• @sinbaje:

Yes, Andrea. I know Vickie is not the breeder only the former owner. While I agree I would not want him switched around and personally feel if asked, he would want to stay with his current owner even with her 60 hour work schedule, I would also hope it is common courtesy (or should be) to contact the breeder and allow them to do the right thing (or sadly in some cases, not do the right thing), then go from there.

Agreed!!!!

• I am a bit confusedā€¦ did Vickie not contact the breeder before going to euthanize the dog? Reading before, I thought... some one with no dog skills had this dog and it bit. But we all know Vickie is extremely knowledgeable. I do wonder why the dog was aggressive and biting there, but okay now. I also have to agree that Sid would probably prefer to stay with his home. Some wonderful puzzle toys, a neighbor or friend to walk or come play with him a few days a week. It is very hard to find a home for an older dog. šŸ˜ž

• Vickie was in a car wreck.

• @sinbaje:

If Sid is who I think he is - his date of birth is 12/23/2001 - so he is coming up on 10 years of age at the end of the year - could explain why he seems young for "his age". :O)

I assume BRAT will be contacting the breeder, just to make sure they do not want to do the right thing, or can do the right thing.

Now that we finally know who actually bred this dog, we are contacting his breeder today. Due to privacy issues, I am not naming the breeder in this post.

debbi j.

• BTW, BRAT always contacts the breeder IF we know who the breeder is. Many years ago, before I came into BRAT, I understand that did not always happen and caused problems. Now we do contact them. Unfortunately the breeder may not always do the right thing.

debbi j.

• We just got a response from Sid's breeder - "I am not in a position to take Sid at this point. I am actively looking for a new home for him. I will let you know if I find anyone asap".

debbi j.

• Thank you for all of your input. If I thought for any reason that I was capable of giving Sid a good home I would never have placed him on BRAT nor inquired on here about him. I am aware that he is older, however a basenji lover is a basenji lover regardless of the age. I am not a basenji lover nor did I ever want to adopt Sid in the first place, it was my ex and for some reason Sid took to me instead of the ex. I am no longer with that ex and I got stuck with Sid. Because of the break up I have to work these 60 hour work weeks, Sid has no one to play with, no yard to run in and really just lays in his bed ALL OF THE TIME. I live in florida and I do not have neighbors, I live in a condo with worthless roommates whom never interact with Sid. He does not leave my room. This is very sad to me because he would be an interactive dog if other animals were present. It was to my knowledge that prior to adopting him he was around other basenjis all of the time, which is why I suggested he be placed in a home with other dogs. He is not the alpha dog, but his personality shows more when other dogs are present. He is older yes, but his health and good shape would never show that. I am starting law school soon and along with work and school there is absolutely no way I would be able to care for him. Plus I am moving again. Yes you may think he likes being here with me, but if you saw the depression I see in this dogs eyes you would be doing the exact same thing.

• @Quercus:

Just to clarify, Vickie is NOT Sid's breeder. This is a very complicated situation. I am not going to go into the details here, because they are not my details to go into. I have contacted Vickie about the situation, but I haven't spoken to her yet.

I think the important thing here is that Sid needs to go directly into a forever home..he won't do well with being switched from here to there. Hopefully Christy can keep him until a perfect situation arises for rehoming him.

I will definitely keep him until a good home arises, I have been actively asking around as well. It is hard because I am not from Florida nor do I really know anyone here. I will be moving back towards home soon but hope to place him before than.

• First Basenji's

Thanks for clarifying, for those who know the situation. It really does sound like a special situation. He is a handsome boy who looks like he has seen some wonderful years, and I'm sure there will be wonderful years ahead, with so many looking out for him.

• @debbi:

We just got a response from Sid's breeder - "I am not in a position to take Sid at this point. I am actively looking for a new home for him. I will let you know if I find anyone asap".

debbi j.

How interestingā€¦.. and note that almost anyone in the breed can figure out who the breeder is.

• BRAT does a good job, but its hard to get the public to take a dog that is considered "older". Sigh.

• BRAT has recently placed several older pairs. Sometimes just the right adopter learns about them and gives them a great home for the rest of their lives.

debbi j.

