• Christy, having owned a b that has bitten, I understand how you feel.
    I hope this b can find a home where he will stay. This society is very aware that dogs with a biting history, any biting history, will be expensive
    lawyer wise, if the law comes into in. I only hope good things for this boy.

• Christy, please try to understand. Long ago, many rescues took dogs such as Sid. We all know that dogs placed in the right home often can be rehabilitated. You have obviously done a great job.

But as both a breeder and rescuer, I have to object to your disagreeing with the previous owner. When a dog gives a single bite, even one, if you place that dog, you open yourself as an owner or rescue, up to serious legal issues. I have known two rescues shut down due to the expenses related to placing dogs with bite history. So from that viewpoint, you have to ask if you have a right to risk your family's finances or the rescue from helping so many animals, just to save one. Further, you have to ask if you have the right to RISK someone being severely bitten because you don't want to stand up and do what is a terribly hard choice, which is to put a dog to sleep. Ultimately, I cannot imagine placing a dog that has bitten several times. Sure, if the dog was hurt and bit, yes. But Sid has bitten from being startled. He has what we call a very low bite threshold. All it takes is ONE idiot visiting the home to do something stupid and get bitten.

Would I personally have ANY qualms about taking Sid? No, of course not. It is obvious that he has done well with your family and can be managed. Sadly, I can't risk him upsetting the balance between my 2 bitches. I honestly thought about it, just so you know.

And I am praying that the placement works out, but please, cover yourself with a full release of responsibility from any liability if he bites. It may not hold up in court, but if you include his bite history, it should help. It will be a rare home that takes an older dog who has such a history, so hopefully her connection to his line will help. Please let us know. And if she is anywhere near me in GA and needs any help, she can call on me– though it sounds like she is experienced and will be fine!

• Debra is right. You can lose you home, and your future incomes by placing a dog with a bite history. Its a fact in this country.
    I hope this ends well for all. I really do.

• @basenjilover11:

Andrea, Sid will never be put to sleep. If he is unable to find a forever home I will keep him and give him the best life I possibly can. Contacting BRAT seemed like a good option and considering his progress with me gives me faith that he will place just fine with a home with other dogs where he can be the happy dog he once was.

I am really glad to hear this 🙂 Let me know how things go with his possible adoption; I will help any way I can 🙂

• First Basenji's

Whatever happens, I'm rooting for Sid. I hope the greater B community can and will step up for this special guy. All this talk of risk and legal possibilities makes my stomach churn, because he sounds far from hopeless as the law would make him out to be.

• Thank you for your kind words of encouragement. I have high hopes for Sid as well. He has been chased around by 3 year old twins more than once now..tail pulled, ears grabbed, hugged, kissed and rattled around by them. If that was not my tell all for him than I don't know what is. Was I hesitant about them rattling him around? Of course I was, because of his age and because I had no idea how he would respond to children. But he was fine, he looked nervous of course but he always does. I am confident that whomever does decide to take him will be well aware of his bite history and well aware of how to handle dogs that may bite. He has never shown any aggression to guests in my home nor even in a crowd of people. He was recently at a graduation party that took place outside. I bring him everywhere and as long as its fenced I let him run and interact. Speaking of crowds, he has been to every family event, holiday event for the past 2 years with me. It's hard for me to even think he has a bite history because he has never shown any aggression other than those 2 instances within a month of us having him.

Well enough about biting..I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hoping GA pulls through! 🙂

• Oh Christy, sending mega prayers it works out. ((hugs))

• Christy - I hope that all will be well with Sid if the people concerned will take him. He sounds a very special dog. Without knowing the cause its difficult to say but if he bit when he was grabbed I must say that thoseare extenuating circumstances.

I obviously don't know his history but I feel that a knowledgeable Basenji owner could cope with him.

I pray for Sid.

• @basenjilover11:

Andrea, Sid will never be put to sleep. If he is unable to find a forever home I will keep him and give him the best life I possibly can. Contacting BRAT seemed like a good option and considering his progress with me gives me faith that he will place just fine with a home with other dogs where he can be the happy dog he once was.

Christy, I also admire your protective love of Sid…. it's easy to sit at home, read this forum, and give advice on what you should do... and sometimes, the advice I read on here sounds less like "advice" and sounds more and more like "orders".

You must do what YOU believe is right, for you, Sid, and (perhaps) his new home. You are being totally honest about Sid's history, and you are making sure the new owner's understand the theoretical risks.

(Compare that to my new Zeba's situation, where she was sold on Craig's List as if she was a perfect young dog......... Instead, I paid $$ for a non-potty trained, worm infested, flea bitten, scared AND scarred little girl. She was snarky and ready to bite any male, and over the last three weeks, little Zeba has blossomed wonderfully. She's almost completely trained.... still leary of some people, but with the help of the local PetsMart Hotel staff, Zeba is a totally different, HAPPY girl! They have patiently cared for Zeba during the day, and all of their staff knows of her leariness and use the proper caution. There's nothing better than waggly tails and beautiful roos at the end of a workday! 🙂 )

Hats off to you, Christy! 🙂

• Patty M - your story of Zeba can give everybody hope. You've obviously done wonders with her.

