Hunt kennel dist/ todays pets/ puppy mill? sebastian info needed

• hi all
    i got sebastians microchip number from the vet today

traced it to homeagain who traced it to hunt kennel distributors in mo who sold sebastian in 2002 to todays pets in columbia maryland

jonathan buthy of olney maryland purchased sebastian and then moved to cape may new jersey which is where sebastian was found in a shelter

have called jonathan buthy to try to keep following the info trail and am waiting/hoping for a call back

so anyone have any idea which puppy mill might have supplied sebastian to hunt kennel distributors?
    i assume someone in missouri?
    hoping someone might give me a lead as to breeder so we can get more info on him
    am going to try hunt tomorrow to see if i can find out the breeder he came from
    any help/info would be great 🙂

• well after an afternoon spent making phone calls i have located sebastians owners the woman was in tears she was sooo happy that sebastian (charlie) was found and is safe!
    she purchased sebastian almost 9 years ago from a pet store and lost him one night while travelling.

will have to wait to find out what brat wants to do but for now its a happily ever after story 🙂 dont you just love it ? brings a tear to MY eye 🙂

• goodness, how long was Sebastion nee Charlie on walkabout? is he going to be returned to her?

• sebastian was lost and in the shelter for over a month and has been here with me for over a month so about 2 1/2 months total.

the woman asked if she could have him back but i told her it wasnt up to me and that someone from brat would contact her. also told her it would be good if she could reimburse brat the 250.00 in medical fees spent on charlie so far. but she was soo happy to hear that he was found and safe and happy she spent a good 5 minutes crying said she has been having dreams nightmares about him for the last week or so
    im hoping brat will evaluate the home as though they are potential adopters before returning him, i cant imagine my dog being in a shelter for over a month and not finding him? she said looked on pet finder for a basenji in new jersey and never found him seems a little sketchy to me but…..
    who knows?

• Feel free to read about Miss Raley… on leave for 6 months.

http://www.khanisbasenjis.com/Basenjis_ARE_Survivors_finaldraft.pdf

This DOES happen… with a happy ending.

I hope Sebastien/Charlie is doing well!

• @westcoastflea1:

im hoping brat will evaluate the home as though they are potential adopters before returning him, i cant imagine my dog being in a shelter for over a month and not finding him? she said looked on pet finder for a basenji in new jersey and never found him seems a little sketchy to me but…..
    who knows?

He was lost while traveling – that happens and people often can't take additional time on a trip to search for a dog, esp. one that may move as quickly as a Basenji. It's possible she thought that any shelters would check for microchips and notify her if he turned up in a shelter. I can totally see her thinking he was either gone forever, or had been picked up by an individual
    and kept or sold via petfinder, craigslist, etc.

I hope she gets her dog back without any difficulty.....

• First Basenji's

What an interesting development! I'm so happy that an original owner was found! Can you imagine how she must feel…?

I'm a little confused as to why the information on the microchip wasn't followed up on earlier by the shelter.

• What a happy (curly tailed) ending for Charlie and his Mom! THANK YOU for being persistent and taking the time to investigate his microchip so that he can be re-united with his mom.

If he's a rooing chap, I hope he tells her one big long story about his adventure. I wish I could understand basenji-nese. 🙂

Hearts and kisses to you, West Coast Flea! 🙂

• hi there
    it looks like charlie will be reunited with his family 🙂
    not sure when yet as brat hasnt contacted the family but it looks like all the admin feel this is a happy ending.

charlies owners never registered the microchip with the company when they purchased charlie at the pet store , i would imagine the shelter scanned it and when the only info that came back was the makers name they didnt pursue it.

people seem to feel that the owner DID do enough when trying to find charlie, i personally dont think so, but…. the fact that others do makes me think that its alright for charlie to go back, that they are a good loving family, and that i might be too harsh in judging their actions, or lack of, when trying to find charlie, so to all who posted thanks for your opinions 🙂 i hate to say it but its going to be hard to see him go, selfish i know, intellectually i know its best, and im happy for him and his family, emotionally im not doing very well with it. charlie is my first foster and its just starting to sink in that he will be gone soon which makes me very sad for me and very happy for him,
    hope brat has another foster for me soon 🙂

• Houston

What a happy ending..thank you so much for bringing the great news, sometimes, I mean, a lot of times, we need these great news stories.