• In *this case it might be better if BRAT helps find this dog a home, especially because he can stay in his home until a new one is foundā€¦that way it doesn't overburden the foster homes. I believe that Sid will have to 'choose' his new people...he doesn't like everyone, and it takes a loooong time for him to trust someone. It would be a shame to have a breeder all the way across the country find a home for him, and then have him hate the new people once he gets there. It would be a greater loss, in my opinion, to have the breeder take the dog back, and then euthanize him because he has a bite history.

As we all know, euthanizing a dog for aggression is a very personal choice and there are many factors that go into that decision. No ethical breeder or rescue group takes that decision lightly. But different people draw the line of what is acceptable in different places.

• It is sad, but a dog with a bite issues probably should NOT be taken by any rescue, including BRAT. That this dog lived with a responsible knowledgeable breeder who made the decision to euthanize throws up flags I don't think anyone should ignore.

Is it at all possible that the vet who took full responsibility, or the ex-husband who wanted the dog, might be able to help? Sadly, dogs who bite rarely get more than one chance and since this one has not worked out, it doesn't look bright.

• This is why I hope that Debbi will contact me, and maybe even Vickie,so she can get a clear picture of what happened to cause this dog to bite, and the circumstances that led Vickie to decide to euthanize him.

Frankly, I am amazed that the vet put himself, the owners past, present and future, and the dog in this situation. And I am saddened to tell you that this is not the only time this vet has done this, he seems to think he knows the dog better than the ownersā€¦

Personally, I DO NOT want to see this dog euthanized, partly because I have known him most of his life, and partly because I believe that he could thrive in the right situation....and because I know first hand he can be sweet, sweet, sweet. And unfortunately because I already have two males who hate each other, I can't possibly add another one.

• We have already been in touch with Vickie, and we know what happened and why she and her husband made the decision to euthanize Sid. I know that it was a heart breaking decision for them.

I am also amazed by the vet's decision to place this dog.

Andrea, I'll be in touch with you soon. Is your email address in the roster correct?

debbi j.

• Yes, Debbiā€¦that one will work. I am so glad you were able to talk to Vickie about this.

• For all of you who know or have heard the story of this dog through the grapevine I appreciate your input. However I have had Sid for a little over 2 years now, I also have heard the story of why the previous owners chose to put him to sleep and I disagree with their decision completely. It is a shame he bite in the past and it is a shame that because he did that people think harshly about him. I can say this, in the 2 years that I have had him he has bite me and my ex one time only. The first time he got away from us and was running running for hours and when he finally came to the back door I grabbed at him and scared him and he bite me, he knew what he did was wrong. The second instant he bite my ex, he was using the bathroom, number 2 on the pavement and my ex pulled him by the collar to try to get him in the grass, he bite again. Aside from those 2 instances he has never showed ANY kind of aggression what so ever! He has been around children, crowds, other dogs, adults, you name it he has been there. He is a very good dog and he listens very well. He just disliked my ex for some apparent reason. He is actually more friendly with strangers than what someone listed above. He will let anyone pet him, he does not run, growl, etc. The only thing he does not like is when my cat jumps on his bed while he is sleeping, he snips because it probably scares him. However he has never sniped or snarled at me or anyone else for bothering him while sleeping, eating, walking, playing, etc.

Just so everyone gets this straight, I am not replacing Sid because I think he is a bad dog, I don't like him, etc. I am placing him because he deserves someone who can give him a good home and he deserves to be in a home with other dogs. He has been with dogs his whole entire life and now that he has been away from them I feel for the guy. That is the reason, that along with my hectic work schedule. So while I appreciate everyones concern about him biting, his previous owners decision, etc, whoever decides to give him a home will not be displeased. As long as they know how to act around a timid rescue dog, spoil him and give him whatever he wants I think whomever decides to take him will do just fine.

• Also I thought everyone might want to know that I had a call today inquiring about Sid. She lives in GA and has 3 older basenjis. She just recently lost Sid's grandmother over the rainbow bridge. She is older and very interested, she just has to speak with her husband and obviously meet Sid. Wish me luck and please if anyone has any questions about Sid and his present behavior feel free to ask. He has been by my side and I above anyone else feel that I am inclined to say what kind of dog he is and what he behavior is for me and for those around me.

• Andrea, Sid will never be put to sleep. If he is unable to find a forever home I will keep him and give him the best life I possibly can. Contacting BRAT seemed like a good option and considering his progress with me gives me faith that he will place just fine with a home with other dogs where he can be the happy dog he once was.

Suggested Topics