the white on her face, she will look so unique and stunning as an adult.

• There are many Basenji Champions with more white that that puppy. Just depends on what the breeder feels is the better quality in the litter. Sometimes too much white distracts from the conformation of a show dog. Sometimes even the lack of white can distract from a show dog or give an illusion.
    I have never had a price difference, as already pointed out, they all cost the same to raise.

For example of a Basenji with lots of white and a show dog go to Sally's W pedigree site www.pedigrees.zandebasenjis.com and look up Ch C-Quests Last Laugh.

• For many years blacks were hard to finish period. I think you are getting a very nice puppy, and its great that you were able to get a price break.

• @lisastewart:

For many years blacks were hard to finish period. I think you are getting a very nice puppy, and its great that you were able to get a price break.

I don't think that she is getting a price break? I think she was asking if she should. And again IMO, that answer would be no…. Lots of white doesn't make her "non" show quality. Maybe just harder to finish

• @renaultf1:

Personally if I didn't get show dogs, I would opt for ones with unusual markings such as your girl.

I like unusual markings too and I wouldn't mind having one with "pinto" markings.

• Beautiful pup! I actually like the unusualness of her markings! That's usually what draws people at first. I think the most important thing you said was that you were drawn to her, and I'll bet she was drawn to you. That's the key. You got the right pup, and I'm certain she will be a real beauty as an adult. Most important, don't get hung up on the fact that she was immediately classified as Pet…again, you were drawn to her...that's what is important. 🙂 Enjoy your new B! I, like you, was very excited about the Basenji breed, and I've been obsessed for over 14 years waiting to get my first B. I now have a wonderful Trindle Boy. He's not what most people would like to see in a show ring, but he's an incredible companion...we go just about everywhere together, and love him bunches!

• What a beautiful little girl 🙂

Congratulations.

I too have a trindle boy and his breeder was considering showing him and decided against it for other reasons that had nothing to do with his coloring or conformation. So he is with me and he is amazing 🙂

Our breeder also does not charge a different price for different pups…they are all equal in her eyes 🙂

• Sorry double post…

• I thought that was Pam and Sheila's pups, I have a black an white boy from them from last years pups.they won't give a price break on their pups, and they shouldn't when you think about it. They all take the same amount of money and care. I love their dogs, my favorite is Reba who was their first breeding of the year… Hard to watch when I want a red and white female and they have a bunch this year.... One of her litters had 9 pups!!!! They must be super busy and ready for the season to be done! You picked a good breeder and I am sure that the white will fill in as she ages so keep that in mind...she will always have a lot of white but probably not as much as right now. Congratulations! The sire to your pup is related to my Oakley so were sort of relatives in a way... Can't wait for pictures!

• First Basenji's

Thanks for all the input everyone! Again, with the pricing I was just comparing different breeders and their pricings, it is not important to me I was just wondering why some people do what they do. Anyway since I got that squared away… it is nice to know she is not the only, sorta odd looking Basenji, because I was searching for pictures like crazy thinking to myself is she really that different from all the others? I was confused on the whole color issue because most of the breed books I got from the library had descriptions of B's not being able to show if they had too much white and in the wrong areas.. regardless I am not interested in showing right now anyway. In the future who knows.. I may get her a friend. However I would love to learn how to do it. Since I was a kid I loved to read about dogs and showing dogs and agility and service work. I would really like to have my B take part in some sort of activity being in luring or obedience ect... I still have allot of time before that comes but I will start to look into what will work for my family and the dog. I am wayyyy tooo excited about everything!

• First Basenji's

Also I am really happy with Eldorado they are really nice! But you are def right they are super, super, busy women. I feel bad sometimes I e-mail Pam which seems allot but who knows and I just do not want to be a bother when she has so much going on.. I am glad I have you guys to get my questions answered so I do not have to bombard her soooo much! I LOVE REBA she was soooo sooo sooo sweet! She was such a good mother dog and very friendly and loving. She was bonding with me allot, laying her head on my lap when I came to visit, and I also saw her puppies which were adorable!

• She's not Odd, different or mismatched… Looks like a perfectly good Basenji! She's not disqualified from showing but it changes the overall look an that can lead judges to not be able to see the overall look as it should be. If you ask Pam she will tell you last year she had smokey and judy which produced a litter with a lot of white but that was considered her most promising show matches. She repeated the breeding this year as the two of them seem to produce such beautiful pups

• ..and as someone already said, you can't go wrong with an Eldorado puppy.. I think she's a cutie; youre very lucky

• First Basenji's

Hahha ok I will discontinue saying odd and mismatched because you are right but its good to have some clarity. I will ask her about that though that is very interesting.

• First Basenji's

Oh I feel extremely lucky!

• We all look forward to updates and photos as your new b grows.

Suggested Topics