• I need some A names for my first litter. I could even go with a theme but it will have to be A names. I'd love any help!

• you do mean starting with 'A'
    i know other breederd use this but with a theme i.e.
    'A' litter theme Books
    we personilly do neither just as the mood takes us, just when thay are playing around etc we get an idea for a name then it evolves
    let me explain one of our bitches is called widget as she was the smallest in the litter at the time, that name stuck so her call name is widget but it went from there to houte coture as in designers, so the whole litter ended up with names such as made to mesure that type of thing hope that helps
    if not there is a web site with 1000's of dog names pet but it is a starting point

• These are African names-

Aba- Born on Thursday
    Abayomi -Come to Bring Joy
    Abebi- We asked and we got her
    Abeo- Come to Bring Happiness
    Abla -Wild Rose
    Adaeze- Princess
    Adande -Challenger
    Adanma -Daughter of Beauty
    Adanna -Father's Daughter
    Adanne -Mother's Daughter
    Adero -Life Giver
    Adjua -Born on Monday
    Adwin -Artist
    Adzo -Born on Monday
    Afam -Friendly
    Afi -Born on Friday
    Agbeko- Life
    Aisha- Life
    Alyetoro- Peace on Earth
    Akili- Wisdom
    Akuabia -Here is Wealth
    Akuako -Youngest Twin
    Akwate -Oldest Twin
    Aidoo -Arrived
    Alaba -2nd Child
    Alaezi- Exonerated
    Ama -Born on Saturday
    Anisha-Star
    Antjie-graceful
    Asha –Life
    Ayanna -Beautiful Flower
    Ayo-Joy

• We did not do themes or alphabet, the dogs kind of named themselves mostly - Tex was named that because the white marking on his neck was the shape of the state of Texas…his sister was BG for Beautiful Girl - then we wound trying not to name the next litter except our keepers; they got numbers, but One became Juan, and Five/Fiver became Fiber, their brothers were Humvee because he was so big, and Mickey because he was as cute as a mouse. Their sister, who I knew I was keeping no matter how she turned out, was Lela Jamili which means Night or Dark Beauty in Swahili, according to the website for the Kamusi Project. Of course, call names don't always wind up matching reg. names, but we try. Juan is Juan Grande Illusion, Fiber is Fiber Optic Illusion. Our youngest girl was the only one of her litter to survive, and she fought so hard to live, I named her after an African warrior queen - she is Mlia (which means striped) Amina.

Terry

• Those are great names…I hope I come up with some good ones!

• I do themes for each litter. I pick a theme and the new owners can select from a name on my list or come up with something on their own. Of course, the new owners may call the puppy whatever they wish.

• I am not a breeder, but guess that most people change the name if they get them as a pup. I changed my dog's name when I got him at ten months and he caught on very quickly to who he was ;-). Just curious Annandael, do you always look for "A" names because of the Haus Annandael name?

• Owners usually pick their dog's Call Name and the dogs usually adjust pretty quickly to the new name. For the dog's Registered Names some breeders use themes, some go alphabetically with their litters, some just let the owners pick. I own two of Robyn's dogs, 1 from her "Time" litter, DC Sherwood's In The Nick of Time SC, RN, LCM and 1 from her "Moon" litter, DC Sherwood's Shadow of the Moon SC, FCH, JOR. Nicky picked his name and I kept his call name when he came to live with me. With Rally I picked her registered name and her call name but didn't make them match. With our co-bred litter, I chose a theme of Magic though I didn't require the word magic in any of the names. The pups are Kinetic Sourcery JC, Ch Kinetic's Enchanted Knight JC, Kinetic Heart of Lucky Magic JC, and Kinetic's Pharoah's Magician. By using a theme a breeder always knows just by the name which litter a pup is from.

• grouchybasenji,

Where did you get the african to english names from? I've been looking around and can't seem to find an african to english word translation dictionary around.

My male basenji's name is "Khafra" who happens to be an egyptian Pharoh. I'd love to find a source for more african names to pick from before I pick up my new girl in February.

Thanks,

nwdoug

• Here is an English/Swahili dictionary, http://www.cis.yale.edu/swahili/

• My girls name starts with A… Ashenputtel. It is german for cinderella 😃 We call her Ash or Ashen for short.

• Thanks for the reference!

• I know it sounds funny but you could go to www.babynames.com and do a search for names that start with "A", and you can also pick the origin/nationality of the names and gender. That's how I picked names for a few pets throughout the yrs

• the list for so long when I got my first female.

• Lisa, this site has been taken off line (at least that's what it says!)

• My dobermanns name was Farosken Skye Quest but her mothers name was "Ashkenasy ize Amazing" so I named her "Ashka" …theres another A name for your list,
    All her pups I named after gods and goddesses of Mythology but all had Asche (German for Ashes) as a first name so they had names like Asche Lucretia, Asche Romulus, Asche Horatius etc

• My niece's name is Arti. I'm so happy that there's an Arti basenji on this site. 🙂

Suggested Topics