• Great insight, Linda.

I also need the right 'vibe' with the vet and their techs. If something feels wrong, time to find out why and move on. My current vet has great techs, my dogs go happily into 'the back' (vet leaves the door open so I can actually see and hear). They draw the blood, do the fecal exam, give the shots and clean the teeth with the ultrasound, all as part of the 'annual' exam, and I never hear a yelp so I am very comfortable.

• Linda, with you there. Fortunately my vets trust me, so even with xrays they have given me shielding vests and had me hold the rotties and chows. I am pretty sure they don't let many others (insurance.. lol of course it helps I am "spayed"), but for a few of mine, it was really the way to go, lol. As they came to know my dogs and my dogs them, they would ask and let me decide. Truly it depended on the vet. One of the vets I could hand my chows and my male rottie off to. The other vet was afraid and the dogs knew it so I held them. But I see so many owners get stressed and wig their dogs out.

• Thanks Linda, I do understand what you are saying. I am not the kind of owner who thinks they can control the animal better than the vet or tech or the kind of person who thinks they know better…my thing is knowing some of the little things as you had stated, such as, where the shot was given (IF given) and how my dog is treated.

I guess maybe the problem is mainly me. I have always had vets who did the routine things in front of you so I expect that to be the case. If you do things in the back away from owners eyes (I feel) maybe the techniques used are questionable. I have spoken to vet tech associates in the past who have told me all animal clinics are not created equal and say that some treat animals unfairly, in their opinion. This makes me cynical, perhaps.

Is it just me?😕

• @Walter:

Okay. But the next interaction I will have with this vet is her spaying, so even if I talk to them about it now it won't have any affect until next years boosters.

This is my current issue…so if I ask about it and they say fine they will do the injections in front of me (to put me at ease) and I fork over money for the spaying, come booster time they act like we didn't even have this conversation. I've given a vet I'm not pleased with money!

I know I may sound whiney but I love my B!

Have them make a note of the conversation in Scarlett's file, and WATCH THEM write this down. Then, come injection time, there won't be a fuss about this. I always think of something my sis said about asking for stuff - "You CAN'T be the first person who has asked for this". Thinking of this makes me feel a little more confident when I ask someone about something I would like.

• I always took my grumpy boy's own muzzle when we went to the vet, if he was having a bad day I insisted it be on him, I did not want any accidental biting happening to anyone. But most of the time he would just hide his head under my arm and the vets could do whatever was needed. He was a strictly one family dog, now waiting at the bridge for us.

• Walter, it's not just you!!!!

I live in Renton, by Valley Medical, and drive 30 minutes out of my way to go to my vet. I take both my bs to Wilderness Vet Clinic up in Maple Valley. They have 4 vets there so I don't have a strong relationship with any one of them but I trust them all. 2 men & 2 women. You could call them and ask them to recommend a vet down in Des Moines????

The only time they've had to take one of my bs in back was for a blood draw or when Hunter got a seed stuck way the heck down inside his ear canal. They even know that my female, Bandit, HATES to be crated and if she has to have a procedure done, they time the anesthesia just right so I know exactly when to come back and get her off one of the vet tech's laps!

You said you were being whiney but it's because you love your B. You might want to find a vet that loves your b too….

• Thank you Vicki…other than your Bs, do they have more experience working with our breed or are your Bs the only ones they see?

• I think my bs might be the only one's they see but they are knowledgeable about Fanconi, the breed itself, healthy weights, lifespan, etc.

I just know that when I walk in there, I am truly among people who love animals as much as I do.

I had to help my 16 year old redman cross the Rainbow Bridge last March and it was truly a peaceful experience. The vet was patient with me and told me exactly what was going to happen, etc. It was my decision and my decision only, I had no coersion either way. I truly felt like it was the ultimate gift to give to the best b in the world (don't tell my 2 bs at home that they aren't the best!) and that my vet(s) really care about me and my bs!

I guess you can ask yourself if you would recommend your vet to anyone? I know I can honestly say I absolutely would.

• Thank you everyone…I am making calls and checking different vets out, gonna do whats best for me and my B!

• Way to go Walter, it makes me so happy you are looking out for what's best for Scarlett. She deserves the best…oh yeah she got you guys!
    Good luck finding a new vet and if you find one you like let me know I can tuck that info away for anyone else that might need one in your area. Friends I have that live near you are also driving into Seattle for the most part.
    Hugs to Scarlett!
    Therese

• Thanks Therese…this vet thing has got me a little flustered. I will give Scarlett a big B hug from you, I'm sure she misses you and Kevin too.

Suggested Topics