SO frustrated with finding a VET! (long vent, sorry)

• I am very fortunate as my vet called me when they got a basenji in that looked like fanconi and asked if I would be willing to provide information for the owner. When the fanconi test looked to be a real thing - and I brought in the paperwork and instructions for them to have on file - all the vets came out to hear about it.

I have some packets at that office now so that they can refer for both fanconi and basenji thyroid.

I guess I'm just lucky although if I had an affected dog - I'm sure they don't have the blood gas machine.

• It looks promising that they are doing research. I have found a vet, that while they do not have the blood gas machine needed, we will go to the hospital, and in the parking lot, will draw the blood and will run it if ever need be. He was happy to look at all the info I provided him, including the Fanconi protocol and the Anesthesia write up. While I may never have to deal with this, God willing, at least they would try. I would definitely go in and talk to these vets personally. IMO

• I hope this place works for you. I just had a discussion with my vet and gave him an out if he didn't want to deal with Apache if and when he gets fanconi. He doesn't have and I Stat machine, but thankfully he said he'll do whatever he can and work with us and Dr. Gonto's protocol should the time come. Luckily for me, there's a few people with fanconi dogs down here and the I stat machine won't be a problem..a drive, but that will be the least of my worries at that point.

We'll be moving up north in a few years and I'll have to find a new vet then…I'm not looking forward to that.

• @Rivermoon:

I hope this place works for you. I just had a discussion with my vet and gave him an out if he didn't want to deal with Apache if and when he gets fanconi. He doesn't have and I Stat machine, but thankfully he said he'll do whatever he can and work with us and Dr. Gonto's protocol should the time come. Luckily for me, there's a few people with fanconi dogs down here and the I stat machine won't be a problem..a drive, but that will be the least of my worries at that point.

We'll be moving up north in a few years and I'll have to find a new vet then…I'm not looking forward to that.

Up North??? where..?

• Yes, where???

• We're going to be looking in Auburn, Ca….the grandkids are near there.

• You won't be too far from me then. Auburn is only about a 45 minute drive from here, provided there is no snow but it doesn't usually get that low.

• That's not far at all. I heard the snow usually melts fast if it does snow there.

I'm excited about the eventual move in itself..you have so many more events up there, plus we'll be getting at least an acre of land, the pups should love that. Looking for a new vet for all the pups and for one that is familiar with or will be willing to learn about Fanconi and then finding somewhere with an I Stat machine, I'm NOT looking forward too. I'm hoping I can find someone with the machine in Sacramento, otherwise I figure UC Davis will one.

How's it working with those vets and Tayda?

• The good news is that we have lots of good vets up here. The bad news is we also have a lot of mediocre vets too. I know several whippet people up that way and can ask for vet recommendations. My repro vet is in Orangevale and is a good vet in general and used to handle basenjis so is familiar with the breed.

• Thanks Lisa…when the time comes, I'll be asking for them. Orangevale wouldn't be that far either. While Auburn is our first choice..especially hubbies, we will also be considering some of the other towns in that area in Placer County.

Suggested Topics