• First Basenji's

Well let that be a lesson to keep your pets' microchips up to date!

You deserve a medal for your sleuthing and followup work, Westcoastflea. I'm sure it's hard not to give a little bit of your heart to every dog you foster (and rest assured, there will always be more if you want them!)… but now you can also hope for occasional updates, maybe, from his happy family. It'll surely be a happy reunion, and it wouldn't have happened without your help.

• tomorrow is the day they are coming to get sebastian,
    driving from new jersey to maine and back again in one day
    it really is a happy ending 🙂
    i have to admit its bittersweet, im so happy for him and his family but its really really going to be hard saying goodbye tomorrow sebastian was a very special guy 🙂

• West Coast Flea, there is a family on this forum that lost their red boy from Texas- about a year ago, if memory serves me right. I know that they have hope that someday, they will see their boy's picture on here and that they will be reunited. I'm so glad that Charlie will have that opportunity to go home, and that you, unselfishly, kept persuing it until you found resolution. Some people may have stopped thinking about what's good for the dog, or what's good for the humans that loved him (for 9 years?)… you have brought peace of heart to another basenji lover! 🙂

I, for one, never really thought about microchipping until I found this forum 6 months ago- or about Fanconi, or thyroid issues. I'm glad there's a global network of caring people that are here to support each other.

I hope your next foster is lucky to have another happy ending! You should changed your user name to Basenji Angel! 🙂

• sebastians family came to pick him up this morning

the family is wonderful, and sebastian clearly loves them all.

when sebastian first saw them he put his ears back and showed more animation then ive ever seen in him he licked them which he never does.
    he made it very very clear that he was sooo happy.

after about an hour when i started feeling that it was time to wind the reunion down, sebastian had been leashed and instead of getting excited and heading for the door which is the norm, sebastian came over to me i was kneeling on the floor and even with all the commotion going on around him sebastian came over and put his forehead against my stomach and stood between my legs for a good 3-4 minutes even while the kids were tugging on his leash, then he put his head up and looked into my eyes for a good minute, then walked to my roommate and did the same thing for about 60 seconds , then turned and went to his family, at which point they left.
    im not one for humanizing animals but i really believe he knew that his family was here and that he was leaving and he wanted to say goodbye
    this couldnt have had a happier ending 🙂
    attachment_p_121644_0_sebastian4dcp_4541.jpg
    attachment_p_121644_1_sebastian7dcp_4545.jpg

• I don't know how i missed this thread earlier…but I am sooo thrilled that he found his family! or actually that YOU found his family. Thanks for going the extra mile to find out his real story. His frantic searching behavior makes a lot of sense now....doesn't it?

What a wonderful ending 🙂

• @Quercus:

His frantic searching behavior makes a lot of sense now….doesn't it? What a wonderful ending 🙂

Wow, doesn't it explain it!! That is fantastic that he is back with his family. The pics really show how happy the family is to have him back and how happy he is to have them again. I'm happy that there were no issues in them getting him back.

I know it is my worst fear that one of mine gets out and I can't find them. Thankfully he was turned in to a shelter and thankfully you did the searching with the info you got. I love a happy ending. :D:D:D

• i always thought happy endings were just something you saw at the movies, but today proved me wrong
    brats monthly blog as of next week? will be about sebastian/charlie.

• First Basenji's

Such a sweet story and a happy reunion. Thank you for sharing.

p.s. I hope you told them about the tape worms. 😉

• I guess I can understand how travelling with your dog, hubby and kids can get a bit chaotic, resulting in someone (the dog in this case) getting lost. Maybe in a situation like this the travellers can each have a 'shift' of being responsible for the dog.

What a beautiful ending to this story - especially Charlie/Sebastian coming over to you to tell you how much he appreciated everything you did for him.

• yes
    i told them about the tapeworms and about his neck disc issues
    and what kind of food id been feeding him and to walk him on a harness not a collar and how much he liked the dog park and on and on and on 🙂
    told them about this site and fanconi and all those things overprotective basenji moms go on and on about, but kelly handled it all really well and understood it was all about my having a hard time letting him go
    she was really sweet about the whole thing 🙂
    so im ready for my next foster!

Suggested Topics