Skip to content

Vet question

Basenji Health Issues & Questions
  • Yesterday was my puppy's first visit to the vet (with us). He is our first Basenji as well as our first experience with this Vet. Upon acquiring my basenji, I signed a contract with my breeder that stated he had to be neutered between 9-12 months. I told this to my vet and she said she disagreed with that and believed he should be neutered by six months because he could start marking and sometimes that that was irreversible. She also suggested to feed him a different food. My breeder recommended Taste of the Wild which is a more natural grain free food. The vet suggested a puppy food like science diet or Iams. I am not sure what to do or who to believe. I do not think my vet was familiar with Basenjis. She said this was the first one she had at her practice. Im not really sure what to do, any suggestions?

Suggested Topics

  • Two questions..

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    16
    0 Votes
    16 Posts
    17k Views
    Q
    Butu has shot up at least an inch since he was 5 months…
  • Vet needed

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    1
    0 Votes
    1 Posts
    3k Views
    No one has replied
  • How do I educate my vet?

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    11
    0 Votes
    11 Posts
    5k Views
    tanzaT
    @Benkura: His brother is my other boy 'Cahnce' who is Clear. It's just Chance & Trouper are chalk and cheese and both have good to offer the breed. I did wonder whether neutering him would be beneficial or not. Wasn't sure if it might induce too much stress. However, I would have to stop showing him if I did that and he already has 1 CC. I would not worry about doing it now… only something to consider "IF" he starts showing symptoms.... When Jaadii came down with Fanconi it was before the DNA test was available, so no one knew until he started spilling sugar. He was fine 11 months out of the year, but during Basenji breeding season he was a mess... and that was a lot of stress on him... So being neutered was not stressful, it was NOT being neutered that was. That said, not all dogs are alike... each are different... just putting in what we found with Jaadii....
  • Just a question…

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    16
    0 Votes
    16 Posts
    8k Views
    basenji_fanB
    @basi: This is what I liked about the German system and many other countries in europe, being that all dogs have to be tested before they can be bred from. @tanza: Is the DNA Fanconi test reconized as a required test in those countries in Europe that require pre-testing? And it is really no different here… most have or are testing, but there are still people that do not and still have their heads in the sand about testing... I wish that all testing was public knowledge like the Fanconi test.... like hips, eyes, etc... Following more in depth from Basi, she is also meaning that in Germany breeders will recieve VERY hefty fines for breeding without the proper testing and permissions from the breed club. They can have their kennel license (of sorts) revoked, be denied from entering shows and registering dogs of their breeding or from other breeders). A dog has to be of a certain age, and received a set amount of show awards before it can be entered into the breeding permissions exam. Then a actual show judge and member of the breed club evaluate the dogs to be entered into the stud books.
  • Question

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    23
    0 Votes
    23 Posts
    20k Views
    S
    Oh, I am sorry about the loss of your b to cars. Sadly, when they get out, the are often not car smart. Hugs.
  • Fanconi Question

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    5
    0 Votes
    5 Posts
    5k Views
    E
    Thank you for all the information. I am going to a dog show in Springfield, Illinois next weekend to meet some dogs from Meiterhaus (Tad Brooks). This makes me feel alot more comfortable. :D