• Advice please - My husband and I are hoping to work with Kipawa so that he can come with us when we go to my husband's rehab center. So, picture a lot of wheelchairs moving around the hospital and possibly depositing germs in various places. Also, in this rehab hospital people are re-learning to use their bowels and bladders - nuff said there.

What is your take on my Kipawa's health in this situation, be it that basenjis lick themselves to clean themselves (think paws being licked)? Humans can pick up some nasty problems in this kind of environment (e.g. e-coli). In this situation, and others, do dogs process germs the same way we do? Would I be putting Kipawa's health at risk?

• @Kipawa:

Advice please - My husband and I are hoping to work with Kipawa so that he can come with us when we go to my husband's rehab center. So, picture a lot of wheelchairs moving around the hospital and possibly depositing germs in various places. Also, in this rehab hospital people are re-learning to use their bowels and bladders - nuff said there.

What is your take on my Kipawa's health in this situation, be it that basenjis lick themselves to clean themselves (think paws being licked)? Humans can pick up some nasty problems in this kind of environment (e.g. e-coli). In this situation, and others, do dogs process germs the same way we do? Would I be putting Kipawa's health at risk?

Well, honestly, just walking your dog around the block they could pick up nasty germs… or at a dog show, or just about anyplace. Since many dogs visit nursing homes, etc... I have never really heard of it being a problem... and using a little common sense, such as you can wipe the paws off with antibacterial wipes... I would not think it would be a problem

• My guess is it would not be that much of an issue as long as Kipawa has a healthy immune system. Dogs can eat raw food after all without many problems and if humans were to do that they would be much more likely to get seriously ill.

• Take wipes, or sanitizer wipes, and wash feet when you leave 🙂

• I agree with Nemo - as long as a dog's immune system isn't compromised they are unlikely to pick up diseases easily. They can eat the most disgusting things and aren't affected. I know mine eat all sorts of objectionable things whenever they can and are perfectly healthy.

Suggested Topics