• Looks like we're going to pray for a boy. My husband tells me dogs can't read and not to believe everything I read. But this is something I don't want to "test". We are definately going to try to get a male. If there isn't a male available this season I suppose we will wait until next year or try BRAT. Thanks for the info.

• @tanza:

I have found that littermate are the worst… especially of the same sex... many times even male/female littermates don't work.....

And dmcarty is right... the bitch is typically the alpha totally... hence to saying "Girls have an agenda, Boys don't have a clue"

This is a little off topic of the thread…but if the above is typical, is it more difficult if you have an older male (4 years) and you're getting a female puppy? It seems like he would be really annoyed if a younger female dog keeps trying to boss him around. Nemo was okay with my senior beagle but he has been on his own for the past 5 months. I'm slowly imagining what I'm going to get into. :rolleyes:

• Not necessarily. Most B's are pretty tolerant to the puppies-up until they are about 6 months old. Then they start telling them to 'knock it off'. After my boxer died, I had the heeler/am mix and she was about 5-6 when I got Shadow as a puppy. He pretty well ruled her for a bit, until she decided she had enough. Same with the other dogs that I got after Shadow. Shadow would put up with the girls for a few months and then suddenly, one day, BAM would not put up with any more nonsense from them. (I got three girls after him) He has been good with all of them. Damisi will still bug him to play.

• @MomOfMya:

Thanks Tanza! I will keep that in mind. I'm so afraid of male dogs and them lifting there legs on things. Are they as easy to train as females?

I have had the same experience with my fosters. The male/female pair work great but the female/female I just had bickered constantly.

• @MomOfMya:

Thanks Tanza! I will keep that in mind. I'm so afraid of male dogs and them lifting there legs on things. Are they as easy to train as females?

We have one of the few breeds that this doesn't happen… even with intact males... but especially it doesn't happen with neutered males. My boys have never lifted their leg in the house.. not even when the girls were in season and that is the time most will mark....

Are they as easy as girls? Depends on the male... remember the saying... Girls have an agenda... Boys don't have a clue... so while training "sometimes" they forget.....

• @Nemo:

This is a little off topic of the thread…but if the above is typical, is it more difficult if you have an older male (4 years) and you're getting a female puppy? It seems like he would be really annoyed if a younger female dog keeps trying to boss him around. Nemo was okay with my senior beagle but he has been on his own for the past 5 months. I'm slowly imagining what I'm going to get into. :rolleyes:

Most are pretty accepting of a puppy… What you need to be ready for is the "noise" they can and do make... especially when the older one is "teaching" the pup... Most people think they are killing the pup... but that is not so.... remember with Basenjis, key is when the "don't" make noise that you have a real serious fight on your hands...

• @Nemo:

My Tyler was 4 when Kate came. He was very tolerant. Rarely lost his temper with her, perhaps only 3-4 times. On the other hand, Kate was the aggressive little bitch from day one. Those little puppy needle teeth left scabs all over his neck and ears. Needless to say they sorted it out without our help. They sometimes grumble and snipe at each other to this day, but there has never been a fight that drew blood.

• I have 2 male basenjis 12 years, 11 years, one female basenji 2 years and one female malinois 17 months (acts about 7 months) and haven't had any real problems. Jet, the tri-ing, my 11 year old, is a bit grumpy inside, but enjoys playtime outside. He has lots of rules about indoor behavior and growls a lot, but, sadly for him, nobody pays much atttention to him (except the current and past malinois who both act a bit afraid of his growling). So, he growls, acts real tough, but has never hurt anyone. Digital, the brindlewonderkid, my 12 yo, is more playful and is a very tolerant gentleman. So you'd think my Zest puppy, is going to rule him, but every once in a while he'll put her in her place and she kowtows to him quickly (unlike with Jet, who she usually ignores him when he tries that).

• I've had three male basenjis over the years and never had any problem with them lifting legs in the house nor have I ever had any serious problems with training either.

• We once got a puppy with a 12 year old male (and an older female). For the first week the adults kept their distance from the girl pup, but within a couple of weeks my male and the pup were inseparable. She hung from his neck with those wicked teeth and he hardly ever growled at her, she was his little shadow and they adored each other. Adults will make terrible noise and flash fangs at the pups, especially at about 6 months when they are teenagers, but most pups ignore it all!
    Male dogs are usually very sweet and good with pups…females are, well, bitches.

Suggested Topics