• BRAt decided not to place Sid 😞 I do wish that the sources that spoke with BRAT would speak with me so I know why his past is such a huge issue. In my eyes he is the sweetest dog and aside from biting within a week of having him I could never envision him hurting a fly. He deserves a good home with friends, now I am left to find that on my own. Thanks for all of your help and words of encouragement.

• Christie, have you contacted http://www.basenjirescue.us/
    They are out of Indianapolis, and not as well known as BRAT, but their rescue mission reads as follows:

Our Rescue Mission
    1. Assist with the placement of full-blooded Basenjis, Basenji-mixes, Shiba Inu
    2. Assign a Rescue Coordinator, who will evaluate the dog and screen prospective owners
    3. Provide foster care for the Basenji or Shiba Inu in need
    4. Provide medical care and socialization, as needed
    5. Assist with transport
    6. Provide follow-up information, support and advice
    7. Rehabilitate Basenji and Shiba with issues usually caused by people
    8. Special care and home for elder Basenji

If this isn't an option, I will try to help you, too. It's amazing how many people meet Zeba and Lola at the dog park and comment that they've been looking for basenjis…. I met a lady today at the dog park that was so happy to see them~ she hadn't seen basenjis for 20 years!

There is still hope!

• @basenjilover11:

BRAt decided not to place Sid 😞 I do wish that the sources that spoke with BRAT would speak with me so I know why his past is such a huge issue. In my eyes he is the sweetest dog and aside from biting within a week of having him I could never envision him hurting a fly. He deserves a good home with friends, now I am left to find that on my own. Thanks for all of your help and words of encouragement.

Christy, BRAT sent two notes to you explaining why we can not take Sid into rescue. His known history of biting would be a huge liability to us. Unfortunately we can't save every single basenji, especially one that has a bite history. I will not argue the point that you think his previous owners obviously just did not want him. Vickie is a very reputable person, and she did not feel that he was safely placeable. It is well known how much she loved all her dogs. She did the responsible thing when she made the decision to have him euthanized when she was not able to keep him due to health reasons after he bit her severely.

I am sorry that BRAT was unable to help you and Sid.

debbi j..

• @basenjilover11:

BRAt decided not to place Sid 😞 I do wish that the sources that spoke with BRAT would speak with me so I know why his past is such a huge issue. In my eyes he is the sweetest dog and aside from biting within a week of having him I could never envision him hurting a fly. He deserves a good home with friends, now I am left to find that on my own. Thanks for all of your help and words of encouragement.

Sources that spoke with BRAT? You posted his history here and surely you posted his full history on the application. That bite history, no matter how wonderful he has done since, is enough for most rescues not to touch. I am not the only one who tried to explain why. I take it from your comment they said because of the biting history, so I am not sure why you don't understand a rescue cannot risk massive law suits to save one dog. They help nearly 300 dogs a year and to risk everything for one dog simply makes no sense. Yours is not the first nor sadly the last dog posted here that a rescue can't take because of history.

I really don't know, personally, of any rescue that takes a dog with a bite history like Sid's. This isn't a dog who got really hurt and bit. This isn't a dog biting while being abused. He seems perfectly manageable, as seen by your family. Yet you admit it began with 2 bites. So you stress him putting in a new home and he bites. BRAT or any rescue is then liable and in this sadly sue-happy country, at risk of losing everything. Can you really truly fault a rescue for not wanting to risk helping thousands of dogs over time to take Sid? In reality, the vet that took him should be the one to help and assume liability.

• @Patty:

Christy, I also admire your protective love of Sid…. it's easy to sit at home, read this forum, and give advice on what you should do... and sometimes, the advice I read on here sounds less like "advice" and sounds more and more like "orders". )

Patty, please tell me where anyone here has given her orders or done anything but genuine hope that this dog finds a home? Or try to help her understand the liability with adopting out a dog with a bite history?

My heart breaks for this situation, but truly if she doesn't tell the truth and someone finds out, she can be sued (and hopefully she is far too honest than to do that!). And if she is upfront about the bites, added to his age, the likelihood of finding him a home simply is not very bright, especially through most rescues.

• @DebraDownSouth:

Patty, please tell me where anyone here has given her orders or done anything but genuine hope that this dog finds a home?

