• Chealsie, I'm so sorry you had such negative experiences with Basenji people. When we first started, we really felt 'on the outside,' and thought that people weren't very friendly to newcomers. Fortunately, we met several people through the breeder of our boy who were friendly and helpful. And we have since made a particular effort to be welcoming to new people (pay it forward!). We've made some excellent and cherished friends through dog events - yes, there are some people we prefer not to interact with unless we have no choice, but as Fran said, just say hello and move on. And come to Texas! We promise to be non-judgemental and friendly!

Terry

• @Chealsie508:

Nemo, I appreciate that you can respect my opinions and you are 100% right that people are blunt which comes off as mean and harsh. I find that those people need to tone it down. For instance, if I ask for advice on how to handle a situation I do not want to be met with a demeaning tone and such. This is the basis for my rant- not to bash everyone but to say that I haven't had the most pleasant experiences thus far and I think some get too caught up in themselves to extend themselves graciously toward willing and new owners

Maybe they were having a bad day and things weren't going right. Some take the events way too serious.

• I think part of the thing with agility is that, if you're training at a class, by the time you're competing (certainly by the time you're ready to compete with a basenji) you already know some people. And you know if you like them or if you should avoid them.

• Many years ago when I was relatively new to basenjis, I wanted to join the BCOA, knowing I was planning to be very involved in the breed. (Other interests we had, we always joined a local or national club for information and education, seemed logical to join my breed club) At a dog show I met a St.Pete breeder, now in Ocala, and she asked why I wanted to join, as I was not a breeder. She indicated that it was a small, closed group for "serious" basenji people only. I ran into her at another show a few years later and asked again about joining and found out you have to have 2 'sponsors' to join, so how would anyone ever get in unless you were already part of "the club"? That was way pre-internet. She did have a form and signed it, and took me to another breeder and vouched for me and he signed as well. So with all plans to join, I carefully put the form away so it wouldn't get lost, then couldn't remember where I put it! So I never joined, and was way too embarrassed to ask again for anyone to 'vouch' for me. I still go to at least one show a year and have found that most of the people are very kind, I have held dogs waiting to be shown, handed off to me by total strangers. I have also seen crabby, snooty people, but by far most are welcoming if you talk to them after the show, or well before. They get pretty focused right before ring time!

I like to think that our feisty members are just very passionate about the breed and their beliefs/knowledge. Some obviously know each other personally (for better or for worse) and some have a harsher tone than others, again, I like to think it is about passion rather than 'distemper'. Chealsie, I'm sorry you have had bad experiences. Many of the breeders I ran into 30 years ago were like that, but time seems to have not only helped with basenji disposition, but their breeders' as well!

• @MacPack:

Many of the breeders I ran into 30 years ago were like that, but time seems to have not only helped with basenji disposition, but their breeders' as well!

😃
    that made me laugh!

• Anne,

How do these breeders know that sometime in the future you might want to own a show dog? A club has to have new members or it will decline in membership over time. If I was a breeder and club member I would want people joining who are serious about the breed.

I think it is important for a newbie to the breed to attend shows and events as it is a good way to gain knowledge about Bs especially when it comes to type and movement.

Jennifer

• I thought the same thing back then, Jennifer, and was surprised that membership in BCOA was so difficult. And I did consider showing. The only puppy we ever bought, from south Florida, I planned to show but when told I had to cut off her long gorgeous whiskers, I decided her show career was ending before beginning, haha!
    Might take a stab at again some day, just for fun, when I retire. Thinking about a black boy pup next year…....

• Don't take my word for it; for those BCOA members - feel free to ask to join the group and see for yourself how hard folks have been working:

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/bcoahealth/

Linda, I took your advice and used this link to join the group. I have had my request answered. Since you invited us to join can you arrange to accept my request to join the group?
    Thanks
    Therese

• @Therese:

Linda, I took your advice and used this link to join the group. I have had my request answered. Since you invited us to join can you arrange to accept my request to join the group?
    Thanks Therese

I assume you mean you have NOT had your request answered??

I am just an auditor to the group though I do post and voice my unofficial opines on occasion since I am not on the committee.

I will send an email to the co-chairs/moderators and tell them there is a request from you. It is always possible they have not seen it as these is a ton of mail these days.

If I hear back I will let you know via email - assuming you do not get a reply for your request from them.

Hope that is sufficient.

• Thanks Linda, I got your message at home as well.
    Therese

Suggested Topics