Skip to content

Recalls - dry foods containing any type of corn…..

Basenji Health Issues & Questions

Suggested Topics

  • Dry skin and fur

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    13
    0 Votes
    13 Posts
    6k Views
    ZandeZ
    @prasadvaze The body odour would suggest to me there is something being ingested that his body doesn't approve of. I would change his diet to something grain free to start with and I would also talk to a vet who is experienced with Basenjis. Not just any vet. Find one who knows our breed and is prepared to research your problem relative to Basenjis
  • Super dry skin

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    6
    0 Votes
    6 Posts
    5k Views
    TimesthemythT
    Olive oil works very quickly; cleared up my dogs dry skin in less than two weeks (though I put it in food) and is relatively cheap. Three table spoons a week I think is what vets have recommended. The high fat can cause some laxative issues though. You don't likely need fish [cod] oil after that, though if you have a decent fish source….never hurts as a supplement. Especially salmon. If you're neurotic about your dog's health [ as there is some controversy surrounding Olive oil], and wanting to pull out all the stops, just go straight for the fish oil.
  • Food for the finicky

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    1
    0 Votes
    1 Posts
    2k Views
    No one has replied
  • Homemade food?

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    3
    0 Votes
    3 Posts
    3k Views
    ibi_n_saneI
    i have no recepies, i make my own dog food most of the time as well and it is quite easy: cooked rice or cooked noodles ( I prefer noodles as that has more energy for my dogs ) then you add raw beef , mince, chicken, liver, kidneys , lamb whatever kind of meat, or fish ! and if you wish you can also add some mashed veggies and/ or herbs. By the way I only give noodles in the winter when they can use a bit more energy / fat. otherwise I mainly feed them raw and also bones and fresh tripe etc. But I guess that is not what you meant ;)
  • Dry Dog Foods

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    2
    0 Votes
    2 Posts
    3k Views
    S
    I use the Life Abudance and alternate between Paula Newmans. My dogs love it. Their coats look great. I totally support both of those dog foods.
  • Need Advice on Different Types of Food

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    19
    0 Votes
    19 Posts
    10k Views
    QuercusQ
    @TuckerVA: The wings are cooked in "Wingaling". I think they are pressure cooked, or something, to the point of being completely soft, yes? Those would probably be okay…... the problem occurs with baking and grilling, etc because it makes the bones brittle and more likely to splinter than raw, or cooked to mush.