Debra, this is exactly what I am talking about…. enough said. I will NOT get into a quote war with you, as I have seen on other threads. I was writing to CHRISTIE... not to you, and yet I'm supposed to explain my statement to you???? This thread is to help Christie re-home Sid, correct? 😕

To others reading this string: I spent today at the dog park with two of my basenji girls, Lola and Zeba…. read all of my posts if you want our history, because it's out there. I've only had Lola for one year (home #4) and when I rescued her, there was a sincere note: Feed her 1/3 cup of food, 3 times a day at 6 am, 12 pm, and 5 pm (CENTRAL TIME)… little Lola was only 14 lbs! She wasn't potty trained, because apparently she was always confined to the tiled kitchen! :mad:
    We potty trained Lola.
    We plumped her up, and she is no longer Food Aggressive.
    In 10 words or less: We gave Lola the freedom to be a basenji. Fast forward to Sophie. Then Becca. And Zeba.
    It takes a BASENJI VILLAGE to raise these dogs.
    We are very blessed that our family has been "the village" for our rescued basenjis. But there's a dark deep secret: Miss Lola…. the well adjusted one that's been in our home for a year? Well.... she has BIT my son. AND my other son. And ME too. Why? Pick your reasons: the fact is, she did.....
    So, fast forward in time and pretend that circumstances dictate that I must re-home my Lola, also known as "Lolita, Senorita, Margarita May".... should I confess to these "situations"? Or do I let the new owners just take her, and have my fingers crossed behind my back? 😕

People are NOT perfect. 😞 Nor are Basenjis. :);)

I have never met Christie, but I can relate to the feeling that she has... where this creature called a basenji somehow enters your life and changes your perspective on EVERYTHING! With good conscience, she is speaking the truth as SHE sees Sid... and has seen Sid EVERYDAY for the last 2 years. THAT IS A LONG TIME!!!! Perhaps the conditions prior to Christie were "less than ideal"…. I don't know, nor is it fair to sling those people in the mud.
    _
    For the last 2 years, Mr. Sid has understood this thing called Life with Christie, and he has LOVED IT.:p He has been showered with love and affection, and has responded in kind with respect to humans, big and small._

• @basenjilover11:

Christie…I can't speak for BRAT...but as a dog professional, what worries me about Sid is that, even though he has only bitten three times (that I know of), the bites exhibited what we call a lack of inhibition....meaning, there was no warning, and the bites were deep and multiple. Dog bites can vary from an air-snap, where there is no contact, but the action of biting is made...to a muzzle punch where the muzzle contacts the skin in the action of 'biting'...on up to mauling. As far as I know, you are accurate that Sid RARELY bites...but the down side, is that when he does, he does a lot of damage. This was definitely the case with Vickie, and your partner. This doesn't make him a bad dog, and he may never, ever bite again...but a rescue organization really can't put themselves in the position of assuming that...and the vet who placed him with you shouldn't have put himself in that position, and he certainly should have told you the truth.

I know it is hard to be objective when you love him, and want the best for him. But the reality is that a good rescue would have a hard time justifying taking the risk of placing him.

I really hope you will re-evaluate your feeling that you need to rehome him for his happiness. I know you think he is depressed, but the fact that he hasn't shown any aggression in a long time, shows that he is comfortable..and it sounds like he leads a very rich life with you, even if you have to compromise on how much time you spend with him right now. I am pretty sure that if he could talk, he would tell you he wants to stay with you...you said that he chose to bond with you, instead of your partner....that tells you a lot 🙂

• @Patty:

Debra, this is exactly what I am talking about…. enough said. I will NOT get into a quote war with you, as I have seen on other threads. I was writing to CHRISTIE... not to you, and yet I'm supposed to explain my statement to you???? This thread is to help Christie re-home Sid, correct?

Nope, you said people give orders, indicating an attack on others here. SO it wasn't just TO her, it was ABOUT others. You don't want to explain, you don't have to, but if you make accusations, don't be shocked and outraged if someone calls on you to back it up. And usually, when people make comments they can't back up, what that means to ME is "I can't prove it, it's just how I FEEL so I'll call it fact and hope no one notices."

Yes Andrea, snarky and intended to be. That's how I respond to snark.

• @Patty:

…..
    So, fast forward in time and pretend that circumstances dictate that I must re-home my Lola, also known as "Lolita, Senorita, Margarita May".... should I confess to these "situations"? Or do I let the new owners just take her, and have my fingers crossed behind my back?

If you have one ounce of ethics, one iota of morals, one drop of care about being responsible, you tell the truth. Just my opinion.

• @Quercus:

I really hope you will re-evaluate your feeling that you need to rehome him for his happiness. I know you think he is depressed, but the fact that he hasn't shown any aggression in a long time, shows that he is comfortable..and it sounds like he leads a very rich life with you, even if you have to compromise on how much time you spend with him right now. I am pretty sure that if he could talk, he would tell you he wants to stay with you…you said that he chose to bond with you, instead of your partner....that tells you a lot 🙂

I am wondering if there are ways that we could help Sid stay in the home he is currently in. If Christine is willing to keep him, perhaps we could offer suggestions in enriching Sid's life where he is. Could you please share a typical day(week?) in Sid's life?

Suggested Topics