• I think you need to stop, take a breath, and reconsider what you are doing and your priorities.
    If you want to keep the dog (and it sounds like you do) it will take some effort - there's no miracle instant cure.

You and your children could take 1-5 minutes here and there and do a little training exercises (go-to-mat; sit; stand; hide-and-seek-come; whatever). These little mini-training sessions can be built into your everyday necessary activities as well – for example, don't just put the dog food in the bowl but take 1 minute (or even just 30 seconds) and make him work for some kibble before he gets the rest; while the kids are sitting watching TV they can ask the dog to sit (or lay down or whatever) and give treat rewards (3 times in 30 seconds really will reinforce commands); if the dog grabs something he shouldn't don't get angry, take the item while still in the dog's mouth and say leave-it or drop-it and as soon as he does that give him a reward - he'll catch on pretty quick. If the dog jumps on your daughter, say down or off or whatever and reward as soon as the dog does so. Carry kibble or treats in your pockets so you will always have something available to reward good behavior (I always have little pieces in my pockets - gets kind of funny at the store when I'm trying to pull out a few coins). You might even get some treats that are just for extra special training or extra special behaviors.

Reward reward reward good behavior (but keep the treats small so the dog doesn't blimp out). And really, 30 seconds here and there will add up to a better behaved dog.

• We just got a Basenji (he was 9 months old). We too are learning quickly to put our things away. I totally feel your pain. I have found that he stresses when we are gone. We cleaned the kitchen really well and now leave him there with his bed, a chew toy and we have not had a problem since. My kids 5 and 7 help walk, play and train him but always with my supervision ( any dog can bite at any time). By 9 when it is bedtime he is tired and we are getting a very trained dog in the process. He can sit now, come when called, shakes hands and is not so ready to chew when not being watched. This is all in 30 days! I didn't know how smart this breed is and how quickly they can be trained but it takes consistancy. I have also lost 3 lbs walking this dog three times a day ( i find this a benefit!) Hang in there and keep us all posted. I hope you can work this out.

• I have to say that anyone on here that said no two are the same are so RIGHT. Jayden was just one on the 31st of Dec and Jaycee was two on the 26th of Dec. Jaycee is fun and for the most part very good about leaving things alone. Now Jayden well he is trouble all time but I still love the little pill. Over the gate to this day Jaycee never went over it. Jayden ate my daughters cell she should have picked it up her loss. Jayden ate my husbands glasses he should have picked them up. I love Jayden for one thing for sure I have told everyone in the house pick up your things and put them were they belong well Jayden is making that happen.
    Like today Jayden must have wanted bottled water he took lid off one of the bottles and well the rest is history sure am happy it was in the kitchen. Hang in there lots of love and tons of play time so - so correct a tired Basenji is a excellent Basenji. Good luck let us know how it goes.

Rita Jean

• It sounds like he is doing these things to get your attention. Dogs don't differentiate much between 'good' attention, and 'bad' attention…it is all attention. There is no quick answer for this...if you want to keep him, you will need to find a way to pay a lot more attention to him. The seven year old child should not be expected to 'correct' or deal with regular puppy antics. I agree with Lisa, lots of training games every day will get you more results right now than a mile walk. Right now, the dog has developed a habit of being 'naughty' to interact with the humans...you can change that, but it will take quite a bit of time and energy investment.

• First Basenji's

@LindaH:

What about your kids? Are they helping at all with the dog…like taking him for walks (assuming they're old enough...you don't mention their ages)? If the kids aren't old enough to take the dog for walks, then they could play with him in the back yard and help him wear off some of that energy. 100% of the care shouldn't fall on just your shoulders...get those kids involved, too, if they're not already (and that includes making sure their toys and clothes are picked up and the doors are shut...even small children can learn simple tasks such as these).

No truer statement when it comes to keeping the chewing to a low 'tear' threshold! Really, when we went on vacation to the Florida Keys and I KNEW there was not room to run freely and safely, I took Buddy on a run via the bicycle. Keep 'em going til you stop for 'pee' and keep on til he is panting! Then you know the little athlete has had his fill for the time being. Try the bike, it works. All logical safety thinking beforehand: proper lead/collar, timing, bike skills(the kids), etc, etc….....................

• @blitzburgh:

We just got a Basenji (he was 9 months old). We too are learning quickly to put our things away. I totally feel your pain. I have found that he stresses when we are gone. We cleaned the kitchen really well and now leave him there with his bed, a chew toy and we have not had a problem since. My kids 5 and 7 help walk, play and train him but always with my supervision ( any dog can bite at any time). By 9 when it is bedtime he is tired and we are getting a very trained dog in the process. He can sit now, come when called, shakes hands and is not so ready to chew when not being watched. This is all in 30 days! I didn't know how smart this breed is and how quickly they can be trained but it takes consistancy. I have also lost 3 lbs walking this dog three times a day ( i find this a benefit!) Hang in there and keep us all posted. I hope you can work this out.

I tried the same thing as you. We have a 13 month basenji boy (tri). He to as well tears everything apart. Mostly couches! Thank god he doesn't touch wires but of course everything has to be out of reach. We keep him in the kitchen and he was good for the first couple of days now he crys, whimpers chews the carpet and goes nuts if we leave him in there while we sleep or go out.

We extended his parameter from the kitchen into the hallway and it worked for sleeping but now when we go out he cries a lot and chews his mat. It seems he has separation anxiety, however, he never had that before when we left him to roam the house. We had to stop with his roaming due to his consistent couch chewing. Its extremely frustrating! If i didn't live in an apartment id crate him at night and during the day while we sleep but he is way to loud and he hurts his nose turns all red from trying to get out of the crate or gates.

• Have you thought about putting him in the bed WITH you when you sleep?

• @DebraDownSouth:

Have you thought about putting him in the bed WITH you when you sleep?

He used to sleep with us when we first got him but we had to stop because it would worsen my allergies. Ever since he stopped sleeping with us i'm now able to tolerate being around him.

Suggested Topics