• I agree renault, I have known several people who had to replace the seat belts in their cars after the Basenji ate them. Ours are always crated in the car and in the motorhome. In fact, once we tried to let our Tex out in the motorhome so he could lounge on the couch while we were on the road, and he refused to stay out - just kept going back to his crate and wanting back in! Some of ours will cry a bit when we start out, but once the car is in motion, they go to sleep.

Terry

• My guy just backs up, pulls his shoulders through and out of the harness. Quite the escape artist. Outside of the crate, if anyone has any ideas, please share.

• Well, looks like it is going to be a crate for the car, something that will either fit in the back seat (I don't have a hatchback) or something that will fit in the front seat, with the seat all the way back and backrest as far down as possible. I don't want to loose my new puppy/dog ever, because of improper car riding care.

• I would also vote for a crate….. but I have to say... for the trip home regardless what you go with, I would suggest that the passenger in the car if there is one sit with the pup... and can put hands in to reassure them....

If you are drive by yourself.. then... just "grin" and bare it... they will settle down after a bit...

And it helps if they have been playing lots before you leave.... same goes if you are flying... lots of play before you take off.....driving or flying

• Fran…another good thing about a crate in the car is that if they get sick, the cleanup is a lot easier.

I use bungy cords to secure the crates so they don't move. In my last car I would hook the cords to the bottom of the seats - in my new car there are actual lash points. I also put bedding in the crates that doesn't slide around - along with a stuffed toy and a dental dinosaur.

With a sedan you should be able to find a crate that fits in the back seat (check out a wire 200 series or vari kennel medium size - most likely with a soft crate they will chew through it). My new car can fit 2 crates in the back seat without folding the seats down. If you have a coupe, front seat would probably be your option.

• Yes, I do drive a coupe, so the front seat will be where the crate will go, and great idea about the bungee cords! Because my hubby is in a wheelchair, he doesn't drive with me in my car. When we are together, he drives his van. So at that time, we can put the crate in the back compartment where it will not do much moving at all.

Thank you everyone for your comments.

• @Ellusionz:

Here's another style to open your options:
    http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3307+12+22221&pcatid=22221

Or something more seatbelt like?
    http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3307+12+16689&pcatid=16689

Hi Ellusionz - I LOVE that first items, but I am scared it would become a basenji chew toy. If there was something in a hard plastic that was more durable, I think it would be great. But you have the right idea about what I was kind of looking for.

The second item looks good, but do you think a basenji could wriggle out of it? Otherwise, I like it. I will do a little more research on it.

Awhile back, I was also looking at a new vehicle instead of my sports coupe. Something more dog friendly. The Element (a Honda cube style vehicle) looked really nice, and they even had a "dog version". But the carrier in the back of the vehicle was the same fabric as the first item you linked to. I remember thinking how nice it looked , but how durable was it. I guess it was perfect for a non-chewing dog. 🙂

Thanks so much for your suggestions. I really appreciate it.

• Houston

Fran,
    I have the seatbelt looking thing for all my dogs, rarely use it though as I feel they are safer in a crate should we wreck..yes the seatbelt will make them confined but the crate would protect them more. All of my dogs are OK using the seatbelt, Otis never once tried wiggling out..

• Okay, I am definitely going with a crate for the car. And who knows, maybe at some point in time the sports coupe will be traded in towards a more dog friendly car. I had actually looked at the Honda Element at the Seattle Dog Show and liked it. But Honda is stopping to make the model, so I might look at something else. But the crate in the back seat will be it for now. Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

• @Kipawa:

Okay, I am definitely going with a crate for the car. And who knows, maybe at some point in time the sports coupe will be traded in towards a more dog friendly car. I had actually looked at the Honda Element at the Seattle Dog Show and liked it. But Honda is stopping to make the model, so I might look at something else. But the crate in the back seat will be it for now. Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

You should do fine with the crate in your car. If I could fit one in the front seat of a MINI Cooper, you should do fine with yours!

…and ha! I too looked at the Element (and lots of other vehicles at Lure Coursing this summer :D). The big negative to me with the Element was how the seats folded - they fold to the side and partially block the back side windows so the only way you could drive with the back seat folded would be take them out (uh, no). When I seriously started looking/test driving cars at the end of August, I made all the dealers fold down the back seats so I could gauge how crates would work - some even offered to let me put the crates in the back while figuring it it out.

• I always take crates with me when shopping for a new car….ggggg, if they didn't like me seeing how they fit, I just told them if they wanted to make the sale, deal with it!

• Regarding putting a crate in the front seat: what happens in case of an accident when the airbag goes off…what effect does that have on a crate?

Also, it would seem to me (and I'm certainly no expert) giving a dog reassurance/affection..."oh, poor doggy, it's OK"...when s/he's in a nervous state would simply reinforce that nervousness. If you're talking to the dog in a high-pitched voice, telling him it's OK, aren't you telling him it's OK to be nervous?

When we were bringing our SOB dog (Some Other Breed; i.e., not a Basenji) home from the breeder in a crate and she started creating a fuss, a simple rap on the crate and a "tsst" from me and she settled right down.

I guess we were fortunate with Maxx...we used a seat belt harness with him and he never tried chewing on the harness or the seat belt.

• @LindaH:

Regarding putting a crate in the front seat: what happens in case of an accident when the airbag goes off…what effect does that have on a crate?

That's a good point. In my car (2011) and in my brother's truck (2003) there is a key slot to turn off the front passenger airbag (mine also turns off the front passenger side airbag). Hmmm…I thought that was mandatory in the US now because of the possible need to carry a child safety seat in the front.

• We use a crate with Malaika and she's very happy to travel in it.
    She is also trained to stay in the crate whilst i open the door, she then comes out and does a sit stay on the seat whilst we put her lead on.

• @renaultf1:

Hmmm…I thought that was mandatory in the US now because of the possible need to carry a child safety seat in the front.

Could be now, but our 2007 Dodge Ram pickup doesn't have an on/off switch for the passenger side air bag.

• @LindaH:

Regarding putting a crate in the front seat: what happens in case of an accident when the airbag goes off…what effect does that have on a crate?

I have the airbag on the passenger side turned off. I rarely if ever have a passenger in there. We drive mostly in my hubby's van. But now I will have a passenger with me, so excellent that the airbag there is OFF.

• I can say with great certainty that the most expensive part of a 1973 VW beetle IS the passenger's seat belt.

Now I have a mini van and dogs ride in crates (kennel aire crates with the one inch spacing). I do miss that little yellow bug though . . .

• While we are on the subject, make sure you have a contact who can pick up your dogs if you are in an accident. I was in an accident many years ago with my jack russell terrier and while I had to go to the hospital, he couldn't go in the ambulance. I had to leave him with complete strangers as I had to get to the hospital ASAP. It is against the "rules" for a pet to ride in an ambulance!

• @houseofeirini:

While we are on the subject, make sure you have a contact who can pick up your dogs if you are in an accident. I was in an accident many years ago with my jack russell terrier and while I had to go to the hospital, he couldn't go in the ambulance. I had to leave him with complete strangers as I had to get to the hospital ASAP. It is against the "rules" for a pet to ride in an ambulance!

old thread I know 🙂 but I am searching a bunch and trying to catch up read up 🙂

anyway
    thanks great tip I never thought of 🙂 and I used to be a medic on rigs many many years ago 🙂

thanks again

Suggested Topics