Having a little trouble with my two Basenjis

• @jdarc1:

@Debra, thanks for the info. All seems to be going well. A little growling and really only one or two outbursts over a treat. We just don't treat together anymore. I have an experienced basenji trainer coming in so we can better evaluate the two. I did post a pic of the two. Look at my avitar.

That is good.

However, 😞 I don't see an avatar, only a little blue box that says DEFAULT if you hover. You may need to resize it?

• Chealsie, they are far from the only breed. Chows hold grudges. Rottweilers not only hold grudges but they will totally gun for and wait for any opportunity once an issue begins. Many breeds hold grudges. And btw, to make it worse, while it is truly rare for male/female issues to arise with Rotties, chows are often opposite sex as well. 😞 The fortunate thing HERE is the younger one still has a small "puppy" window where the older may forgive stupidity.

• Just an update. Leeloo and Ruby are doing great. They love to wrestle, Go out in our yard and run around for hours if we let them. We had a trainer come in who has experience with Basenjis. She observed mostly the first day. She told us that Leeloo ( the older dog) is just correcting and claiming her space. She gave us a few tips and everything is great. The only problem is the training of Ruby. She is 7 months old and smart as can be, but she still has the occasional accident in the house. Other than that she is a great dog. Very lovable and cuddly, more so than Leeloo. Having a companion has helped Leeloo alot. She never was one to go out in in the yard and play. She always stayed near the deck and porch. Now with a companion they utilize the entire yard. She has opened up more and is having more fun. Thanks to all for the advice.

• A pic of Leeloo and Ruby, just hanging out
    attachment_p_153617_0_image-2.jpg
    attachment_p_153617_1_image.jpg

• They are darling! I am so glad things are working out better!

• For some reason, I found the boys easier to house train than the girls. My boys picked up things so well, while most of the girls have had accidents well after when they should have been totally trained.

• Great news that things are going well now.

• Oh, they are so cute! I'm happy to hear that they are getting along, too. 🙂 It takes time, of course.
    I'm a firm believer that their snarks and grunts are really a foreign language called basenjinese… and that they can communicate with each other. I'm sure your trainer is right in that your first girl is just laying down the law, and telling the little one what she can and cannot do!

Hugs and Roos-
    🙂

• i love happy endings. or is that happy beginings?

• jdarci1,where in NJ are you?
    I'm in NJ,and can help if you like.
    Also,who is the so called basenji trainer
    that's helping you?
    I've bred basenjis for 35 years and I know of
    no other" basenji trainer",besides myself.

Kathryn

Suggested Topics