Skip to content

basenjis housebreaking bea rafiki and dixie basenjis

Basenji Training

Suggested Topics

  • What is YOUR Basenji like?

    Basenji Training
    8
    0 Votes
    8 Posts
    10k Views
    Buddys PalB
    so I just got back to this forum and began reading through some threads, what was issheforme final decision for getting a basenji?
  • Help with my Basenji

    Basenji Training
    1
    0 Votes
    1 Posts
    2k Views
    No one has replied
  • Evil basenjis

    Basenji Training
    8
    0 Votes
    8 Posts
    8k Views
    dmeyD
    I have had that same situation with Ayo,only with him it's usually with large dogs. we only have one area at the park here, all together, small dogs and big dogs. When he goes in he always chooses one big dog , runs up to him and starts growling. Sometimes he stops very quickly, or the other dog growls back and it stops or it escalates , usually because the other dogs owner freaks out. He is fine around small dogs. And I am pretty sure that he is fine with most dogs, that if I leave them they will work it out, but I'm afraid to let it play out because bigger dogs can really hurt him, and also because usually the other owner freaks and intervenes making everything worse. Sooo, Ayo has started to get a bit of a rep.. The basenji rep!! I usually wait till only small dogs are in…
  • Geriatric Basenji

    Basenji Training
    10
    0 Votes
    10 Posts
    6k Views
    MacPackM
    The cold probably made her stiffer than usual, so a small misstep might cause a fall. Glucosamine kept my old girl going for several years, good luck with your oldie.
  • How can i housebreak my basenji

    Basenji Training
    4
    0 Votes
    4 Posts
    4k Views
    M
    I got my pup when he was 7 months and he was sort of house broken. When I took him to the vet I found out that part of his house breaking issues was that he had a bladder infection. If you continually have problems house breaking (like very frequent urination or peeing in the crate) you may want to have your vet test for a bladder infection just to make sure. Another problem I discovered was that he didn't know how to tell me he had to pee. I hung bells on the door and by having him ring them every time we went out I taught him to tell me when has to pee. It has been great. Some times he rings them just to go out and play, but mostly he rings them when he really has to go out. Now the only "accidents" he's had is when I ignore the bells b/c I am busy. (he literally peed all over the living room the other night because I ignored him) One other suggestion, make sure you use an enzyme cleaner on any "accident" spots. These really eat away the reminants of the feces/pee so that your b will not recognize the area as an ok place to go to the bathroom Other helpful tips I got was to be sure you use the same door when you take your b out and take it to the same part of the yard. Give your b LOTS of praise for going outside (and a treat if it is food motivated).
  • Basenji Clothing

    Basenji Training
    10
    0 Votes
    10 Posts
    10k Views
    JalaJ
    I use this brand: http://www.weatherbeeta.com/ The cover I have for Jala (standard female) is 40cm or 16" (neck to tail measurement). This cover is really warm and waterproof. Subaruthie, the hoodies you made look so cool! :) [image: attachment_p_23194_0_img_0660.jpg] [image: attachment_p_23194_1_img_0659.jpg]